Imagination and Meaning in Calvin and Hobbes…

Imagination and Meaning in Calvin and Hobbes (edition 2012)

by Jamey Heit

Member:ChristineMM
Title:Imagination and Meaning in Calvin and Hobbes
Authors:Jamey Heit
Info:McFarland (2012), Paperback, 220 pages
Tags:comics, literary analysis, academic

Imagination and Meaning in Calvin and Hobbes by Jamey Heit

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's not so easy to admit when reviewing such an intellectual book, but I'll be honest - I expected more pictures. Ok, any pictures. To be fair I didn't want the density of the prose discourage me, but it seems like a sad joke that a book aiming to parse out the "imagination and meaning" of Calvin and Hobbes attempts to do so without any of the charm and wonder of its source material. At least it makes me look smart sitting on my shelf. ( )
  solanum | Jul 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jamey Heit. Imagination and Meaning in Calvin and Hobbes. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2012. 220 pp. $40.00.

As a preaching minister in the Christian Church I appreciate discussions on intertextuality and hermeneutics. However, I normally associate such terms with the Bible and not with my most beloved comic. If ever there was a comic that deserved such learned recognition it is Calvin and Hobbes. Yet, I was not prepared for such heavy lifting when I received this text. My preconceived assumptions of this book being a light-hearted read are due to the title and the look of the front cover. I have no one to blame but myself. If you simply love Calvin and his stuffed tiger sidekick, you may want to stick with just reading the comic books. However, if you love philosophical discussions this may be a good fit. ( )
  amramey | Dec 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It has taken me forever to muddle through this book. One definitely needs a solid grounding in philosophy to get the most out of this book. It was not the light-hearted read I had envisioned, but that does not mean it was bad. In fact, I thought it was quite good - just not what I was expecting.
  Suso711 | Apr 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I expected a lighthearted and humorous take on Calvin and Hobbes but what I got was a Ph.D dissertation. I don't fault the book but my own preconceived notions. The book is worth the read if you want a more erudite and technical look at Calvin and Hobbes but definitely not for the faint of heart. ( )
  surlysal | Mar 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is definitely not Calvin and Hobbes the comic strip. This is a very dense and very academic work of philosophical analysis of a comic strip. Definitely not for the feint of heart. Jamey Heit does a very interesting and freewheeling analys si of the meaning and structure of the humor behind Calvin and Hobbes, one of the more cerebral and delightful comic strips in recent years.

The analysis gets very complicated very quickly, Jacque Derrida gets mentioned in the second page of the first essay. So this is not for the casual fan, this is for the fan of the strip that also has a good grounding in modern philosophy.

It is very interesting and very very intellectually stimulating, but I can see where people who bought the book for some lighthearted reading about their favorite strip can get turned off. ( )
  pw0327 | Feb 24, 2013 |

From 1985 to 1995, the syndicated comic strip Calvin and Hobbes followed the antics of a precocious six-year-old boy and his sardonic stuffed tiger. At the height of its popularity, the strip ran in more than 2,400 newspapers and generated a fan base that continues to run in the millions. This critical analysis of Calvin and Hobbes explores Calvin's world and its deep reservoir of meanings. Close readings of individual strips highlight the profundity of Calvin's world with respect to a number of life's big questions, including the things that one values, friendship, God, death, and other struggles in life. By engaging with Calvin and Hobbes as more than "just" a comic strip, this work demonstrates how the imagination remains an invaluable resource for making sense of the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:40 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Imagination and Meaning in Calvin and Hobbes by Jamey Heit was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,024,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible