Ancestors of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter by…

Ancestors of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter

by Jeff Carter

This book seems to be more of a reference book than a "reading" book. ( )
  Georgia.Bets | Jan 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed reading thru this book. I probably would have been more interested if the Carter lines had matched my family's line. This was well documented, and for someone that is related this would be a great resource for you. ( )
  CharlesSvec | Nov 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Better organized and more conscientious than some genealogy books. I think a great many Georgia families would have a similar history
  cstebbins | Oct 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My head is spinning. I have never read a genealogy book before and was astounded by the amount of information provided by Jeff Carter. He must have been researching for years and it is evident when he traces his ancestry back to 16th century England and Ireland.
That said, it was a difficult book to read because it was information dense. Because I am not related at all it was hard to keep all the names straight without a family tree diagram. The stories about fighting in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars and other family issues were very interesting but not nearly enough to keep me glued to the book.
If you are doing research on any of these families, this book would be extremely helpful because it includes footnotes, bibliography and index. If you just want a good read, this is probably not the book for you. ( )
  book58lover | Oct 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
To me the greatest value in this book was the social history tied to each of the many ancestors reported, spread across several eastern seaboard states. A couple of the people mentioned are folks I recognized as being the same people as appear in my own family's history - something to add to my own research, in Maryland and North Carolina. Much of the social history from Virginia, South Carolina, and Georgia was new to me, and I learned a lot and found it extremely interesting.

I have worked on a number of family history books, and thoroughly appreciated the great effort (and love) that went into this great work. Some researchers have nit-picked details that may or may not be correct. Those are the least of my concern. This extremely detailed, very complex report is a valuable contribution to the family and all of the people with whom the extended families reported have come in contact. The documentation is exceptional in quantity and sets a high standard for other families that may want to create such a book of their own. If you haven't actually done a complete book, such as this one, you cannot have sufficient understanding to criticize the work, in my opinion.

Thanks to Jeff, and those many folks who assisted him, and who went before him in the research, for sharing this bit of social history for the general public. ( )
  smithwil | Oct 4, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jeff Carter's book Ancestors of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,456,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible