Paul Bunyan by Steven Kellogg

Paul Bunyan (1984)

by Steven Kellogg

796None11,573 (3.8)2

The story of “Paul Bunyan” is a fun twist on a classic tale. This version of the story follows the story of a young boy named Paul growing up in the city. He often stood out in the city because of how large he was in size. It was then that his family decided to move to the woods. He grew up to become a very rugged and outdoorsy man who loved lumber-jacking and even created a few of our countries greatest monuments. The main idea of this story was to focus on the life of Paul Bunyan and to show how people who may be different or cast aside can grow up to do great things. One way the story showed this was making Paul responsible for some of the beautiful monuments that we admire today. By making Paul the creator of the Great Lakes and the Grand Canyon the reader realizes that Paul had a rough childhood but he was able to grow up and create something beautiful that they are aware of and can relate to. This also helps in adding to the greatness and memory of Paul’s story. Another way the story supported the message was by having everyone come around and love him in the end. It showed that even though some parts of your life can be hard (like the beginning of Paul’s life) if you keep working hard (like Paul did) you can achieve great things and get great recognition for it (like all the people who judged Paul in the beginning came around). Finally, the illustrations greatly added to this story. They were extremely detailed pictures which made me really enjoy this book. Every time I looked at a picture I discovered a new detail that I hadn't seen before. The illustrations were so detailed that you could almost understand the story without the text. They really added to the story. ( )
  CarolinePfrang | Apr 2, 2014 |
Although I have frequently heard of Paul Bunyan, I have never actually known his story, so it was enjoyable to finally read this book. I would definitely use this book in my future classroom because it is comical and really engaging for young readers. The first reason I liked this book is due to the detailed and appealing illustrations on every page. The illustrations come off as colorful sketches done in pencil, which is a unique way to approach illustrating a book. It gives the book a more rustic feel, as it is a told and re-told folk tale. Each page has so much detail in the illustrations. For example, on one page that depicts a party to celebrate all of the holidays, you can see all of the carefully drawn ornaments on a Christmas tree in the distance if you look closely enough. The second reason I liked this book is because the plot was comical in a subtle way that children and adults would find humor in. For example, the author discusses how Paul Bunyan took a few days off from work to dig the Great Lakes, which everyone knows isn’t possible. It also mentions how The Grand Canyons were actually formed because Paul dropped his ax out of sadness and dragged it across the ground. It was really entertaining to read about Paul’s antics across America. There was no obvious moral theme of the story, but the big idea was that Paul Bunyan and his ox still roam the wilderness to this day and can be heard in the distance if you listen hard enough. ( )
  apetru5 | Mar 27, 2014 |
This book is fairly straightforward retelling of the Paul Bunyan story. The text is appropriate for an early/middle elementary student to read, and the illustrations provide much more backing detail. It would be a particularly good book to use with kids for learning how to look at the pictures for additional clues about the story. For example, we read that the neighbors didn't like Paul's logging exploits as a child, and the picture shows him uprooting apple trees in an orchard. Many small details, such as Paul's weight at birth, are shown in the drawings. The book weaves together many separate "mini-tall tales" about Paul's exploits. It doesn't really create suspense for an integrated story line, but more an anticipation for "what ridiculous thing will happen next?"
  susan.mccourt | Jan 16, 2014 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. One reason I liked it was the illustrations. There was a lot going on in the background of the pictures. Even though there were simple words on each page, the illustrations told more to the story. It help show the setting and what Paul Bunyon was doing on his adventures. The illustrations also showed his large size because he was big in the foreground while the many animals and objects in the background were small. I also liked that this story mentioned areas of America. It mentions that he can "hear in Alaskan mountain ranges," and that his "ax created the Grand Canyon." I liked that Kellogg showed that this was an American traditional story by implementing aspects of America. The main idea of this book is that every person is special and can make a contribution to the Earth, no matter what their size. ( )
  SamanthaThompson | Nov 20, 2013 |
There are several reasons that I liked this book. First, I enjoyed the illustrations in this book because they portrayed the setting in a way that the text was not able to. For example, the book begins by saying that Paul Bunyan was born in Maine, but other than that the text just states typical traditional literature characteristics. Yet, the illustrations embellished the pages and expressed the type of place Paul Bunyan grew up in. Second, I enjoyed the author’s introduction of characters in the story that affected the main character’s story. For instance, the author used the character, Babe, who was an ox in order to help Paul Bunyan adjust to being so much larger than everyone else in the story. The main idea of this book is that Paul Bunyan was a giant who was able to conquer great feats that crossed his path. ( )
  kharri34 | Nov 4, 2013 |
For my heroic nephew, Steve Hoffman
Paul Bunyan was the largest, smartest, and strongest baby ever born in the state of Maine.
Early one morning after a ferocious storm, a huge cradle washed up near a town in Maine. Inside the cradle was the biggest baby anyone had ever seen. It took the milk of five cows to fill his bottle!
Fueled by the powerful mixture of flapjacks and syrup, the men leveled the Great Plains and shaved the slopes of the Rocky Mountains.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688058000, Paperback)

Do you know how the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River were first formed? How about the Great Plains and the Grand Canyon? Some people think these wonders were established by the forces of nature, but those folks clearly haven't heard of Paul Bunyan, the "strongest, smartest, and tallest hero of the tallest of American tall tales." Paul and his pal, Babe the Blue Ox, were responsible for creating all these geographic features as they worked their way west with their unusual lumber crew. Paul's adventures begin when he is just a baby (who can lift a cow over his head) and continue as he grows into the biggest lumberjack in the world. All the basic stories about Paul Bunyan are here in this rollicking tale, as well as a few inventive incidents added by author and illustrator Steven Kellogg.

Kellogg is well known for his stories about Pinkerton the Great Dane, retellings of classic tales such as Chicken Little, and illustrations for books such as How Much Is a Million? by David Schwartz. But Kellogg's most important contribution to children's literature is his series on American folk heroes, including Johnny Appleseed, Mike Fink, Sally Ann Thunder Ann Whirlwind Crockett, and of course, the tallest hero of the tallest tale of all--Paul Bunyan. A great legend and great fun. (Ages 5 to 9) --Marcie Bovetz

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:39 -0400)

Recounts the life of the extraordinary lumberjack whose unusual size and strength brought him many fantastic adventures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible