Paul Bunyan 20th Anniversary Edition…

Paul Bunyan 20th Anniversary Edition (Reading Rainbow Book) (original 1984; edition 1985)

Member:msbhaven
Title:Paul Bunyan 20th Anniversary Edition (Reading Rainbow Book)
Authors:
Info:HarperTrophy (1985), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

Paul Bunyan by Steven Kellogg (1984)

This version of "Paul Bunyan" is just like all of the other ones that I have read throughout my childhood. This story tells the story of a man named Paul Bunyan who is a giant man. The story goes through his journey of working with the best lumber company. They work all over the United States clearing out the trees to make room for new things to be built. The author explains that he gets his energy from giant flapjacks and syrup. The story is a tall tale because Paul Bunyan actually could work with lumber, but giants aren't real. The pictures take the reader through his story by showing detailed pictures of what the words are saying. Without the illustrations, the story would be very boring because they show so many details about his story. It also stays true to the original story of Paul Bunyan. They author didn't change the story he kept it as close to the original as he could. I like this because when I was reading this story, it brought me back to my childhood. I think it is important to keep this story close to the original because it is a great story and it shouldn't change. ( )
  Emorrison | Sep 20, 2016 |
This is a nicely illustrated Folklore. It follows the life of a very tall Paul Bunyan and his Ox. They live an adventurous life together and end up wherever the journey leads them.
  OliviaJacobson | Sep 13, 2016 |
This book was a great read to learn the legend behind Paul Bunyan. The plot was well worked with, displaying Paul's entire life from birth to disappearance. I also really enjoyed the illustrations because it makes the book seem very inviting to young readers. The writing I felt was also well used because it made the imaginative texture come to life. The main message of the book is to tell the tale of American folk hero Paul Bunyan. ( )
  zwatso1 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because the writing was very descriptive and kept the reader engaged, for example the words they use to describe the characters strength. But I didn't like the illustrations. I thought they were too hectic. They were very descriptive however there was too much going on on just one page therefore it was difficult to concentrate on the texts. ( )
  tazool1 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I was not a big fan of this book. I thought there was just way too much going on in the book to pay attention. I know that it was telling Paul Bunyan's story but for me it was hard to concentrate on it. I did like the pictures in the book though they were interesting to look at and that is what kept me reading. The pictures had so much detail that added to the text so when they were talking about him fighting someone you actually saw it. ( )
  escalc1 | Mar 23, 2016 |

Steven Kelloggprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dempster, WilliamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Buddy EbsenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my heroic nephew, Steve Hoffman
Paul Bunyan was the largest, smartest, and strongest baby ever born in the state of Maine.
Early one morning after a ferocious storm, a huge cradle washed up near a town in Maine. Inside the cradle was the biggest baby anyone had ever seen. It took the milk of five cows to fill his bottle!
Fueled by the powerful mixture of flapjacks and syrup, the men leveled the Great Plains and shaved the slopes of the Rocky Mountains.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688058000, Paperback)

Do you know how the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River were first formed? How about the Great Plains and the Grand Canyon? Some people think these wonders were established by the forces of nature, but those folks clearly haven't heard of Paul Bunyan, the "strongest, smartest, and tallest hero of the tallest of American tall tales." Paul and his pal, Babe the Blue Ox, were responsible for creating all these geographic features as they worked their way west with their unusual lumber crew. Paul's adventures begin when he is just a baby (who can lift a cow over his head) and continue as he grows into the biggest lumberjack in the world. All the basic stories about Paul Bunyan are here in this rollicking tale, as well as a few inventive incidents added by author and illustrator Steven Kellogg.

Kellogg is well known for his stories about Pinkerton the Great Dane, retellings of classic tales such as Chicken Little, and illustrations for books such as How Much Is a Million? by David Schwartz. But Kellogg's most important contribution to children's literature is his series on American folk heroes, including Johnny Appleseed, Mike Fink, Sally Ann Thunder Ann Whirlwind Crockett, and of course, the tallest hero of the tallest tale of all--Paul Bunyan. A great legend and great fun. (Ages 5 to 9) --Marcie Bovetz

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:46 -0400)

Recounts the life of the extraordinary lumberjack whose unusual size and strength brought him many fantastic adventures.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,223,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible