Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break…

Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break Free of Your Sugar Addiction…

by Connie Bennett

Since this is a book about cutting out sugar, it is ironic that the author uses a saccharine tone that began grating on my nerves from the start of the book. In fact, the tone of the writing got so annoying that I didn’t finish reading the book. (I really tried as I rarely quit books. I made it to Part III before deciding to stop punishing myself.)

Although I think she makes a good case for why you should drastically reduce the amount of sugar in your diet and I think this is something I need to work on, the author’s writing style was very off-putting. It was very cutesy and a little “out there”—so much so that I started to question the validity of the information. For example, she calls the steps to kicking sugar “Adventurcises.” One of the first Adventurcises is to “Pick Your Beyond Sugar Shock Woo-Hoo Feel-Good Theme Song.” This involves picking a song (or two or three) and developing a “success strut” to go with it. Then you should “boogie often” to the song at least twice a day. Right there, I started to doubt that this program and I were going to get along. It just seemed hokey and silly.

The book is stuffed with affirmations to reinforce the lessons that you learn—ranging from “I joyously write down everything I eat and drink” to “Every day I find my Sweet Serene Spot so I can feel calm, centered, and connected to the Universe.” I’m not saying this approach won’t work for some people or that her message isn’t good. I’m saying that I just couldn’t get past this “rah rah” tone to listen to what she was saying. I got very distracted by the constant cloying silliness and sweetness.

The book is filled with “real life” success stories by people who were able to kick sugar using this system, and I’m sure this might be inspirational to some. The book includes some sample meal plans and recipes. However, since I didn’t finish the book or attempt the program, I really can’t speak to its effectiveness. My advice would be to use the “Look Inside” feature on Amazon to get a feel for the tone of the book. If you don’t find it off-putting, then perhaps this book will work for you. Sadly, I just couldn’t get on board with it so I didn’t find it helpful. ( )
  Jenners26 | Nov 14, 2012 |
It isn't easy for me to admit this....however, I feel I must.

This book has been sitting on my shelf for a few months now. Why?

I couldn't face up to my own sugar addiction.

Yep. I am a sugar addict. [Why is it I feel I need to say this in some kind SA [sugar addict] support meeting?]

Hello, my name is Texicanwife, and I am a sugar addict!

I was prepared for a lot of "Blah, blah, blah.... Yackety, yack, yack".

You know what I mean. The same ol' same ol'!

Instead, I got insight. Truth. And honesty.

The reasons "why" we become addicted to the stuff [sugar], and why it's so hard to break the addiction are first and foremost addressed. Then the reasons why we should attempt to break that hold the white stuff has over us.

I was impressed with the many exercises included in the text that assist us in seeing why we are addicted; what triggers our need; and none of it is "sugar coated". Straight to the point.

I found this one of the best health related books I've read in a long while.

I give this book Five Stars and a big Thumbs Up!

****DISCLOSURE: This book was provided by Amazon Vine in exchange for a non-biased and fair review. ( )
  texicanwife | Nov 1, 2012 |
Odds are, if you have a problem with sugar and carbs in general, you probably realize it, or at least suspect it. :)
This book is designed to help and inspire those of us who DO suspect sugar is a danger for us.
First of all, Connie Bennett tells her own story of sugar addiction and how breaking free helped her.
Then she gives a quiz to determine your level of sugar addiction (if you don't already know.)
After that, she tries to shock and scare you into realizing the dangers that sugars and simple carbs can do to our bodies.
Finally, she gives a six week plan to break free from sugar and simple carbs. She is funny, sympathetic and kind, but also encouraging.
She even includes some recipes.
This is a good book to follow if you need a step by step plan to change your eating habits. Even if you don't want to follow her plan exactly, this is an excellent book for ideas and inspiration to keep going with the eating plan that works for you.
I also appreciated the list of other recommended books, and links to a lot of free healthy eating inspiration online. Her own website is a great resource as well.
Definitely recommended!
(I received this book via Amazon's Vine Program.) ( )
  BookAngel_a | Jul 8, 2012 |

Outlines a step-by-step, six-week program to kick sugar and carbohydrate addictions, leading to a healthier, happier life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,370,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible