Play Him Again by Jeffrey Stone

Play Him Again

by Jeffrey Stone

Note: I was originally asked by the writer to review this book, and received a copy for free. Before I was halfway through, I went back to Smashwords and purchased the book. This great a read deserves a payment to the author!

I am not normally a student of American History. While the great histories of Egypt and the Mesopotamian regions are well within my purview, possibly my Native American history makes the history of the US after the arrival of the white man more painful than I care to think about. However, the period of this book, the 1920's, the age of the Volstead Act and some of the bloodiest of the country, other than the Civil War, is admittedly fascinating. And Jeffrey Stone does an incredible job of making you feel like you are there, in the period, and know these people he is writing about.

The thing I totally admire about the book is Mr. Stone's grasp of the period. His research was flawless. The main characters of the book are `rumrunners,' those brave (and, of course, criminal) purveyors of `distilled spirits', which were made illegal by the Volstead Act, the 18th Amendment to the Constitution. This act of hubris, brought on by the efforts of `temperance societies' in the US, created an atmosphere of violence and greed across the country unseen at any other period. Billions of dollars in tax revenues were lost (could the Great Depression have been foreshortened by the taxes from legal liquor sales?) while gangsters turned the country into a shooting gallery, and thousands died from imbibing bootleg liquors laced with wood alcohol and other chemicals. Embalming fluid, anyone?

Stone's little band of `heroes,' led by Hud, a rum runner and all around nice guy (yes, he is a criminal, but in those days, you took your `criminal' by degrees) are devastated as the book opens by the murder of their friend Danny, a `big con roper'. As I got deeper and deeper into the book, the reality and the spirit of the period drew me in, and refused to let me go. Hud is a rumrunner, but he is also very involved in another story so integral to the period - the advent of `talkies' - motion pictures that featured sound.

In this day and age of Blu-ray, surround sound and 3D, it is hard to remember that, in the first two decades of the 20th century, movies were filmed with no sound at all, and were viewed strictly in theaters. Stone's research into the period provides fascinating background. While 1927's "The Jazz Singer", the first movie produced and distributed with actual spoken dialog, was hailed by audiences of the time, Warner Brothers Studios head, and others, considered `talkies' a passing fad, and were reluctant to invest in the technology. Stone's Hud, fascinated by the process and seeing the possibilities in the field, spends time during the book planning his own talkie production, thereby giving us deep insight into what I consider to the hysterically funny limitations of thought of the studio heads of the time. (Yes, you CAN buy a three-disk special edition of "The Jazz Singer" at Amazon. Personally, I am waiting for the 3D version - ROFL)

Overall, this is one of the best books I have ever read set in the period. I am a huge fan of Dashiell Hammett and his ilk from that period, but this is a different animal. Steeped in the actual history of the period, Stone's Hud and his friends are a more accessible group, with a minimum of the angst present in Hammett's work. With even the slightest interest in the period, the development of the movie industry, or human nature as a whole, this is definitely the book for you. I mean, who can't love an author who starts out his story in the front seat of an Essex Super Six Coupe? I do love me some antique cars! ( )
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
The prologue had me hooked! What happened to Danny and why? Taking place in the prohibition era, AKA the Roaring Twenties, this book takes on the feel of a film noire and mob crime thriller. With revenge, hijackings, cons and of course, alcohol, this book was filled with action. The ending was wonderful! Well... not so much for some people in the book. I was given the synopsis and the book by the author, and I must say, this book opened up a new genre for me.
The Author does a great job of setting the atmosphere, to the point that I was reading the book in a L.A. noire slang. Stone delves into the history of the time, using the innovation and uprising of sound/talking movies as the cascading theme. The dialogue and terms in Play Him Again were on cue and gave the book great credibility. There were some instances where ideas were over-elaborated and ran on a bit, and sometimes the congruency between the story line and Hud's film fascination weren't quite clear. But overall, I really enjoyed reading it!
The contrast between Hud and Minetti is a fine line but readers are given just enough perspective to win you on Hud’s side. I was kind of reminded of the television program Dragnet, only the criminals were catching other criminals and putting them through their own “Justice System.” The book panned out really well, and although it is the first in a series, it is also a great stand-alone book.

First Line: “The Essex Super Six Coupe rolled over the redwood planking, shattered the wooden railing at the end of the Sunset Pier, and plunged into the Pacific Ocean.”

“It was either drink or drown, so he drank.” (Loc. 53)

“Those that have the most to lose are always the most opposed to change.” (Loc. 327)

‘It’s who you leave behind that matters,’ Swede replied.” (Loc. 707)

“‘If words could lessen your suffering, I’d hold you in my arms and say them over and over until the pain was gone.’” (Loc. 742)

“He wanted to give this feeling she gave him a name, so he could recall it whenever he needed it again. He thought about it a long while and finally decided on safe. She made him feel safe.” (Loc. 869) ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |

Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |

Leiahc | May 4, 2013 |

Dnaej | Apr 6, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible