Misguided Sensitivity by Philip Nork

332,001,085 (4.67)None
Recently added byjbarr5, amyshan, dwatson2

No tags.

Misguided Sensitivity by Philip Nork
This book starts out with the author's struggles through childhood as his parents divorced.
He had others in his life as he grew up and treasures everything he learns from them. The lessons he learned are listed in the chapters.
Love that he is able to get something and give something to others in return and how he meets them again later in life.
Remember our skating days and wondered if I ever skated past my spouse as we didn't know one another til 10 years later-fond memories.
Author writes his side of the story and you get a glimpse of the other's thoughts as well. Love school writing assignment where the class all realize one major thing that effects them all. Everybody has their own plan of action to be accepted into society.
Love the definition of acquaintance and I have a ton of them, LOL
Feel like I've learned so much and it's been right in front of me the whole time. Can't wait to read other works by this author.
Received this copy from the author and this is my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | May 15, 2017 |
Inspirational!

I enjoyed this book, so much that I read through it twice before writing my review. It is tailored to young men who will learn how to be loving, caring, real men but it is a good read for anyone, male or female, especially those who need that inspiration or little pick-me-up. We all need support. In our lives there are others and the actions of others that can affect our lives and it's what do with that to determine our life's path. If you are looking for a emotional, supportive, inspirational book, this is the book to read. All readers will want to share it with their families, especially young sons and daughters. ( )
  amyshan | Sep 12, 2014 |
Life is a journey and we all learn lessons along the way. Misguided Sensitivity by Phillip Nork is a look at one boy’s search to be happy and excepted by others. The story begins in the 1960s and follows a boy named Phillip who was raised by a stay at home mother and a working father. He has two siblings and at the age of eight years old his parents divorced and he was brought up by his mother and her side of the family. Phillip was mainly raised by females, the closest people to him were his mother and Great grandmother.

He was taught at a young age to respect women and make them feel special. Also as a kid he listened in on his mother and several friends from the neighborhood talk about how bad typical men were. He decided at that point he didn’t want to be a typical man and went out of his way to be different from everyone else. What comes next is the boys lessons in life that he learned from all the women he met while growing up. It also looks at how each experience turned him into the adult he is today.

Phillip Nork states in the beginning of the book that it is based in truth with names and places changed to protect people’s identity. This is a well written memoir that young adults can learn a lot from. Personally I found it a little hard to relate to because I have never experienced the things that he has gone through and never met anyone like him. I also found the book overly sentimental and even though they weren’t graphic, I got tired of the sex scenes. I’ve read a lot of biographies that had funny moments and not so serious moments but this one was different. Misguided Sensitivity was a serious book that was trying to teach life lessons and not to entertain.

I did find Misguided Sensitivity to be an informative book. Phillip Nork was telling what he learned from the people who have gone in and out of his life so the reader can look at their own life and learn from it. I liked seeing how Phillip changed by the end of the book. I also thought it was interesting learning about how divorce affected Phillip. My favorite scene was when Marcy makes Phillip realize he is not alone. Several kids have to deal with divorce and this book shows how it changed Phillip’s life. Phillip was looking to be accepted and loved. He found that the journey to what you want is never easy. This is a good self discovery book that I think young male readers can learn a lot from. ( )
  dwatson2 | Oct 26, 2013 |

The journey we are on is a difficult one, even more so for those from a broken family. Follow one boy as he searches for the two desires we all have in common: to be accepted by others, and to be truly happy. Life continues through the good and the bad, and each and every person you meet along the way leaves pieces behind, like a jigsaw puzzle, for you to piece together as you grow and learn. And as you put those pieces together, you hopefully become a better person for it. We are indeed all connected, and everything you do really does matter and will always affect someone else in one way or another.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,468,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible