Collision Course by S.C. Stephens

Collision Course

by S.C. Stephens

Warning: This book is most definitely a tear jerker and will not be an easy one to read.

Lucas has lost his three best friends, including his girlfriend. He is lost. He is angry. He is in pain. He just wants to get through his senior year and get out of town. No one wants him there. He doesn't want to be there. Why would anyone want him there? He killed his girlfriend, his best friend and his best friend's girlfriend.

Sawyer. The new girl at school. She is spunky and evasive. She is a mystery. She befriends Lucas from the first day. She feels a connection to him. She has her own secrets and will not judge Lucas based on rumors.

Lucas and Sawyer start out with an easy friendship. They are two peas in a pod. They are the center of the gossip-vine. They are the center of the bullying. They don't care. They both just want to survive their senior year and leave it all behind them.

Then the lines get a little blurry in their relationship. Sawyer falls for Lucas. Lucas refuses to allow himself to return Sawyer's feelings, even though he knows he feels for her. Then, add in the plotting of others to get Lucas kicked out of school... or to ruin his life, whichever works....

Needless to say this story in not only unique, but it is inventive. It will rip your heart out many times from start to finish. You will find yourself lost in past parts of the book. Concentrating on just one thing in this book will be next to impossible. It is so compelling, you will find yourself constantly thinking about it. ( )
  UANBookAddict | Dec 3, 2015 |
A good read... good to the point of being a future reread. The middle was a bit like thick mud, hard to get through because it felt monotonous. In hindsight, I think that was purposefully done to emphasize the cycle that Lucas was getting himself into -- a cycle in which he needed to break out of, and which was going to be a nasty, hard cycle to break out of. If ever you wonder what the survivor of a car accident goes through when all of the other passengers die, this might be a fairly accurate account of his/her torment.

Too many times, around prom time or high school graduation time, newspapers across the country are replete with articles of a fatal car accident. Sometimes the causes are clearly determinable, sometimes the causes are simply "an accident" happened. As adults and parents, we feel for the loss these childrens' parents now feel. We feel for the loss these childrens' friends feel. We think the sole survivor, often the driver, is lucky. This fictional story can give us new shoes to try on and walk about in. The survivors, at lease this one, don't necessarily feel lucky.

If you chose to read this book, stick with it; don't give up! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Collision Course out Mr thru the gamut of emotions, but Ms Stephens definitely brought me full circle with true love!! Lucas and Sawyer have different stories they try to hide, but once they share, they realize just how much they really need each other. Luv captured my heart from the very beginning and his struggles were really believable.....another great book from SC Stephens!! ( )
  lornajarkin | Aug 22, 2014 |
I really like this book. S.C. Stephens has a way with words that can leave you breathless. While its story was predictable at some parts, it was a real glance into the pain and beauty of life. This book would be very good YA novel had the sex scenes been a little less steamy. My favorite quote is at the end, "I nodded, sighing contently, and then, for the first time since the accident that had taken my beloved friends from me...I completely woke up." The most touching part was the end of Lucas's speech at graduation, "If some of you still choose to believe the lies, and still choose to hate me...I won't hold that against you...But I won't be joining you in hating me anymore. I made a mistake, a mistake that anyone could have made...I've taken my penance, and now...I'm moving forward. Now I'll do what Darren, Sammy and Lillian would have wanted me to do...Now, I'll live." Although, I didn't think he would make a full confession to the crowd at graduation, I thought he would mention their names and a moment of silence, and I actually would have preferred it to end there. I felt his continuation was almost selfish in a way...don't make their remembrance about you and all the drama. I guess that is why I felt it would be a good YA novel. Some parts were still naive. ( )
  breakingbooks | Aug 13, 2014 |
What can I say other than I am typing through my tears. I was warned to have a box of tissues ready when I read Collision Course and boy did I need them.

I loved this book for so many reasons. It took me so deep into my emotional psyche that i kept having to put the book down because I couldn't see the page for the tears. Each chapter was full of such raw emotion that it tugged at my heartstrings time after time, stopping my breath and making me gasp. It was so eloquently written that it just overwhelmed any thought that this was a fictional story, making me feel a part of each scene.

I absolutely loved the characters and the ending was so poignant and so beautiful. It is a sad book but also a book of hope, love and forgiveness. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

I love S.C. Stephens writing style.This is the third book of hers that I have read and am looking forward to more.
  Artfullee | Apr 8, 2014 |

Lucas had it all -- popularity, a devoted girlfriend, a brotherly best friend, and a loving mother who would do anything for him. His life was right on course to be successful and fulfilling...until the crash changed everything. Late at night, during a sudden downpour, three young lives are lost and Lucas, the lone survivor, is left to face the consequences. Surrounded by swirling gossip as to what really happened that fateful evening, Lucas now finds himself an outcast. Shunned by former friends, condemned by the people of his small town, and riddled by his own guilt and self-hatred, he struggles to find hope, find peace, and maybe, even find love.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,898,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible