Temptation & Twilight by Charlotte…

Temptation & Twilight

by Charlotte Featherstone

This is the third and last story in the Brethren Guardians series, but my first book read by this author. Reading it, I realized that I should have read them all in order because I would have gotten to know the leads and their backstory better. That said, I enjoyed regardless of reading it out of order.

Here is why I think you should read this story. The author did a fantastic job with characterization of the hero and heroine and while the story might have used a faster pace, I enjoyed the relationship growth between the two.

This story has a lot in it, besides the inevitable romance. It's filled with angst and passion, while many twists and turns expose a truly despicable villain.

Highly recommended.

Melanie for b2b

Gift copy provided by the publisher for an honest review ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Jun 16, 2017 |
Temptation & Twilight
4.5 Stars

Synopsis
After a brush with death, previously unrepentant rake, Iain Sinclair regrets relinquishing his love for Elizabeth York and is determined to overcome her defenses to win her heart again. Following Iain's rejection, Lizzie is finally putting her life back together but cannot forget the passion he evoked in her. Can she look past her hatred to accept Iain's love?

Review
A good conclusion to the series.

The events take place in parallel to those from the previous installment so it is crucial to read in order. This bothered me at first as the the story works up toward the cliffhanger from book #2 and it was frustrating not having the resolution quickly. Nevertheless, it ultimately works well as the truths of Lizzie and Iain's past are slowly revealed alongside the passion of their present relationship.

Iain is an amazing hero - his regret over the past and the intensity of his feelings for Lizzie simply leap from the pages. His journey from an immature and debauched jerk to an honorable hero worthy of Lizzie's love is fascinating.

Lizzie is not only physically blind but emotionally unable to see the depths of Iain's love for her, which is believable but also frustrating. Nevertheless, she is a strong and determined woman who never allows her infirmity to hold her back.

The conclusion to the Brethren Guardian plot is satisfying (although the villain's demise is somewhat anti-climactic), and my guesses as to Orpheus's identity proved correct as did my take on Sheldon's character, which always puts me in a good mood.

The diary subplot is compelling and has much potential but is not effectively integrated into Lizzie and Iain's relationship. Except for one very steamy scene, it contributes little to their romance.

It would also have been nice to have an epilogue providing closure to all the characters and relationships, and I have to wonder if there might not be another book waiting in the wings.
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This book was really hard for me to review. I really enjoyed the book about half of the time and the other half I just wasn't feeling it. There were some really good parts to it and if you're reading the series, you will want to read this one too.
Elizabeth's character was one that I really liked. She was probably my favorite part of the book. She is blind but tries to be as independent as possible. She was intelligent, kind, and very likable.
While I love a good bad-boy in a romance novel, Iain left me feeling a little disgusted. I really didn't like his character most of the time. He is constantly after Lizzy, but I didn't feel like he really deserved her.
Definitely, hard to rate because it was well written, and I loved Charlotte Featherstone's writing style, but I just wasn't rooting for the so-called hero of the story.

***ARC provided by Publisher through NetGalley*** ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
Elizabeth York is a spinster, and blind, and inherited her blindness from her mother who was also blind. With the danger against the Brethren Guardians, her brother wants her to focus on other matters, thinking that she is in grave danger. Most of her life, Elizabeth has had the Guardian business to keep her busy. Now with her blindness, she feels useless. With Iain Sinclair back in her life, she is doing all she can to resist his tender voice and tempting kisses. Suddenly a Lord Sheldon, who shares her interests in the Templar's, is courting her, and for the first time she feels like she can overcome the pain and grief of her past and Iain Sinclair, and find true happiness. Iain Sinclair, one of the Brethren Guardians, is more reckless and hotheaded, and a Scot. He has made many mistakes in his life, but his most disastrous was hurting the one woman with whom he gave his heart too. Iain has finally realized that after all of these years, he still aches and dreams of Beth and the passion they once shared. He knows that he doesn't have a chance in hell to get her back, but being full of pride and arrogance, he tries anyway to show her of his true feelings and that she is the only way that can find anything redeemable in him.

Temptation and Twilight is the third in the Brethren Guardian series. I really enjoyed the second book through Audible, so I decided to get this title on Audible as well. The second book Pride and Passion ended with a bit of a cliffhanger, so I couldn't wait very long to listen to this story. It begins with seeing Iain getting fully involved in Elizabeth's life, when she begins to be courted by a Lord Sheldon. Iain is full of rage at the mention of his name, but seeing them together, infuriates him so that he attacks Lord Sheldon at a ball and puts Elizabeth into shock and dismay. Elizabeth doesn't trust Iain and that is very obvious through the whole story. Elizabeth has been hurt and betrayed by Iain, since they once had a affair ten years previous, and Elizabeth is still hurt and bitter over it. There is also the side plot of intrigue that develops and starts to unravel as the tension between Iain and Elizabeth gets only more fierce.

I had a few issues with Temptation and Twilight, one being Elizabeth.For the most part I liked her as the heroine, and I loved the "blindness" aspect, and I admired her for accepting it as she does. I could understand why she was so bitter and angry with Iain, but it tended to get very frustrating to see how she kept fighting Iain, and vocally, she could get very brutal. As I read this, or listened to it, I got to the point where I wanted to scream or yell at Beth at times. Not always, there were parts of the story especially in the beginning, that I understood why she was so cold and unfeeling toward him. However she didn't really soften until the very end and I found myself being on Iain's side. Iain is more of a darker character, compared to the other Brethren, but you see a side of him that is irresistible. Iain has made many mistakes, and has sacrificed much for the Brethren Guardians. I couldn't help but love him immensely. Iain, a Scot, gorgeous, temptation itself, and he humbles himself quite a bit for Elizabeth. You see the changes in him, determined to win Elizabeth's forgiveness and her love. I couldn't help but admire his tenacity to stick with it, and I felt like Iain is the most misunderstood of all the guardians, and he just might be my favorite. Because he is far from perfect, has many challenges and faults, but he seemed more human to me, and that is my favorite aspect in characters, is when they have faults and more human.

Overall I fell in love with the last installment in this series, and Temptation and Twilight was a good final story that wrapped the series up nicely. I really enjoyed the tension and the intrigue aspect of the story, and the secrets that are revealed that I have been waiting quite a long time to find out. The romance between Iain and Elizabeth was powerful and stimulating. A erotic filled passion that jumps from the pages, and the story entices and pulls you in so that you can't put it down. A sensual tale that will consume you!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Jan 1, 2015 |
The Marquis of Alynwick, Iain Sinclair is a born charmer and complete rake, not above using his charms to ferret out secrets from the wives of the ton. In his heart, however, he's only ever found fantasies of one woman. Elizabeth, the daughter of a duke, is completely on the shelf. After all, she's blind, approaching 30, and on the plump side. But she's still intent on making her way back into society, and she's even found a beau. Too bad the Marquis of Alynwick seems determined to wreck her chances at happiness.

This is the second in a set or possibly a trilogy, and a convoluted subplot involving the Knights Templar does nothing to enhance the story. Just okay. ( )
  SunnySD | Oct 19, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373776624, Mass Market Paperback)

Iain Sinclair, Marquis of Alynwick, is certain there is a special hell for him. An unrepentant rake, he holds nothing sacred—except for beautiful Elizabeth York. For years, Alynwick has tried to forget the woman he loved so well, and treated so badly. A woman who could hold nothing in her heart for him but hatred.

All of society believes Elizabeth, the blind daughter of a duke, to be a proper young lady. But no one knows of her wanton affair with Alynwick. When Lizzy learns of her ancestor's ancient diary—filled with exotic tales—she longs to uncover the identity of the unnamed lover within and hesitantly agrees to allow Alynwick, who claims to have knowledge of the "veiled lady," to help her solve the mystery.

Eager to be Lizzy's eyes, Alynwick brings the seductive text to life, and each night it takes greater effort for her to remember his betrayal. With each whispered word, her resolve gives way, without her knowing that a centuries-old secret will lead them to a present-day danger.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

Every night the whole nation watches the ultimate live game TV show, as the contestants try to beat annihilation at the hands of the hunters in order to win the billion dollar jackpot. And now there's a new contestant, the latest Running Man, staking his life while a nation watches.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,627,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible