The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead

With only two books left to go in the series, I knew to expect to have that devastating moment where I find myself saying "Nooooooo", and will be left with that hard to get over book hangover. I was dreading it and anxious for it at the same time. I know, I must sound like a masochist, but it's the good kind, believe me. A book hangover masochist. What better kind of hangover is there? But I also knew that of course it was going to be great and of course it was. In fact it was amazing, I loved that Richelle Mead decided to give us two perspectives this time around. I love, love hearing from Adrian, he is one of my favorite male leads in a series. I've been rooting for his ultimate HEA since the beginning of the series.

Sydney is continuing her journey into the magical world and her and Adrian's relationship is heating up. Adrian is still dealing with the lows and highs of Spirit and wanting to do right by Sydney. Of course having her sister Zoe there doesn't help their secret romance and their already sneaky rendezvous from the others.

Towards the end of the book I started to get that anxious here it comes feeling. I knew this chapter of Adrian's and Sydney's relationship wasn't going to end well. So now I'm feeling devastated and can't wait to see what happens next.

Things for this series has gotten even more interesting and intense. With a nice little cameo from some of the Vampire Academy gang and Adrian finally getting some respect from them as someone they look to for guidance. The Fiery Heart was the best book of the series so far. The story, writing and familiar characters I can't get enough of has me I ruing the day of it's conclusion.

GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |
First, I have to get out there that I am so FRUSTRATED that I have to wait for the next book!

Now that that's out of the way, I LOVED The Fiery Heart! I love Adrian, I love him and Sydney together. I even love the secrecy of the whole thing as it makes it almost more magical of a relationship. The drama of the story made me SO angry at parts! I can't stand Sydney's dad and I was hoping that Zoe would be more like Sydney by the end of the book. I am excited for the progress that's been made in other areas though. With the Strigoi prevention and with the new tattoos. I can't wait for Silver Shadows! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Well that's a fucking cliffhanger. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
Well that's a fucking cliffhanger. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

I'm a bit conflicted about this book. Sydney and Adrian's relationship gets as physical as it can get (although Mead thankfully holds back on the details, since this is YA), but there are a lot of sweet moments too. In some ways, I also like that the romance seems to be the focus with less emphasis on witchcraft, and still some emphasis on scientific discoveries. I normally prefer romance to be understated, and that's still true in paranormal romance/urban fantasy, but because I'm not a big paranormal/urban fantasy fan overall, what I most like about these stories is that, if well-developed, they usually set the scene for a fairly epic romance--whether or not it's understated.

So in those ways I enjoyed it, but also, I'm experiencing a bit of series fatigue, just like I did with the VA books after the third one. As much as I love these books and these characters, I don't know if I have the stamina to read more and more conflicts until the end--although thankfully there are only two books after this.

I'm also not sure how I feel about having both Sydney and Adrian narrate the story. I love Adrian, but I'm also the kind of reader that usually haves multiple first-person POV, and I don't like it when series switch in the middle. In the beginning, I thought I liked Adrian more when I read him from Sydney's perspective, but by the end, Mead used the two POVs to good effect to heighten the tension. What I do like is that we get to know Adrian a lot better, as he works through some real struggles.

I'm also really happy about Eddie, because he's one of my favorites. The character I'm still least won over by is Angeline.

And I said in my review for [b:The Indigo Spell|8709526|The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)|Richelle Mead|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342146669s/8709526.jpg|13582373] that the covers were getting worse, but I didn't actually mean that one; I meant this one. Eek!

Overall, a little less enjoyable than the other books for me, but it still breezed by. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |

In The Indigo Spell, Sydney was torn between the Alchemist way of life and what her heart and gut were telling her to do. And in one breathtaking moment that Richelle Mead fans will never forget, she made a decision that shocked even her. . . .

But the struggle isn't over for Sydney. As she navigates the aftermath of her life-changing decision, she still finds herself pulled in too many directions at once. Her sister Zoe has arrived, and while Sydney longs to grow closer to her, there's still so much she must keep secret. Working with Marcus has changed the way she views the Alchemists, and Sydney must tread a careful path as she harnesses her profound magical ability to undermine the way of life she was raised to defend. Consumed by passion and vengeance, Sydney struggles to keep her secret life under wraps as the threat of exposure—and re-education—looms larger than ever.

Pulses will race throughout this thrilling fourth installment in the New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series, where no secret is safe.

After making a life-changing decision, Sydney Sage, an Alchemist who serves to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires, must tread a careful path as she harnesses her profound magical ability to undermine the way of life she was raised to defend.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,069,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible