Stories for Boys: A Memoir by Gregory Martin

Stories for Boys: A Memoir

by Gregory Martin

I'd say this memoir way more about father-son relationships than it is about gay issues (the latter seems to be the main pitch in marketing), and I think that reading about family dynamics would interest many readers.

Lots of author-provided family photos and email excerpts are included, which adds a visual aspect to the memoir. The writing style is very introspective. The book starts off strong, maybe because there's a combination of character and story development--but towards the end both peter out and so did my interest. ( )
  Alyssa.Jocson | Aug 21, 2013 |

In this memoir of fathers and sons, Gregory Martin struggles to reconcile the father he thought he knew with a man who has just survived a suicide attempt; a man who had been having anonymous affairs with men throughout his thirty-nine years of marriage; and who now must begin his life as a gay man. At a tipping point in our national conversation about gender and sexuality, rights and acceptance, Stories for Boys is about a father and a son finding a way to build a new relationship with one another after years of suppression and denial are given air and light.

Martin’s memoir is quirky and compelling with its amateur photos and grab-bag social science and literary analyses. Gregory Martin explores the impact his father’s lifelong secrets have upon his life now as a husband and father of two young boys with humor and bracing candor. Stories for Boys is resonant with conflicting emotions and the complexities of family sympathy, and asks the questions: How well do we know the people that we think we know the best? And how much do we have to know in order to keep loving them?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible