Trademark Protection and Prosecution: How-to…

Trademark Protection and Prosecution: How-to and Do-It-Yourself

by Ann Carrington

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A reasonable introduction to trademark law for the non-lawyer. Ordinarily I recommend Nolo for this sort of thing, but if you want to focus just on trademark, this is a reasonable substitute. I wasn't thrilled with the discussion of defenses. Yes, the focus is on "trademark protection" -- but you can't protect your trademark if you can't adequately understand trademark defenses, such as trademark fair use. Otherwise, you end up with an overblown idea of what a trademark really gets you, and you get can into dangerous territory overclaiming or overdefending -- and thus overspending!

Hopefully this will be used to give an intro to someone who wants to know about TM, but isn't prepared to use it as a DIY guidebook for a serious trademark issue.

I received a copy of this book from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. ( )
  lquilter | Dec 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a lawyer, but I don't have experience in trademark law. I thought this book was informative and easy to understand, as an attorney, even though I don't practice in trademark protection or prosecution. I

In addition, I think this book will be very helpful for those who are starting a small business or have some other issues with trademark law. It's always best to consult a lawyer, but it's also best (and will probably cut down on fees) if you go in to speak with a lawyer with your own general understanding of how things work and what you need. ( )
  Eregriel | Oct 12, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There is much to be said for Carrington's in-depth coverage of information about trademarks in this book. Not only does she cover how to apply for a trademark, but also how to make sure that one is not lost due to misuse or lack of use. There is much material that can be used by a lay person who is interested in learning about what a trademark is and how to file for one. However, obtaining a trademark is of such great importance that legal assistance should most definitely be sought. One huge advantage of this book is that it contains samples of the forms a company would need to file to acquire a trademark. However, one detraction for me as a layperson reading the book was that it often seemed repetitive, covering some topics more than once. ( )
  gcamp | Sep 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ann Carrington's TRADEMARK PROTECTION AND PROSECUTION is an excellent introduction and overview of trademark law and practice. This work is part of a "How-To" and "Do-It-Yourself" series of books. As a rule of thumb I use Nolo Press as my gold standard for the best legal books for the non professional (and must admit that Nolo does have some clunkers, but overall they're my "go to" press for works like this). So, this book has excellent organization, excellent coverage, and an excellent index. Throw in a plethora of sample forms, agreements, and checklists and you get something that should be on the shelves of lots of small businesses. ( )
  fugitive | Aug 14, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Excellent reference book. Points are clearly explained in a language a non-attorney can understand.

This book can also be a useful tool for people looking to consult an attorney about Trademark protection and not wanting to go "cold" into the appointment.

I'm very glad to have it as part of my library and would recommend it to anyone considering trademark protection. ( )
  GrrlLovesBooks | Aug 4, 2012 |

A comprehensive book on trademarks, including sample filings. Because trademark rights in the U.S. are based on use, when a trademark is not used or is used incorrectly, even for a relatively short period of time without justification, the mark may be deemed abandoned. Once abandoned, others may adopt and use the mark.

Trademarks benefit both trademark owners and consumers by indicating the source of a product or service and distinguishing the product or services from those of competitors. Trademarks help owners establish goodwill in their company and in their product and services. Consumers are protected because trademarks help them identify the quality of a good or service associated with a trademark.

The trademarks of your company are valuable assets of your business and should be treated with care. If your trademarks are misused, your business could lose the exclusive rights to use these marks. Due to misuse, some once-famous marks are now common, everyday terms used to identify products generically, rather than the sources of those products, and the owners of those marks have been essentially striped of their trademark rights, e.g., aspirin, harmonica, linoleum, escalator and zipper.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Carrington's book Trademark Protection and Prosecution was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,636,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible