The Ash-Born Boy by Victoria Schwab

Plot: 5 stars
Characters: 5 stars
Style: 5 stars
Pace: 5 stars

I'd give this max stars no matter the rating system used. I love this world, I love her style, and I love how even in this short story, she manages to create such a vivid world. Definitely an author who I'll be eagerly waiting for further releases from. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review appears on my blog, Starting the Next Chapter.

At long last the answers to some of the most pressing questions about Cole have been answered! In The Ash-Born Boy, the tragic truth to Cole's past is revealed, along with his true name. In this 61 page whirlwind, Victoria Schwab has provided a glimpse into the ruthless, cruel world of court life, as well as its impact upon Cole. Just how did Cole discover the true extent of his powers? You'll find out the answer to that question and more right here.

When I first read The Near Witch last year, I was so very intrigued by Cole. The air of mystery surrounding him was just as thick at the end of the book as it was when he was first introduced. I despaired of ever finding out more about him until the day that Victoria posted about this story. This deeper glimpse into Cole's past and his personality were very insightful and breathed even more life into him as a character. Now that I've read The Ash-Born Boy, I really want to read The Near Witch all over again just so I can see what nuances I pick up.

The setting for The Ash-Born Boy is the town of Dale, where we find the boy now known as Cole in a somewhat unexpected position. The plot that is at work in this story is tragic, ominous, and anger-inducing as the atrocities that Cole faces comes to the forefront. The characters surrounding him manage to evoke a wide arrange of emotions in amazingly high amounts considering the brevity of the story.

Schwab does her work very well, and it shows in this story. If she can draw me in this firmly with only 61 pages, imagine what she could do with an entire book about Cole. At the very least, The Ash-Born Boy served as a reminder of everything I loved about The Near Witch. It is well worth the time it takes to read it and you'll definitely want to pair it with a reading of The Near Witch as soon as you possibly can. ( )
  MarlaSTNC | May 17, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,361,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible