Edge of Black by J.T. Ellison

Edge of Black (edition 2012)

by J.T. Ellison

Member:caitemaire
Title:Edge of Black
Authors:J.T. Ellison
Info:Harlequin MIRA (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:review copy, fiction, random

Edge of Black by J. T. Ellison

*I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

It's been a while since I read a thriller as satisfying as Edge of Black. This is the second in a series and now I really want to read the first, especially cause it's the story of how the main characters met.

The main characters are Dr. Samantha Owens, a forensic pathologist, and Xander Whitfield, a former army ranger. At first sight they have nothing in common but the fact is both have tragic pasts of lost and sorrow that unites them in an unexpected way.

After what appears to be a terrorist attack in the Washington Metro, Sam is called to help assist on the autopsies of the three victims. And that's the first thing that has Sam intrigued. Why only three dead? Sam begins investigating the victims and finds an unsuspected link between them...

In the meantime, Xander realizes that maybe the killer moves in circles he's not a stranger to, and leaves off on his trail. But will they be able to get to the killer before he strikes again?

I really liked this thriller, I found it's rythm perfect, not too fast, not too slow. The story is believable and exciting and there are no loose threads nor details unexplained. I also liked the main characters and their interaction. J.T. Ellison is definetely an author I want to read more from. ( )
  landslide | Jan 14, 2014 |
Dr Samantha Owens has left her old life -- her job at Forensic Medical, her best friend Taylor Jackson, the home she shared with her late husband and their twins -- behind. She's sols her Nashville home, has a new job teaching and somewhere very new, and different to call home every night

Sam's ready to try to move on from the crushing grief -- and guilt -- she feels after losing her husband and young children in the Nashville flood. Also a part of her new life in Washington DC: Xander Whitfield, whom she met in A Deeper Darkness and who was a catalyst for her move.

Sam's just getting into her new life when an unknown pathogen is released in the Washington Metro. Soon three people are dead and Sam is called in to consult.

With the FBI and Homeland Security a part of the case, it's Sam, Xander and Fletcher who are soon uncovering parts of the case that make it a very interesting one indeed. And definitely not what they expected.

After reading the Taylor Jackson series and already knowing Sam, I was really hurting for her in A Deeper Darkness and all of the pain she was in, still feeling so much guilt and sorrow over losing not only her husband but also both of her children. So soon after losing another child, as well.

Though I was a bit sorry knowing she wouldn't be back in Nashville for this second installment in the series, after reading it, I couldn't support the decision more fully.

The things I loved in the first book about Sam having her own series: getting to see her sine, seeing those attributes of hers (her whit, her intelligence, her love and loyalty) as the main focus were even stronger in this book. Now that we've been properly introduced to Sam with the first book, we really get to see her work and be a great character.

Both Xander and Fletch are back in pretty big supporting roles, the two other main characters next to Sam, in Edge of Black. I loved them both in A Deeper Darkness and I love them here. Nocek is back as well and just as quirky as before, I'm glad he's still a part of the story.

It's only two books in but I think I like this series even better than the Taylor Jackson series. The characters here each have their own great background which we didn't get as much of with the previous series and I do love my 'character' books. We also get a good bit of Xander's life in this series and it's fun to see where he comes from and know who he is. Then to see how he works with and connects with Sam. On the surface they seem like they'd be contradictory characters, but they have something that really does work.

That's all on top of the great plots that Ellison has created. They're not your run of the mill mystery or thriller plots and even the ones that seem to start more simple or predictable definitely don't play out that way. That the characters backgrounds as well as the setting are used is even better.

I'm looking forward to more from this series and this author. ( )
  BookSpot | Jul 29, 2013 |
Book Blog For: GMTA
Series: Dr. Samantha Owens #2
Rating: 5
Review:

"Edge of Black" by J.T. Ellison was a excellent contemporary story of mystery,suspense, thrills, and romance. The author is truly a master at being able to present it all ....'fear, love and hate' all in one outstanding fast paced read. We find from this series that Samantha (Sam) and Xander will be trying to find out who released this pathogen into the Washington Metro area that killed three people. Sam and Xander are dating and working together trying to find out who is'behind the release of the pathogen and why.' Be ready for a lots of action along with twist that will keep you turning the pages. The characters were all well portrayed and so colorful in this well developed series.

I found "Edge of Black" was well written story that I would recommend as a excellent read. ( )
  arlenadean | May 1, 2013 |
I had read one other J.T. Ellison book prior to reading Edge of Black and I assumed it would be on the same level as So Close To the Hand of Death; unfortunately I was mistaken. Edge of Black is the second book in the Dr. Samantha Owens series and while I did not read the first book, A Deeper Darkness, I do not think it would have helped me enjoy Edge of Black more than I did. Edge of Black is at times suspenseful, but more often than not I found it did not keep my attention as I had hoped. Being a fan of suspense/thrillers, I had hoped for more page turning thrill than I discovered once I began reading. Unfortunately, I do not envision myself reading another book in this series. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Jan 19, 2013 |
I became an instant fan of J.T. Ellison's writing when I read [book:All The Pretty Girls|1861196], the first in her Taylor Jackson series. Edge of Black stars Samantha Owens, the forensic pathologist from the Taylor Jackson series. While this is a spinoff from that first series, Edge of Black can easily be read as a stand-alone.

One of the things I love about Ellison's writing is she always gives readers a strong female lead. You'll find no damsel in distress here. Samantha Owens is smart and not afraid to get her hands dirty.

While I enjoyed the story, it wasn't one of my favorites by Ellison. I found it very much action based, but a little short on character development. The 'bad guy' felt too one-dimensional and stereotypical, and that made the plot a little too predictable. That being said, there is a lot to love about this book, and about Ellison's writing. ( )
  Darcia | Jan 10, 2013 |

Dr. Samantha Owens is starting over: new city, new job, new man, new life. She's trying to put some distance between herself and the devastating loss of her husband and children—but old hurts leave scars.

Before she's even unpacked her office at Georgetown University's forensic pathology department, she's called to consult on a case that's rocked the capital and the country. An unknown pathogen released into the Washington Metro has caused nationwide panic. Three people died—just three.

A miracle and a puzzle…

Amid the media frenzy and Homeland Security alarm bells, Sam painstakingly dissects the lives of those three victims and makes an unsettling conclusion. This is no textbook terrorist causing mayhem with broad strokes, but an artist wielding a much finer, more pointed instrument of destruction. An assassin, whose motive is deeply personal and far from understandable.

Xander Whitfield, a former army ranger and Sam's new boyfriend, knows about seeing the world in shades of gray. About feeling compelled to do the wrong thing for the right reasons. Only his disturbing kinship with a killer can lead Sam to the truth…and once more into the line of fire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:40 -0400)

Dr. Samantha Owens is starting over: new city, new man, new life. She's trying to put some distance between herself and the devastating loss of her husband and children -- but the old hurts leave scars. Before she has a chance to settle into her new position in Georgetown University's forensic pathology department, she's called to consult on three murders caused by an unknown pathogen in Metro Washington.… (more)

27 wanted2 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,242,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible