The Cold Room (Taylor Jackson Novels) by J.…

The Cold Room (Taylor Jackson Novels) (2010)

by J. T. Ellison

reviewed on Book Sp(l)ot Reviews here (in a post reviewing Books 1-4 in the series)
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great mystery! I would however recommend reading the other books in the series first. I received this one as an Early Reviewer book, and so I did not have the other books in the series. Being unfamiliar with the rest of the author's works left me feeling a little list at times. Overall, a good read. ( )
  re_re_98 | May 23, 2013 |
It should have been a page turner novel (the hunting of a necrophiliac serial killer), but instead was a book-closer one. It was a run of the mill procedural, that takes after Key Scarpetta's books, "The Silence of the Lambs" and "Hannibal" for the Florence part. The killer is a pale shadow of "The Travelling Man" in Every Dead Thing and lets out the difficulties met by Ellison during the writing ("Necrophilia is a taboo subject ... It disturbed me to no end, gave me nightmares and writer’s block, and I often thought of abandoning the topic")
The explanation of the murder's habits was too mechanical (the trite dilemma between nature and nurture) and the resolution of the case is based on many coincidences to be unrealistic.
I thought often to quit the reading, but I felt obligated to finish "The Cold Room" (even if I was cringing my teeth for the broken Italian in the last chapters), because it was part of my Challenge "Travel in U.S.A". ( )
  Luisali | May 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I made the mistake of reading "The Cold Room" before reading any of Mr. Ellison's other works, which made this one a bit difficult to follow. Still, I do not think that should detract from the overall value of the book. I read it in one sitting and enjoyed it tremendously. Refreshing not to see another rerun of CSI:NY in paperback form. ( )
  PhilipTroy | Mar 29, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a mostly solid mystery. Ellison gives us an unusual crime, committed by an unusual criminal in an unusual way. And, I’m always excited to read a police procedural that isn’t set in New York or southern California. But there were a few pieces that bothered me.

One was Memphis. I didn’t quite get his obsession with Taylor, and would have liked a bit more a clue. Also, I didn’t think the reason he was sent to the U.S. was very good — he spent more time tagging along with Taylor and Baldwin than worrying about his own case. I suspect we’ll be seeing much more of him in the next book. The other piece that didn’t make a lot of sense to me was the tiny subplot with Taylor’s new boss. It ended up being worthless filler, as he appears at the beginning, disappears by the end, and doesn’t have any sort of significant affect on the novel’s events.

I found the book a bit dense, and realized way too late that I should have started this series from the beginning. There were too many references to past events without sufficient information to back them up for me to recommend this to anyone who hasn’t already read the first three books in the series. But, the story did keep me reading, and I would be interested in starting the series from the beginning to see what else Ellison has to offer. ( )
  miyurose | Jul 15, 2011 |
Understanding does not cure evil., but it is a definate help, inasmuch as one can cope with a comprehensible darkness.-Carl Jung
For Scott and Linda. You took a chance, and I'll be forever grateful.
Gavin Adler jumped when a small chime sounded on his computer.

Loved this series, really scary and char. are good too. Fav.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778327140, Mass Market Paperback)

He can truly love her only once her heart stops.

Homicide detective Taylor Jackson thinks she's seen it all in Nashville—from the Southern Strangler to the Snow White Killer. But she's never seen anything as perverse as The Conductor. Once his victim is captured, he contains her in a glass coffin, slowly starving her to death. Only then does he give in to his attraction.

When he's finished, he creatively disposes of the body by reenacting scenes from famous paintings. And similar macabre works are being found in Europe. Taylor teams up with her fiancé, FBI profiler Dr. John Baldwin, and New Scotland Yard detective James "Memphis" Highsmythe, a haunted man who has eyes only for Taylor, to put an end to this horror.

Has the killer gone international with his craft? Or are there two "artists," competing to create the ultimate masterpiece?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:58 -0400)

Homicide detective Taylor Jackson thinks she's seen it all in Nashville-- but she's never seen anything as perverse as The Conductor. Once his victim is captured, he contains her in a glass coffin, slowly starving her to death. Only then does he give in to his attraction. Later, he creatively disposes of the body by reenacting scenes from famous paintings.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

J. T. Ellison's book The Cold Room was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible