Black Fridays by Michael Sears

Black Fridays (edition 2012)

by Michael Sears

Member:johntgriffin
Title:Black Fridays
Authors:Michael Sears
Info:Putnam Adult (2012), Hardcover, 341 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:signed

Black Fridays by Michael Sears

Perfect blend of the main character's personal life and the mystery, thriller premise of the book. Entertaining, with just the right amount of verbage devoted to Wall Street and financial crime. ( )
  Rozey | Apr 5, 2014 |
Jason Stafford went to Prison for his crimes and paid his dues. Now he is out and wanting to get his life back on track. He wants to reconnect with his ex wife and son. Which was the plan from the get go. Jason had her all set up with money to care for herself and her son and enough for them to get started when he was in the clear. However things do not always go as planned.

Jason tries to contact his ex wife and she wants nothing to do with him anymore. She has remarried and pawned their autistic son off on her elderly mother. Who has come to know little Jason's (Kid) routine however he doesn't get out much and is kept in a dark room. Jason goes to Louisiana to pick up his son and try to reconnect with him and has no idea how but gets some help and starts actually learning from the Kid things he never realized in his life.

He learns that someone wants him to work for them even after his stint and actions in the trading business the reason he went to prison and gets himself into more than he bargained for. Murder's, kidnappings and excitement all rolled into one.

For me it started out a little slow in the first couple of chapters however as the book moves along I became more engrossed. Good read. ( )
  MonicaLynn | Oct 4, 2013 |
An enjoyable thriller about a disgraced Wall Street trader who takes on a job probing the irregularities of a junior trader who died suddenly. At the same time, he's trying to reconnect with his autistic son. The tension rises as he uncovers more problems on Wall Street and runs afoul of his ex-wife's violent boyfriend. Sears is a good writer who does a good job of showing what it's like to be a trader while also developing a tender yet realistic relationship between a man who has just gotten out of prison and his son.
  bfister | Jun 15, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jason Stafford has gotten out of prison after being convicted of embezzling money. His only job experience is working on Wall Street but he has restriction on what he can do in the financial district now that he is out of prison. He eventually gets hired to investigate an employee's actions. Meanwhile, he is trying to get his son, with special needs, back into his custody but his ex-wife is being difficult. While Jason is dealing with his personal life, his life is in jeopardy over this investigation.

When I first started this book, I was worried about the complexity of the financial piece of the story. The author did a great job describing things in a way that everyone can understand. There were some aspects that I'm not sure I fully understood, but it didn't detract from the story. I feel that anyone, even someone with no financial background, can enjoy this book.

I loved that there were a couple of story lines within this one book. It allowed the reader to see multiple side of the main character. It made me feel more connected to the different characters.

Overall, I found this book entertaining throughout and I learned information about the financial district that I had not known prior to reading this book. I hope that Michael Sears continues to write. I will definitely look out for more of his book in the future. ( )
  damejennylynn | Feb 25, 2013 |

Struggling to rebuild his life after a two-year prison term for unscrupulous choices, former Wall Street hotshot Jason Stafford is tapped by an investment firm to investigate the suspicious death of a junior trader.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Black Fridays by Michael Sears was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,113,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible