The Messenger's Handbook by Pamela DuMond

The Messenger's Handbook

by Pamela DuMond

111820,536 (1)None

You can read this review on my blog http://onlectus.blogspot.com/2012/07/messengers-handbook-by-pamela-dumond.html How to start reviewing a book you don’t like? There, I said it from the beginning so you don’t have to read through the end to find that out.The prologue starts promising, with Madeline (or Abigail) running in the forest trying to reach a spot that would take her time traveling. I just got excited with this opening … to become quickly bored with the rest of the book.Thanks to a “lucky” accident, Madeline travels 300 years back in time. “Outlander” by Diana Gabaldon, anyone? Unlike Gabaldon’s story, Madeline is no outlander as she lands in the Rhode Island, US, of 1675, the sole survivor of a massacre and a war going between the Wampanoag Natives and subjects of King Charles II. Oddly enough, once she’s kind of figured she has time traveled, you’d think she’d be discreet about it, but no, she tells everything to a woman that, also oddly enough, believes her flat out. Really, no questions of where are you coming from…?Oh, yes! There is a romance going on between a 300 years –younger?- boy and Madeline (now Abigail). So probably you will enjoy how they fell in love 300 years ago. Obviously, I fast forwarded the get it over with. Oh! Yes, the book also has other little mysteries such as the disappearance of Madeline’s mother during a car accident (however, it doesn’t take a genius to put 2 and 2 together). So, sadly, because I bought the book, I stopped reading at 34% (in my Kindle). No, I do not wish to know how it ends. Period. ( )
  lectus | Jul 14, 2012 |
ForeverYoungAdult.com Review: "The Messenger's Handbook... offers the can't-lose combo of time travel and romance... it was a runaway train of a book -- definitely in a good way... by the end, I was getting a bicep workout from all the fistpumps... I'm dying to hear the rest of the story it started telling me right at the end of the night."

A low-pitched droning penetrated my ears and rattled my bones.

The Messenger (Mortal Beloved, Book One) (Formerly called The Messenger's Handbook)

Sixteen-year-old Madeline’s cheated death once. She was but a baby in a booster seat in her mama’s car when they were rammed off a tall, Chicago parking garage. She lived. Her mama disappeared. But when Madeline’s shoved in front of a speeding commuter train she believes death has claimed her.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Madeline wakes in the warm, dead body of a girl who was slain moments earlier in a brutal raid on a colonial outpost. She quickly learns she has time traveled hundreds of years into the past to claim her birth right as a Messenger – a soul, who if properly trained, can slip through time’s fabric at will, delivering messages that could change one life or many.

But falling into a forbidden love with her soulmate, Samuel, a Native boy, attracts the wrong kind of attention. Rumors of witchcraft and spying could get them killed. Worse - deadly Hunters, dark-souled predators as well as skilled time travelers, crave Madeline's powers. Can Madeline find the way back to the future in time to save herself and Samuel?

Pamela DuMond is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,329,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible