Yesterday's Gone: Season One by Sean Platt

Yesterday's Gone: Season One (2011)

by Sean Platt, David W. Wright

This book was so freaking good! I thought that I would have trouble bouncing between different characters on each chapter but they are all so unique and memorable I had no issues at all. I cannot wait for the next part of the series! This is a great twist on the end of days theme with aliens? Maybe? Bad guys, good guys, spiritual guides that come in the form of a dog. People who can see auras...I loved it! ( )
  Verkruissen | Aug 12, 2017 |
This book will definitely appeal to fans of [Stephen King's][The Stand]. A select few people wake up in a world where almost everyone is gone and survival comes first. Soon the good vs the evil begin to emerge. This well paced book had a variety of characters. Although there are similarities to [The Stand] is is a more modern version that has different issues and consequences. Overall an enjoyable read. ( )
  MsHooker | Jul 27, 2016 |
Yesterday's Gone: Season One by Sean Platt, David Wright is a (maybe) highly recommended start to a serialized post-apocalyptic series.

The premise to Yesterday's Gone grabbed my attention immediately: very few people are left alive after a world changing event occurred at 2:15 a.m., Eastern Standard Time, on October 15th. At that time everyone fell asleep and then 99.9% of the world's population simple vanished after a reported dark cloud ascended on everyone. There are other, odd things missing as well.

The book is written as if you are following episodes of an ongoing TV series where, as the questions abound and multiply, all the answers are yet to be revealed. The episodes introduce us to the cast of characters: a journalist, a serial killer, a mother and daughter, several teens, a special agent, and an eight-year-old boy, and then follow their actions as they try to figure out what has happened and where they should do. As they are seeking answers, terrifying creatures/monsters begin to appear and are becoming more and more common. The monster only purpose seems to be to kill the survivors.

But, you need to know going into this that it may be a long haul to get some answers since this is "season one" of six so-called seasons (books) and each season contains "episodes." I would agree that this first book did make me think of The Stand and Lost, but, at this point after season one, it's not nearly as good as either of those. It's also clear that some scenes and actions are loosely based on other shows and books, which may bother some readers.

Yesterday's Gone: Season One lends itself to a good news/bad news review summation:
The good news is that you can likely find a digital copy of this first season somewhere for free. The bad news is that there are currently 6 seasons. The good news is that it is fast-paced, entertaining, sometimes gruesome, and additively readable. The bad news is the writing quality and character development aren't always very good.

I am going on to read Season Two because I have a review copy of it and perhaps I'll know after that if I want to continue on reading the series or not. I do tire of novels written in parts. I much prefer novels that stand alone and have a beginning, middle and end. (There are some exceptions, such as Margaret Atwood's three novels in her MaddAddam trilogy, which work together but can stand alone.)

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of Collective Inkwell for review purposes. ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
These episodes are exciting, compelling and almost impossible to put down. My only issue with this series is that it is so "out there" that it keeps me off balance. It is like a story with an unreliable narrator- I can't quite get a feel for who are the good guys and who aren't. I think I expected to have a little more of a handle on what's going on by this point. Hopefully, there will be answers in the next series of episodes. ( )
  glindaharrison | Oct 19, 2015 |
  glindaharrison | Oct 19, 2015 |

Sean Plattprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wright, David W.main authorall editionsconfirmed
To You, the reader. Thank you for taking the a chance on us. Thank you for your support. Thank you for the emails. Thank you for the reviews. Thank you for reading and joining us on the road.
On the day everything changed, Brent Foster's biggest convern was getting an hour to himself.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible