Cruel Women, Stupid Men by Dan Roentsch

Cruel Women, Stupid Men (edition 2011)

by Dan Roentsch

Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 198 pages
Rating:*
Tags:blog

Cruel Women, Stupid Men by Dan Roentsch

B-??? (1) blog (1) fiction (1) wishlist (1)

I had a hard reading this book. It was not what I was expecting yes it has some funny parts but the book is written in blog style by outlandish characters that I could not relate to nor that could not grab my attention no matter how hard I tryed and I have I could not finish the book.I recieved this book almost two months ago if that says anything I realize not all books are for eveyone I was expecting a book with alot more comedy and alot less naughty bad jokes that go on for pages.Although I appreciate the author sending me this book I think It would of been better served given to someone else. ( )
  EffixiousSundown | Dec 15, 2012 |
This book came from a creative idea, but in the end, I think the author just took it too far, to the extent that I'm somewhat surprised I was able to force myself to finish it.

Based in the idea of exploring a book blog (structurally) and creating a satire from the crazy figures behind it, all of whom use the blog as a diary (albeit themed) moreso than your traditional blog, the book explores three ridiculous figures and the folks around them. The problem, consistently, is that the book crosses the line from being humorous and funny to simply being silly. The voices are over-the-top to the point that the content gets lost because the voices expressing it are, simply, so incredibly annoying. True, some figures say "well" in the midst of every sentence, and some figures put a hypothetical question mark at the end of each of their statements---BUT, even these figures don't translate those mannerisms into writing. Certainly, they don't do it in every other sentence. Now, certainly, this is part of the satire...but it's also overdone to the point that reading becomes infuriating.

Overall, I like the idea. But, I also felt like I was reading a 200 page dirty joke which wavered back and forth between being boring and being slightly humorous. Too often, I was just reading to read, waiting for the punchline....which, when it came, was fairly flat and disappointing.

This might appeal to readers who want more comedy than story, but while I like comedy, the over-writing and outright silliness were just too much. I like my comedy and craziness a bit more tempered, and here, there just wasn't any discipline or holding back, to the extent that, really, I'm afraid it was just a long experimental dirty joke. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Nov 4, 2012 |
This book is hilarious. A satire of pop-culture, art and sex in the current-day USA. A very enjoyable read.

The characters, ranging from the self-righteous to the naively modest, are very likable. The style of comedy can go from tongue in cheek to laugh out loud.

The book is an eye-opening change. After reading the reviews you'll think it's a clever orchestration of blogs that tell a humorous story. And indeed, it is, and it does. But what will suprise you is the depth of character revealed in each vignette.

I applauded when I finished reading Cruel Women, Stupid Men. Dan Roentsch's novel made me laugh out loud and think profound thoughts.

Dan Roentsch is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,239,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible