Darkness Comes This Way (Volume 1) by Pixie…

Darkness Comes This Way (Volume 1)

by Pixie Lynn Whitfield

201515,329 (3)None

Full disclosure - I know Pixie as a book blogger and I got her book to support her work. Even though I know her, my review is still my reflection on the story, not the person.

Darkness Come This Way is a vampire story, but I promise you there is not a single glitter in sight. Guardians are vampire fighters who seek out Rogues - vampires who have given in to bloodlust. There are strange things happening among the Rogues and Zarah and Draven are teamed together to find out what’s going on.

It’s hard to talk about the plot without spoiling it because it is complex and twisting. Both Zarah and Draven are intricate character and I found myself rooting for them. Zarah has an interesting past - she was once Rogue but has since been cured, though no one really understands how. Draven (who has no past that he can remember) isn’t happy with working with Zarah, so that creates a lot of tension for their team.

I think this was a good story, and I think, given a dedicated editor it would have been a great story. It’s hard in the self-pub world to get the resources and funds for someone to edit your work, but I think a dedicated editor working on this would have helped with the flow of the story. That was my main issue with the book, there were times when I would pick up phrases and ideas that seem to contradict each other and it would pull me away from the passage while my internal editor[1] kicked in.

Overall, if you like a good vampire story, you’ll like this one. There is a lot of fighting and a lot of action and a lot of turns to keep you on your toes.

[1] My internal editor often prefers relaxing instead of working, and can usually be found frolicking in the fields, but every now and then she comes out with her red pen. This is a random, and unnecessary footnote but I’m going to leave it here because it amuses me.
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |

Pixie Lynn Whitfield is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible