Beneath the Surface by Joya Fields

Beneath the Surface

by Joya Fields

Brooke Richards has come to Florida to visit her best friend and to visit a very famous Dr about getting a new prosthesis. The book start out with her friend and her husband going out on a boat and it exploding shortly after with Brooke still on the pier watching in horror. Brooke is no stranger to tragedy as her and her parents were in an earthquake in Egypt 2 years ago where her parents lost there lives trying to save her and she lost her leg. They manage to find both of her friends in the water and miraculously they are still alive.

Garrett Ciavello is a detective with the Beach Police Department. His niece had been missing for two months and with a previous report from Brooke and her friends that they had found a box on the bottom of the ocean floor with red hair floating out of it his gut is telling him its his niece.

It becomes clear that the attempt on her friends lives has something to do with the box they had found but its as yet to be recovered from the ocean. When she realizes this she joins forces with Garrett and his friend Diego to try and find it to see if it does contain his niece and to figure out who did it. But this puts her on the radar of the killer and attempts are made on her life. Garrett who has a strong sense of being the protector vows that nothing will happen to Brooke and keeps her close. Brooke whose last involvement with a man didnt end well is hesitant to start a relationship with Garrett for that reason and also her embarrassment over her missing leg. Very touching initial sex scene when she decides to let go of her fears and give into her desires.

I figured out early on who the bad guy was but his true reason for what he was doing was still a surprise at the end.

This was a good suspense story with some interesting underwater scenes. Looking forward to what's next from this author. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
I especially enjoyed this book, it was set in south Florida and having lived in the area for 15 years it was familiar to me. Ms. Fields did an excellent job handling Brooke's handicap and especially the way it seemed to make no difference at all to Garrett. I was fascinated by Brooke's expertise in underwater archaeology, I am going to have to do some more research on that particular field, it seems very interesting! Last but not least Garrett is absolutely yummy! Don't start this book unless you plan on staying up late! I read it all in one sitting because I was so caught up in solving the crime and spending time with Brooke and Garrett to see them find their HEA!
  debr56 | Dec 30, 2014 |
**A copy was provided by the author for review purposes**

My Review:
What do archaeologists and police investigators have in common? A lot more than you think.

I signed up to read this book as part of a blog tour. I liked this book a lot. It was a quick read. I basically devoured it in less than a day. I was shocked that the action happened so early on in the book and wondered if the end of the book would be slow and boring. Not so. The action continued through the end of the book.

I enjoyed the main characters Brooke and Garrett. Brooke is trying to be independent and meets Garrett when a horrible accident happens with her friends. They both end up liking each other, but Brooke also has to deal with Garrett wanting to protect her and give her help. Garrett is attracted to Brooke and also senses the need to be careful and not over do with Brooke. I also liked that the author didn’t have a big “fight” near break-up as is usually touted in this type of book. There were some tense moments between the romantic couple, but didn’t follow the usual path.

I enjoyed the small look at underwater archaeology work and how it intertwined with the similarities of police investigators. The description of the underwaters and diving was very well done. I also liked all of the couples portrayed in the book.

This was a very well written romantic suspense. There is plenty of romance and plenty of suspense. ( )
  nsjlh | Jul 22, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,596,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible