This Case Is Gonna Kill Me by Phillipa…

This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (2012)

by Phillipa Bornikova

Linnet Ellery a young female human lawyer at a male vampire law firm tackles more than just the good ole' boy club. She faces, werewolves, Elves, catty women, back stabbing co-workers, sneaky lawyers, liars and bad sex. She was taken/given as a child to live in a vampire home, fostering and is comfortable in their world. Well she thought she was, everything is about to get tangled and twisted. She is stuck in a non-ending case with one of the law firm lessor lawyers. Well, it was non-ending till a new bit of information surfaced. Then death comes drooling up to her office. This is the beginning of everything changing. Oh, and there is one sexy Elf.

I loved the world and the fantastic characters created by this author. The heroine was strong, smart and able to accept her stupid choices with humble face palming. Linette rocks ! The romance was there,nicely timed,a light feather dusting of a tease, perfect timing for my taste. There were a few bumps, I didn't understand the need for so much "horse' time in the book. It just seemed thrown in out of love for them. The plot seemed a bit rushed towards the end. Minor bumps really. It is a first novel and even with the bumps it was an excellent reading vacation for me.

I am putting this author on my 'Not to be missed list" Some of my favorite authors first books are not as good as this one. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Linnet is starting her first day at the white fang law firm that both family connections and an excellent schooling made possible. The usual day to day work events come to a screeching halt with a werewolf attack at work on the lawyer she directly works for. Surviving the attack by dumb luck, she decides to solve the murder and maybe actually settle the case that she inherited from the murder that had been strung along for years. The setting lf the story is interesting with the supernatural or "Powers" out in the open. You find out less about werewolves than the vampires or the Fey. A solid first book in a series that turns out to be a pen name for an established writer. Linnet makes mistakes but does her best to fix her errors and do what is right. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book has been on my Want list for quite some time but I’ve been tightening up the ol’ book budget so I waited until it was released as a mass market paperback. I’m glad I was able to find it while I was in Florida since it’s an enjoyable and slightly different urban fantasy. It’s part legal procedural, part urban fantasy, and all good.

Linnet is nothing like your typical urban fantasy heroine. She doesn’t have superpowers, she doesn’t have magic, and she doesn’t have secret supernatural heritage. What she has is a law degree, the will to succeed, and some family connections. I really enjoy stories that star an underdog and Linnet practically personifies the word. No one likes her at work, she’s assigned to a case that no one wants, and she ends up nearly getting killed for it. But Linnet eventually finds her feet and starts investigating, with the help of John O’Shea, a Fae investigator often hired by the law firm.

This is where things get good. Bornikova has crafted a great mystery for us and I really wasn’t sure how the case would get resolved. There are so many twists and turns as Linnet tries to figure out what’s going on with the inheritance and why people are suddenly (and literally) out for blood after so many years of the case stagnating. I couldn’t predict how things were going to turn out and that made me really happy. :)

Another selling point is that THIS CASE IS GONNA KILL ME has some fantastic mythology. The world Bornikova has created is really interesting. Supernaturals are out in the open and they have important relationships with humans. Linnet’s family has ties with a powerful vampire, which is part of the reason she got hired at her fancy White-Fang law firm. Everything seems very clearly laid out and well planned and I look forward to learning more about the series mythology in future novels.

I’ve seen a few negative reviews about THIS CASE IS GONNA KILL ME but I quite enjoyed the novel. It’s a strong urban fantasy debut for Bornikova and I’m looking forward to BOX OFFICE POISON.

http://ireadgood.wordpress.com ( )
  jthorburn | Feb 15, 2014 |
More paranormal romance than urban fantasy, the author tends to treat the "Powers" (vampires, werewolves, and elves) in this story in a fairly matter-of-fact way, even when all hell is breaking loose. While I like the character of Linnet Ellery this novel is at its best when examining the seedy side of legal work. The question for me is how long will it take for this series to go off the rails like so many other books of this sort; the non-sparkly presentation of relations is the prime virtue here. ( )
  Shrike58 | Dec 14, 2013 |
Actual rating: 2.5 stars ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
This one is for Christy Carbon-Gaul, attorney extraordinaire, friend, advisor, and an all-around smart, pushy, modern woman.
"This case is gonna kill me."

What happens when The Firm meets Anita Blake? You get the Halls of Power—our modern world, but twisted. Law, finance, the military, and politics are under the sway of long-lived vampires, werewolves, and the elven Alfar. Humans make the best of rule by “the Spooks,” and contend among themselves to affiliate with the powers-that-be, in order to avoid becoming their prey. Very loyal humans are rewarded with power over other women and men. Very lucky humans are selected to join the vampires, werewolves, and elves—or, on occasion, to live at the Seelie Court.

Linnet Ellery is the offspring of an affluent Connecticut family dating back to Colonial times. Fresh out of law school, she’s beginning her career in a powerful New York “white fang” law firm. She has high hopes of eventually making partner.

But strange things keep happening to her. In a workplace where some humans will eventually achieve immense power and centuries of extra lifespan, office politics can be vicious beyond belief. After some initial missteps, she finds herself sidelined and assigned to unpromising cases. Then, for no reason she can see, she becomes the target of repeated, apparently random violent attacks, escaping injury each time through increasingly improbable circumstances. However, there’s apparently more to Linnet Ellery than a little old-money human privilege. More than even she knows. And as she comes to understand this, she’s going to shake up the system like you wouldn’t believe….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:21 -0400)

In a world where humans endure the laws and politics of vampires, werewolves, and elves in order to avoid becoming prey, Linnet Ellery embarks on a career with a "white fang" firm and is targeted by random attacks.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,057,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible