Immunity to Strange Tales by Susan Forest

Immunity to Strange Tales

by Susan Forest

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have not received this book so that I could review it. I was supposed to receive it as a part of Library Thing's Early Reviewers group. --Update: I've received the ebook and will review it soon.
  ladyoflorien | Feb 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Immunity to Strange Tales is a compilation of, well yes, strange tales, but also very sad tales. A few stories early in the book aimed for surprise twist endings, but I saw them coming. Later in the book the stories became very well written and I did not know where they would end up. Unfortunately the stories became so sad that I found it harder and harder to return to the book until around halfway through I just had to stop.

Maybe I just get depressed too easily these days, but I prefer to have a bit of an uplifting ending. Suffering and angst are good for character development, but I like to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Your mileage may differ
  media-junkie | Sep 19, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had to stop reading. The first story is obvious and depressing, the second one is gross and depressing, the third one is poignant and depressing (and I would have liked it if the first two hadn't been such downers), the fourth one I would actually recommend to anyone who enjoys chemistry humour, but by the time I got to the fifth, I just didn't have the stomach to read about incest, no matter how it was framed. Gross.

I may skip the rest of this story and pick it up again at the next one, but I don't have enough motivation to do so yet. ( )
1 vote wosret | Aug 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Immunity to Strange Tales is a collection of twelve short stories, most of which could be considered Sci-Fi, most of which I enjoyed greatly.

Outstanding were the stories Back (about a Time Machine), The Right Chemistry (about Atoms), Tomorrow and Tomorrow (about what one is willing to do to ensure there is a tomorrow), Killing the Cat (about mind control) and Orange (about the end of the world). These stories were thought-provoking and after finishing these I had to pause and reflect about the message / morale contained within.

The other stories were also intriguing and thought provoking, but not as memorable as the ones mentioned above.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this collection to anyone who enjoys sci-fi and short stories.

I received this book as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program. ( )
  pratchettfan | Jul 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A nice collection of short stories, varied in content and style, all skillfully written. Some I found more academic than anything else; others were truly touching and thought-provoking. ( )
  ddupont | Jul 15, 2012 |

A collection of 12 short stories by one of Canada's rising stars of speculative fiction. Forest takes you from death-bed wishes to the eerie regions of madness employing subtle skill and fresh prose. Nine of the stories have appeared in publications such as Asimov's, On Spec, Analog, Tesseracts Ten, Tesseracts Eleven, Tesseracts 14, and AE Science Fiction Review. Three of the stories make their debut in this collection, with an introduction by one of Canada's respected editors and experts, Mark Leslie Lefebvre.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susan Forest's book Immunity to Strange Tales was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Five Rivers Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Five Rivers Publishing.

Editions: 1927400147, 1927400155

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,648,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible