Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds

Creepy Carrots!

by Aaron Reynolds

Other authors: Peter Brown (Illustrator)

Series: Creepy Carrots (1)

Cute & creepy, perfect for a spooky story time.
Pair with The Book That Eats People. ( )
  fablibrarian | Nov 7, 2017 |
This is a fun book about Jasper Rabbit and his love of carrots, until the day they started following him! The kids loved guessing about what was really happening and I loved hearing how their theories changed between kindergartners and 5th graders. This is a fun not-so-scary book to read with kids around Halloween, or any time! ( )
  Tessa.Johnson | Nov 1, 2017 |
I loved this book for a few reasons. Firstly, I loved the illustrations within this book. On every page, mostly everything is in black and white. However, anytime a carrot is in the illustration or something that Jasper Rabbit thinks is a carrot, it is bright orange. This highlights the carrots as the focal point of the story. It also shows how much Jasper Rabbit loves carrots as well as becomes scared of them later. Jasper Rabbit is a talking rabbit that pulls carrots out of the ground and devours them multiple times of the day. The carrots that Jasper loved then come to life and follow him around like zombies. Jasper Rabbit becomes so scared that he ends up building a fence around the carrots and stops eating them. In the beginning of the book, the carrots are drawn very small and seem insignificant. However, once Jasper Rabbit becomes scared of the carrots, the carrots are drawn larger than Jasper Rabbit and look menacing. This was purposely done to show the differences in Jasper Rabbit's perspective. The illustrations really stood out to me, and were different from illustrations I have seen before. I believe it really enhances the story.
Another reason I love this book is that as a reader, you are left guessing as to if the creepy carrots were actually real or if they were just a part of Jasper Rabbit’s imagination. Once Jasper Rabbit begins to fear the carrots, they are huge and look like zombies. But when Jasper has an adult look, they are just everyday objects. This leads the reader to believe that the carrots were never haunting Jasper, and that he just made it up. However, at the end the carrots throw a party and are ecstatic that Jasper built a fence around them. The carrots say that their plan worked so Jasper wouldn’t eat them anymore. This makes it seem like the carrots were alive and truly were haunting Jasper. However, this could still be Jasper’s imagination as he might imagine that is how the carrots would have felt when they were alive. This mystery in the book thoroughly intrigued me and I have now read it more than once. The choice the author made to do this made the book even better.
The main idea of this story is that one shouldn’t let their imagination get the best of them. Jasper Rabbit may have imagined all of this to happen, and it influenced him greatly. If he would have moved on or stopped thinking about the creepy carrots, he would have gone about his life normally. He wouldn’t have had to stop eating carrots or be in fear almost every second of every day. ( )
  AriannaMaine | Oct 26, 2017 |
I love this book. First, I like the plot. The story is about a bunny who loves carrots, but the carrots begin to follow him around, but no one believes him or sees the creepy carrots. The book builds suspense each time when the bunny thinks he sees the creepy carrots, but mysteriously when he turns around they are gone. Second, I enjoyed the illustrations. This book one the Caldecott. The illustrations are in black, white and gray, except for the carrots, which are orange. Only using color for the carrots helped to emphasize them and helped create a creepy mood. Finally, the language is descriptive. The author said "He could hear the soft and sinister tunktunktunk of carrots creeping". The language helped to add suspense and showed the bunny's increasing fear of the carrots. The big idea of the story is not to be afraid of others. ( )
  kflana6 | Oct 10, 2017 |
I really enjoyed reading “Creepy Carrots”. It tied in goofiness, with the realism of the relationship that bunny rabbits and carrots have in everyday life. The book did a great job of letting the illustrations speak for themselves with the use of color, line, and space. The colors were repetitive with the use of black, orange, white, and sometimes yellow which is very similar to the colors used in Halloween. This added a sense of fear of the unknown, which was what the bunny was feeling. The use of the color, yellow in the carrots eyes on the hill or their stalks in the bathtub, really captured my attention and made me think the carrots were truly evil and had a sinister plan. Without the illustrations, the book wouldn’t be as interesting or meaningful as it is. The writing tells one story, but the illustrations allow you to interpret their meaning more in depth. The writing was very well paced and made me wonder what would happen next. The author was careful not to say everything that was happening and made you flip the page and keep reading to find out more. This book is relatable because of it’s similarities to what many people experience at a young age, the fear of a monster under the bed or in the closet. Often times, parents can never see what the individual may see, just like the rabbit saw the creepy carrots everywhere, but his parents only saw things that were always in the house. To one person something may be extremely scary, but to another it might not appear to be scary at all. It’s important to respect others fears instead of making fun of them for what they may not be able to control. ( )
  eportm1 | Oct 9, 2017 |

Aaron Reynoldsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

The carrots that grow in Crackenhopper Field are the fattest and crispiest around and Jasper Rabbit cannot resist pulling some to eat each time he passes by, until he begins hearing and seeing creepy carrots wherever he goes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,399,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible