Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds

Creepy Carrots! (edition 2012)

by Aaron Reynolds, Peter Brown (Illustrator), Aaron Reynolds (Author)

Title:Creepy Carrots!
Authors:Aaron Reynolds
Other authors:Peter Brown (Illustrator), Aaron Reynolds (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Published After 2000, Picture Book
Tags:rabbit, carrots, defense, psychological thriller, reverse psychology, haunting, twilight zone

Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds

Jasper Rabbit loved carrots, especially those growing in Crackenhopper Field. But when they followed him home one evening, Jasper suddenly began to see Creepy Carrots everywhere. Despite his parents' assurances that there were no sinister root vegetables lurking in the vicinity, Jasper knew that they were out there, and he decided to take measures to protect himself. Little did he suspect the role he was playing in his vegetable foes' plan...

Awarded a Caldecott Honor in 2013, Creepy Carrots is an amusing tale, one sure to please young children who want stories that are a little bit scary and quite a bit funny. I enjoyed the surprise ending, in which it is revealed that the carrots are deliberately frightening Jasper, in order to get him to stop eating them, but I do wonder a bit at the wisdom of convincing children that it's a bad idea to eat their vegetables. Don't we already have enough of a problem with that? Leaving that qualm aside, this was an entertaining tale, one made all the better by Peter Brown's spooky pencil illustrations, which capture both the frights and the fun of the story. Recommended to anyone looking for lighter Halloween fare for younger children. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Oct 5, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. Having never read it before I was thinking it was something different than what it really was about. The illustrations in the book are amazing! The carrots have a lot of detail and look genuinely angry (especially on the cover) and the rabbit looks genuinely terrified. I like the fact that the carrots are the only image that has color. Everything else is black and white. The language was an easy read. The "big idea" of the book was that all of the carrots wanted to be together and eventually got their wish.
  JennyRiesett | Sep 18, 2016 |
Jasper Rabbit LOVES to eat carrots! However, the carrots aren't too keen on being eaten and decide to torment Jasper by creeping around. Illustrtions do a great job of setting a "creepy" mood.
  JLT70 | Jul 28, 2016 |
Lots more in CLAN!
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this picture book for many reasons. First, as a preschool teacher, it is a classroom favorite and my students love it! The writing style is very far-fetched and humorous which is why the kids love it so much. The writing styles is also very dramatic and seems like it could be out of a children’s scary movie so the children are very interested in listening because of the dramatics. Another reason why I enjoy this story is the illustrations. All the illustrations are done in black and white which adds some effects to the mystery and drama of the story. However, there is one item consistently in color throughout the entire story and that is the carrots. Another reason I enjoy this story is the plot. The plot is unique and quirky and seems very relatable for young children even though the main character is a rabbit. However, I think the children can relate to the idea of having a fear that appears irrational to their parents but feels very real and true to them. I also think the idea of having the antagonistic as a vegetable more specifically a carrot is an interesting deviation from the typical villain character. The main idea of this story is that sometimes it is important to ensure that no situation deserves the dramatics and the story also includes a little bit of “The Boy Who Cried Wolf” slightly so do not over dramatize a situation that is not major. ( )
  skres1 | Mar 18, 2016 |

Aaron Reynoldsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The carrots that grow in Crackenhopper Field are the fattest and crispiest around and Jasper Rabbit cannot resist pulling some to eat each time he passes by, until he begins hearing and seeing creepy carrots wherever he goes.

22 wanted2 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,722,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible