Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds

Creepy Carrots! (edition 2012)

by Aaron Reynolds, Peter Brown (Illustrator), Aaron Reynolds (Author)

Member:butterbrodt
Title:Creepy Carrots!
Authors:Aaron Reynolds
Other authors:Peter Brown (Illustrator), Aaron Reynolds (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Published After 2000, Picture Book
Tags:rabbit, carrots, defense, psychological thriller, reverse psychology, haunting, twilight zone

Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds

This book is pretty cool. Based around the old T.V. series The Twilight Zone, much of the book is in black and white except for the carrots that attempt to scare the young rabbit. The black and white of the illustrations clearly gives a creepy feel to the book as a whole. It also allows the orange objects and orange carrots to stand out from the rest of the background. This book is more of a humorous one as opposed to a story that has a main message. Throughout the book, the reader is unsure if the carrots are trying to scare him or if it is just his overactive imagination. To keep the carrots away from him, he builds a fence with a moat around the cabbage patch. this is what the carrots wanted all along. This way the rabbit would never be able to come and eat them again. Despite being without a message, it is a fun book that is wonderful for the Halloween season. ( )
  MattM50 | Nov 18, 2014 |
“Creepy Carrots!” by Aaron Reynolds and illustrated by Peter Brown is one of the best picture books I have read in a long time! I loved the way the illustrations enhanced the text: the black borders, the shadows, and way only the carrots were drawn in color. All of these details and more added to the creepy tone of the story. The carrots were made to look frightening, but in a really cute way. I also loved the twist at the end, when the carrots celebrate being protected from Jasper. This was a great addition to the plot, and is one of the main reasons I love this story so much. The only message I could take from this book, aside from it being entertaining, is that things are not always as they seem; at first, the reader is led to believe that the carrots are the bad guys and that Jasper is the victim, but then all of that changes once the readers realizes that the carrots are only trying to protect themselves from being eaten! ( )
  ElizabethHaaser | Nov 8, 2014 |
I really liked this book and really enjoyed reading it. The story was really funny and original. It was about a rabbit who thinks creepy carrots are following him. The illustrations in the book are black and white but the carrots and orange objects are in orange. When Jasper thinks he sees the creepy carrots, they turn into ordinary orange objects. I really was engaged while reading this book and the plot was organized. The language is descriptive and had me wanting to keep turning the page. The illustrations enhanced and supported the story. The big idea of this book was humor, imagination, and creativity. ( )
  smeyer8 | Oct 27, 2014 |
This story is by far one of my favorite children’s books. The black and white drawings with simple glimpses of color, the use of descriptive sounds and the classic plot combine to create a story like no other. First off, the illustrator does an amazing job of drawing readers in with spooky and shadowed paintings of the menacing carrots. Only a great artist can create carrots that will even scare adults. Then the author describes a repetitive sound that the creepy carrots make, “tunktunktunk” as they follow behind the main character. This sound language creates not only a visual for the readers, but also adds an audible aspect. Then finally the author chose to use a classic plot, very similar to the boy who cried wolf, but then added a completely new and eccentric twist. This helped the story appeal to a number of readers. These three factors combine nicely to convey the author’s main message that you are often haunted by the things you love, especially when you know you are abusing the privilege of having them. ( )
  ShelbyBurton | Oct 27, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book! I really enjoyed Peter Brown’s illustrations in the story. The pictures were mainly black and white, except for the orange carrots to provide emphasis and a sense of spookiness to go along with the story. The plot was very silly and I loved how the carrots followed Jasper around scaring him so that he would stop eating them. Finally, I really enjoyed the writing in this story. There was a lot of repetition throughout the plot “we looked under the bed, no creepy carrots, we looked in the closet, no creepy carrots”. The repetition built the suspense as I tried to figure out where the carrots were. The main idea of this story is that you should overcome your challenges rather than living in fear. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Oct 27, 2014 |

Aaron Reynoldsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, PeterIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

The carrots that grow in Crackenhopper Field are the fattest and crispiest around and Jasper Rabbit cannot resist pulling some to eat each time he passes by, until he begins hearing and seeing creepy carrots wherever he goes.

2 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,387,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible