Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds

Creepy Carrots! (edition 2012)

by Aaron Reynolds, Peter Brown (Illustrator), Aaron Reynolds (Author)

Member:butterbrodt
Title:Creepy Carrots!
Authors:Aaron Reynolds
Other authors:Peter Brown (Illustrator), Aaron Reynolds (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Published After 2000, Picture Book
Tags:rabbit, carrots, defense, psychological thriller, reverse psychology, haunting, twilight zone

Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds

I really enjoyed this picture book for many reasons. First, as a preschool teacher, it is a classroom favorite and my students love it! The writing style is very far-fetched and humorous which is why the kids love it so much. The writing styles is also very dramatic and seems like it could be out of a children’s scary movie so the children are very interested in listening because of the dramatics. Another reason why I enjoy this story is the illustrations. All the illustrations are done in black and white which adds some effects to the mystery and drama of the story. However, there is one item consistently in color throughout the entire story and that is the carrots. Another reason I enjoy this story is the plot. The plot is unique and quirky and seems very relatable for young children even though the main character is a rabbit. However, I think the children can relate to the idea of having a fear that appears irrational to their parents but feels very real and true to them. I also think the idea of having the antagonistic as a vegetable more specifically a carrot is an interesting deviation from the typical villain character. The main idea of this story is that sometimes it is important to ensure that no situation deserves the dramatics and the story also includes a little bit of “The Boy Who Cried Wolf” slightly so do not over dramatize a situation that is not major. ( )
  skres1 | Mar 18, 2016 |
This picture book is about a bunny that is afraid of carrots he believes are stalking him from the place where the best carrots grow. He finds ways to dodge and avoid the carrots and ultimately comes up with a plan. ( )
  LupeGodoy | Mar 14, 2016 |
I liked this book, and believe it does deserve the Caldecott award for many reasons. First, the illustrations enhanced the story and added to the overall mood of the texts. The mood was creepy and dark, therefore, each illustration was black and white, except for the orange of the carrot. The colors in the pictures help the readers to understand the mood. Second, the character is believable. It is about a rabbit Jasper Rabbit who eats carrots and then thinks they are following him. This ties into children's dislike of vegetables. Third, the ending of the book was humorous and uplifting. The illustrator used colors in the last picture to show the readers the mood has changed. The humorous ending allowed students to further enjoy the story. The main idea of the story is that your biggest fears are not always realistic. ( )
  lducke3 | Feb 22, 2016 |
I liked the book Creepy Carrots for several reasons. One of the reasons I like this book is because of the characters. The main character is a bunny who is afraid of carrots. His fear of carrots only arises when the sun sets. Throughout the story the character is developed more through the way the he talks to his parents about his fears. When he is laying in bed he thinks he sees a creepy carrot and screams “Creppy carrots!… DAD! DAD!” Through this the reader is able to see how real his fear is and is even able to connect to the character with personal experiences of being afraid of the dark. A second reason I enjoyed this book was because of the illustrations. The book was dark and had many shadows only illuminating the carrots and the orange items throughout the story that were mistaken for carrots in the night. The reader was able to feel a part of the story because of the details illustrations. Lastly, I enjoyed this book because of the plot. The plot was easy to follow from page to page and the plot was relatable. While reading the story it took me back to my childhood where I too was scared of the dark and much like he thought his toys were creepy carrots I thought my piles of clothes were monsters. The overall meaning of this text is to show that many people have fears and all though they may seem irrational to others, they are very real for the person experiencing them. It also helps readers to realize that our brains play tricks on us in the dark and often time our fears are just a part of our imagination. ( )
  kpatto3 | Feb 22, 2016 |
A little rabbit named Jasper is in love with picking carrots from Crackenhopper Field because he can pick them at anytime of the day and pick however many he wants. One day he notices something following him home and they looked like creepy carrots but there was nothing there. Then he started seeing them more and more but his parents didn't believe there was anything. Until one day Jasper gave up on trying to convince his parents there was creepy carrots, he built a moat around the field to stop them from haunting him. Turns out it was all part of the creepy carrots plan, they were trying to stop Jasper from eating them and they got their wish.
This was my favorite fantasy book of all because it was scary and mysterious and that is my favorite genre. It had a typical storyline as far as his parents not believing him but that is what made it so spooky since he had to figure out his own way to stop the creepy carrots. The pictures where in all black and white which set a great mood for the book. Also the fact that the illustrator made the carrots the only colorful things in the pictures set the tone for who was the main antagonists of the story.
GENRE: Fantasy
USE: Don't steal or it will haunt you ;)
Always be aware of your surroundings ( )
1 vote japodaca14 | Feb 10, 2016 |

Aaron Reynoldsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, PeterIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

The carrots that grow in Crackenhopper Field are the fattest and crispiest around and Jasper Rabbit cannot resist pulling some to eat each time he passes by, until he begins hearing and seeing creepy carrots wherever he goes.

29 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible