Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds

Creepy Carrots! (edition 2012)

by Aaron Reynolds, Peter Brown (Illustrator), Aaron Reynolds (Author)

322None34,221 (4.23)1
Member:butterbrodt
Title:Creepy Carrots!
Authors:Aaron Reynolds
Other authors:Peter Brown (Illustrator), Aaron Reynolds (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Fantasy, Published After 2000, Picture Book
Tags:rabbit, carrots, defense, psychological thriller, reverse psychology, haunting, twilight zone

Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds

2012 (5) 2013 (5) animals (15) black and white (6) bunnies (22) Caldecott (11) Caldecott Honor (17) carrots (62) children's (8) creepy (23) fantasy (14) fear (13) fears (5) fiction (20) food (12) funny (8) Halloween (30) humor (22) imagination (10) monsters (6) PBRI2013 (6) picture book (48) rabbits (51) read aloud (6) scary (34) signed (6) spooky (7) suspense (5) to-read (6) vegetables (14)

“Creepy Carrots” was a fantastic book, with a great message of sometimes you are right about the things you suspect. This book was full of fantastic illustrations. The use of color and boarders was fantastic. The vibrant colors pull the reader into the reading. I also enjoyed how the illustrations gave you the anticipation of the following and the disappearance. The use of boards of the illustrations also allowed for me as the reader to feel as if I were watching a horror film. Which also pulled me in to the book even more .I also enjoyed the pace of this book for it allowed suspense and anticipation. This story didn’t push me as to read faster put it did cause me to want to know what was going to happen next. The plot did have a few twist and turns. For this story started out as if it was going to be a cute story about a bunny and it turned out to be the cutest story of the following. ( )
  KiTiraShorter | Apr 16, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book and could read it over and over again because I enjoyed it so much. The illustrations, the text and the word choice all worked together to create an excellent book. The author used a lot of descriptive words throughout the story like “fat” and “crisp” to describe the carrots. The illustrations were what made this book what it was. The carrots were the only things colored on every page showing that it is the main focus of the story. The rest of the illustration being black and white really created a sense of mystery and suspense throughout the story, which was the idea. You were able to see shadows more and darker emotions, which the author intended. I liked how there were multiple images on each page to show movement and time passing, which also helped create suspense. The text in the story that was intended for more emotions were bigger and bold like “There they were!” The author created a lot of emotion through the pictures because you were able to see the scariness of the carrots and the worry face on the rabbit. The shadows created trough the black and white pictures really added to the emotions and the suspense of the story as well. The big idea of this story is to not be greedy. The carrots had to teach the rabbit a lesson that he couldn’t keep eating all the carrots and not be happy with just a few. ( )
  SaraColvin | Apr 10, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. First, I enjoyed the illustrations in this book. The carrots and other orange items were the only parts of the illustrations that were colored in. This drew attention to the carrots as well as other orange items throughout the story. Also, I liked the use of ellipses throughout the story to build suspense. For example, the author wrote “He turned…but there was nothing there.” The main message of this story is to not allow your imagination to get the best of you. ( )
  kjacob9 | Apr 7, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, I thought the plot was engaging due to the ongoing agony, suspense, and tension Jasper Rabbit felt. “Jasper Rabbit loves carrots—especially Crackenhopper Field carrots. He eats them on the way to school. He eats them going to Little League. He eats them walking home. Until the day the carrots start following him...or are they?” Jasper had gotten too greedy with eating the Crackenhopper Field carrots, and now his conscious is getting to him. He came up with a sneaky plan to solve his problem, but it turned out the carrots were even sneakier! I thought that this was a humorous book, especially after watching the video clip discussing how it was made. The second reason I thought this was a wonderful book was due to the exceptional illustrations. At the end, the reader is left wondering how paranoid Jasper was and this was due to the illustrations. Throughout the book Peter Brown cleverly disguised the carrots as everyday items. Also, everything was black and white except the carrots and their “disguises.” This created melodrama by the shadows and lighting and I really liked how Peter Brown found inspiration from black and white films to do so. The text connected so well to the illustrations: “By the end of the week Jasper was seeing creepy carrots creeping everywhere!” But were they really everywhere? That is for one’s own interpretation. I also liked the various literary elements used throughout the book; Aaron Reynolds employed the use of descriptive language to add to the suspense. An example of this would be the “terrible carroty breathing.” In real life carrots do not breathe in a way that one might hear them, but this descriptive language enhanced their terrifying qualities. Another element that enhanced the story was the use of the ellipses in the line, “That night as he was brushing his teeth…THEY WERE THERE!” By using this, it adds to the suspense and intensity of that point in the story. The main idea of this book was one should not be too greedy, because there may come a time when that comes back to haunt you—but at the same time, things may not always be what they seem. ( )
  sarabeck | Apr 1, 2014 |
I liked this book for its plot and illustrations. The plot of the story involves Jasper Rabbit being stalked by "creepy" carrots. It is a humorous problem that people of all ages can enjoy. I also liked the illustrations. Only one color, orange, is used. The rest of the pictures are in different shades of black and white. This allows the carrots and "creepy" carrots to really pop out and grab the focus of the story. For this reason, a person would not have to read the words to know the story.

The main idea for this story is to not let fears overcome you. Take control and deal with them as they arise. ( )
  ocosta1 | Mar 25, 2014 |

Aaron Reynoldsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, PeterIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

The carrots that grow in Crackenhopper Field are the fattest and crispiest around and Jasper Rabbit cannot resist pulling some to eat each time he passes by, until he begins hearing and seeing creepy carrots wherever he goes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible