What Pooh Might Have Said To Dante And Other…

What Pooh Might Have Said To Dante And Other Futile Speculations

by Manny Rayner

I like the part where he applies to be the Advertising Sales Director for Goodreads. ( )
  KidSisyphus | Apr 5, 2013 |
MANNY IS A FUCKING VOTE WHORE!!!!!!!

THERE! I SAID IT!!!!!

Never in my life I seen a more desperate attempt to get votes!!!!

He took vote whoring to a whole new level!!! He wrote a book to take you from the real world and drag you to the online world and vote for him!!!!!! What a bitch!!!!

Little known fact! Do any of ya’ll know that I’m forbidden to mass vote for Manny! One at the time it’s cool! But no mass voting!!! it has never bother me! Cuz fuck! The day I was about to mass vote his ass and drop a few thousand bounds on him I was asked by a friend not to! And the friend is cool people! So I promised not to ever ever do so!

It always made me wonder tho… why people hate Manny so much!???? And I*
Finally figured out why! Because he smarter than us!

GOD DAMN!!!!! THIS MOTHER FUCKER IS A NERD!!!!!!!!

I have never in my life seen such level of devotion to the little details that make a book a book! I’m not going to hide behind my usual wall of “I don’t know how to express myself” today! It is really simple! The level of nerd love that Manny drops on his parodies makes me think of a Simon Pegg movie! Or Seth Green and Matthew Senreich work on Robot Chicken! There is no other way to describe it! Its fun! Its smart! Its sexy! It takes pop cultural elements and make fun of them in a non-crude/mean manner! This part its going to be hard to explain! But I’ma try!!!!

I FUCKING LOVE MANNY’S PARODIES!!! The way he interacts with the characters and writers! The way he plays around with the plot elements and writing styles! His fictional discussion between crappy authors and good authors that said crappy authors think they honoring in their writing… the way he don’t seen to be taking himself so seriously! How he recognize his vote addiction and its not afraid to show it! His love for chess!!! His lack of understanding of the gamer mind! The way he even have his own fictional creation pawn his ass on a discussion almost made me fall of my chair laughing! His plays are fucking brilliant too!!!! Yo Manny! Remember your stuff white people like!? Turns out I ain’t white!!! You think that’s why I oppose the voting system the way I do!?

Still! Back to the book!!!

This is a must read!!!! And yet it promotes something I fucking hate!!! The goodreads voting system (which I have tried to destroy in several ocations!) now I find myself in the middle of fucked up paradox!!! I want to go find some of the reviews and vote for them and discuss them with Manny! But I hate the voting system! I want to make some reviews inspired by his parodies! But I hate getting votes!!! I want to go vote for him in mass! But there in a oath in the middle!!!! Dear god! My life is so sad!!!!!!

Still! Manny! My brother from another mother!!!!!! Thank you so much for this book! I honestly enjoyed to no end!

Also! It turns out that creating a different person inside your head and talking with it and losing arguments to it its not normal… either that or everyone I asked is laying to me!!!! And you and I are the only ones who do it!!!

*and by “I” I mean Esteban told me!
  Alfonso809 | Apr 3, 2013 |

Goodreads, and GRers themselves, fundamentally inspire the reading of books and the writing of reviews and the interactions that occur as a result of the collisions of both. The variations that inspiration engenders could probably be calculated using non-linear mathematics by the author of this speculative fiction piece given his prodigious applied and theoretical background in computing science, his achievements in chess, and his other publications.

This collection of reviews is, in part, the author's attempt to demonstrate concretely the reviewing styles available to the reader, should he or she choose to depart from the orthodoxy. While it is not a how-to Emannuel per se, it does contain explicit examples of the more popular adumbrations that abound. However, the author has failed to incorporate an increasingly popular trend emerging from various regions which employs the counterbalance of adopted melodies to emphasise, or even explicate, the value of the work being appraised. This should not detract either the casual observer or the interested scholar from approaching Pooh as a useful tool in self-expression; on the contrary, it can aid in both the germination and release of new ideas, methodologies for analysis, and general pontification on the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

In summary:

THE EURHYTHMICS: Love is a Stranger*

Reviews like a stranger in the world of books
To tempt you in and lead you far away
Reviews like a stranger in the world of books
To tempt you in and whirl you far away

And you read them, and you read them, and you read them here's a confession
And you read them, and you read them, and you read them it's an obsession

Reviews are a danger of a viral kind
To seduce your senses and manipulate your mind
And books, books, books are a dangerous drug
You have to imbibe them and you still can't to-be-read enough

They're savage and they're cruel and they shine like destruction
They're an inferno and a deluge and they create their own religion
They're noble and they're brutal, they distort and derange
They drench you in thought and leave you in carnage.

And you read them, and you read them, and you read them it's an obsession

Reviews guilt edged, glamorous and sleek by design
Reviewers fabulous by nature, riotous and wild
They dazzle and they drain you and it's totally cruel
They touch you and tease as you wander through the melee.

And you read them, and you read them, and you read them here's a confession
And you read them, and you read them, and you read them it's an obsession.

*source material ( )
  Scribble.Orca | Mar 31, 2013 |
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this review, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

My fellow CCLaP book reviewer Karl Wolff and I were having a discussion just the other day about the following subject -- that given what a wealth of original critical writing is being generated on a daily basis these days from pro-am critics at places like Amazon, Shelfari, LibraryThing, Netflix and IMDB, it's perplexing that more people aren't collecting up their essays in smart ways and releasing them as books, and trying to monetize a little all that effort they put into their online reviews throughout the year, in a way that's a lot more satisfying than simply rattling a virtual tip jar at every opportunity. Take for example ultra-popular Goodreads.com member Manny Rayner, who recently decided to do just that, gather up his hundred or so most popular write-ups based around such section topics as children's lit, foreign language, classics, experimental, etc., and release it as an ebook and print-on-demand paper volume at Amazon, since it costs literally no upfront money at all to do either. And the result is the delightful What Pooh Might Have Said to Dante, exactly what you expect it to be, a fun and smart callback to the days in the '70s when Pauline Kael and Fran Liebowitz were cranking out full-length books of their erudite reviews once a year as well, nothing essential for one's library but a great little collection to own, especially (forgive me, Manny) as a particularly well-timed bathroom book for hipster intellectuals. I think more online critics should be releasing books just like this one, so let Rayner's success be an object lesson for you all, that there are ways to potentially make a few hundred dollars a year from something you're doing for free already, without having to constantly beg for donations.

Out of 10: 9.0 ( )
  jasonpettus | Dec 7, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,614,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible