The Fifth Assassin by Brad Meltzer

The Fifth Assassin (2013)

by Brad Meltzer

Good thriller - Beecher and Tod (The Culper Ring) work to save the President from assassination ... many surprises ... sets up for a sequel! ( )
  EvaW | Jun 16, 2017 |
"A good thriller that really picks up the pace about half way through"...said one reviewer. I did not get that far. The first quarter was soooo booorrrring, I put it down in favor of something I could enjoy. Plot? Not sure it had one. On the good side, there is some history to be learned; I did get it that Garfield was assassinated, but I knew that. Enough Culper ring and Brad Meltzer, this is the second unsatisfying book--I quit! ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 8, 2016 |
From John Wilkes Booth to Lee Harvey Oswald, there have been more than two dozen assassination attempts on the President of the United States.
Four have been successful.
But now, Beecher White--the hero of the #1 New York Times bestseller The Inner Circle--discovers a killer in Washington, D.C., who's meticulously re-creating the crimes of these four men. Historians have branded them as four lone wolves. But what if they were wrong?
Beecher is about to discover the truth: that during the course of a hundred years, all four assassins were secretly working together. What was their purpose? For whom do they really work? And why are they planning to kill the current President?
Beecher's about to find out. And most terrifyingly, he's about to come face-to-face with the fifth assassin.
  dreamateam | Nov 9, 2016 |
Reads like a 'National Treasure'-esque movie, so if you happen to like that, like I do, then you will enjoy this book ( )
  petrichor8 | Jun 6, 2016 |
A good thriller that really picks up the pace about half way through! Two sides are at odds: Beecher White and his Culper Ring ( a group formed to protect the Presidency) and the Knight and his Knights of the Golden Circle ( a group formed to... well, actually, I didn't understand what they were doing, but hey, you do need two sides, right?). One of the Knights is recreating the four successful assassinations of the President of the United States, and Beecher and the Ring are trying to stop him from adding a fifth! The action is good, the dialogue is a little weak, and Beecher is a bit of a whiner, but the story works and there are some nice twists that help the plot from being cliched. I loved the secret behind the "suicide" king in the deck of cards! And all the stories revolving around the cards! I may even read the next book, which is so obviously set up by the ending of this one! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446553972, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2013: I consider myself a cagey reader, the literary equivalent of a wizened salmon, suspicious of fakery, wary of sloppy plotting and cliché, and ready to bail if I’m not lured in by page 50. So when Meltzer got his hooks in me by the end of page three, and never stopped reeling me in, I have to say I was impressed. I was also impressed that the hero of The Fifth Assassin (first introduced in The Inner Circle) isn’t a misanthrope cop or hard-drinking PI but a brainy archivist at the National Archives. Beecher White is a glorified librarian, for god's sake. But with a dash of Sherlock Holmes and a hint of Indiana Jones, White is a refreshingly quirky pursuer of justice, and his hunt for a would-be assassin—which takes us through history and through the secret spaces around Washington, DC—makes for a thrilling read, as well as a nice reminder that a page-turner can be smart, deeply researched, and just plain fun. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:07 -0400)

Archivist Beecher White discovers a connection that may link the individuals responsible for the only four successful assassinations of American Presidents after discovering a modern-day killer who is recreating the assassins' crimes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible