The Fifth Assassin by Brad Meltzer

The Fifth Assassin (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Brad Meltzer

Member:FremdeB
Title:The Fifth Assassin
Authors:Brad Meltzer
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:eBooks
Rating:***

The Fifth Assassin by Brad Meltzer (2013)

Wonderful read! ( )
  AdamSauliForever | Jun 10, 2014 |
Brad's a friend of mind and I'm credited in the book so take my rating with that in mind. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 6, 2014 |
This review is for the Audiobook version as read by Scott Brick.

By the end of Disc 1, Brick's near-monotone delivery had me falling asleep. I may go back and read the actual book someday, but it may not be for some time. ( )
  JoshuaAtkins | Dec 30, 2013 |
Title: The Fifth Assassin
Author: Brad Meltzer
Ratings: 3 1/2 Stars

I always love a good conspiracy, especially one that is well thought-out and smart. In The Fifth Assassin, Brad Meltzer will have you flipping the pages from the beginning. Unfortunately, that's the best it's going to get. After the whole inciting incident, some chapters are full of tension and will have you flipping the pages for more while others will test your endurance and your will to finish a book.
This book is the third in a series (of sorts). I read the other two books that introduced Nico (our knight) and the Culper Ring but that was awhile ago and I forgot them. However, Meltzer does a good job in reintroducing you to the concept so that readers won't get confused and can read this book as a standalone book.

Another good thing he is an expert on is on characters. Meltzer's character are top-notch! He makes sure to add in just enough backstory to have you sympathizing with the characters and even make you like the "villains".

I would have given this book a much higher rating (minimum 4 stars) because of its amazing characters, conspiracy, plot, and writing. However, the structure pretty much made it too iffy for me.

In his quest to create an illusion of mystery, Meltzer jumps around from narrator to narrator, which wouldn't have been too bad, but he also jumps around chronologically as well. It was the whole keeping track of WHO IS NARRATING WHERE AT WHAT YEAR every single chapter that basically irked me throughout the entire book. And, each chapter is like the average thriller-novel length (in other words, SHORT). When I am reading, I want to lose myself in the world and not have to concern myself with the technicalities of the setting.

Overall, it was a good book. Meltzer's fan will enjoy reading it. Conspiracies buff will emerge with a new conspiracy to talk about. However, not a book I would recommend to people who asks me for thriller recommendations. ( )
  ChristineySong | Aug 20, 2013 |
there have been 4 successful assassinations of US Presidents-but now Beecher White,the archivist from Inner Circle,dicovers a killer in Washington,DC who is recreating these crimes and is ready for a5th ( )
  MomMom46 | Jun 19, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446553972, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2013: I consider myself a cagey reader, the literary equivalent of a wizened salmon, suspicious of fakery, wary of sloppy plotting and cliché, and ready to bail if I’m not lured in by page 50. So when Meltzer got his hooks in me by the end of page three, and never stopped reeling me in, I have to say I was impressed. I was also impressed that the hero of The Fifth Assassin (first introduced in The Inner Circle) isn’t a misanthrope cop or hard-drinking PI but a brainy archivist at the National Archives. Beecher White is a glorified librarian, for god's sake. But with a dash of Sherlock Holmes and a hint of Indiana Jones, White is a refreshingly quirky pursuer of justice, and his hunt for a would-be assassin—which takes us through history and through the secret spaces around Washington, DC—makes for a thrilling read, as well as a nice reminder that a page-turner can be smart, deeply researched, and just plain fun. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:50 -0400)

Archivist Beecher White discovers a connection that may link the individuals responsible for the only four successful assassinations of American Presidents after discovering a modern-day killer who is recreating the assassins' crimes.

41 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,287,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible