The Fifth Assassin by Brad Meltzer

The Fifth Assassin (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Brad Meltzer

Member:FremdeB
Title:The Fifth Assassin
Authors:Brad Meltzer
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2013), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:eBooks
Rating:***

The Fifth Assassin by Brad Meltzer (2013)

Reads like a 'National Treasure'-esque movie, so if you happen to like that, like I do, then you will enjoy this book ( )
  petrichor8 | Jun 6, 2016 |
A good thriller that really picks up the pace about half way through! Two sides are at odds: Beecher White and his Culper Ring ( a group formed to protect the Presidency) and the Knight and his Knights of the Golden Circle ( a group formed to... well, actually, I didn't understand what they were doing, but hey, you do need two sides, right?). One of the Knights is recreating the four successful assassinations of the President of the United States, and Beecher and the Ring are trying to stop him from adding a fifth! The action is good, the dialogue is a little weak, and Beecher is a bit of a whiner, but the story works and there are some nice twists that help the plot from being cliched. I loved the secret behind the "suicide" king in the deck of cards! And all the stories revolving around the cards! I may even read the next book, which is so obviously set up by the ending of this one! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
The Good: This series isn't my normal type of thing, but the books keep dragging me in. This time, a serial killer is going around assassinating priests, in the same style as past presidential assassinations. The history of it was intensely fascinating. We see these past presidential deaths first-hand in the book, which is newer to most than it really should be. We're usually taught about Kennedy and Lincoln but often American educations neglect details from the assassinations of Garfield and McKinley. The book is very suspenseful and quite surprising at times. It took a little getting into, but after the first couple chapters, I flew through the book.

The Bad: More and more, I'm finding it hard to believe that there is a shadow organization that would rely so heavily on a man who is clearly mentally unstable. I don't doubt the shadow organization. I doubt that they would be so invested in an institutionalized man who is clearly schizophrenic on top of other mental issues. Wouldn't they find someone a bit more reliable to, um, rely upon? ( )
  TequilaReader | Jan 22, 2016 |
Mostly satisfying sequel (to THE INNER CIRCLE) that brings back some great supporting characters and an easy-to-hate antagonist in the fictional U.S. president.

The voice of main character Beecher White (national archivist) is not quite as strong in this novel, and the flashbacks to his childhood are more annoying than in the first book, but the central mystery of who is reenacting presidential assassinations is truly compelling. I learned more of history in this book than I ever learned in a classroom. Which us what makes the Beecher White series so enjoyable.

Looking forward to the next installment! ( )
  phrenetic.mind | Dec 30, 2014 |
Brad's a friend of mind and I'm credited in the book so take my rating with that in mind. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 6, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446553972, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2013: I consider myself a cagey reader, the literary equivalent of a wizened salmon, suspicious of fakery, wary of sloppy plotting and cliché, and ready to bail if I’m not lured in by page 50. So when Meltzer got his hooks in me by the end of page three, and never stopped reeling me in, I have to say I was impressed. I was also impressed that the hero of The Fifth Assassin (first introduced in The Inner Circle) isn’t a misanthrope cop or hard-drinking PI but a brainy archivist at the National Archives. Beecher White is a glorified librarian, for god's sake. But with a dash of Sherlock Holmes and a hint of Indiana Jones, White is a refreshingly quirky pursuer of justice, and his hunt for a would-be assassin—which takes us through history and through the secret spaces around Washington, DC—makes for a thrilling read, as well as a nice reminder that a page-turner can be smart, deeply researched, and just plain fun. --Neal Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:07 -0400)

Archivist Beecher White discovers a connection that may link the individuals responsible for the only four successful assassinations of American Presidents after discovering a modern-day killer who is recreating the assassins' crimes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,394,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible