A Black Deeper Than Death (Miki Radicci Book…

A Black Deeper Than Death (Miki Radicci Book 1) (Volume 1)

by M.E. Purfield

2211476,730 (3)None

Sixteen year old Miki Radicci is an art prodigy and psychic empathy where she feels whatever pain someone else feels. When Miki experiences the murder of Katherine Moore is set on a path she doesn't expect. Detective Otto Sampson believes that Miki holds the key to solving Katherine's murder. Miki receives strange phone calls and emails of artwork that she doesn't show anyone including her Grandpa Blaise Radicci and her cousin Corey. Miki does her own investigation into the murder of Katherine Moore. She attends a candlelight vigil where she meets Chris Chandler. Miki really likes Chris. Miki can't seem to shake a sense of dread surrounding these deaths. Will Detective Sampson solve the case? How does Miki cope with psychic empathy? Where does Chris fit in? Your answers await you in A Black Deeper Than Death.

I loved Miki's sacrasm. Miki is so much more mature than some people around her. I also loved that there were two mysterious that needed to be solved. I really enjoyed how the author used the psychic empathy as great plot device. I will look forward to the next installment in this series. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Apr 22, 2013 |
What is the book about?

Miki is a sixteen year old artist who has made it famous. Not only is she talented as an artist, she is also a psychic who can feel people's emotional and physical pain.

It's when she accidentally feels the murder of a NYU student, who has an interesting job on the side. Now she draws attention to herself and now the killer if after her! She must hunt down this killer in order to stop the threats on her and her family.

What did I think of the book?

Miki is in search of answers and she will get them even if it means lying with false ID's and alias's. She is clearly a character that can take care of herself since she's basically been on her own for so long, a curse to having con-artists for parents. She's still a kid though, passing out drunk on the street because no one is there for her as a parent, she finds herself in quite a few sticky situations.

I found myself quite frustrated while reading this book since it seemed like Miki was making all the wrong decisions. She really needs parents or some guidance in her life. She made life way harder than it had to be, in order to save herself from the killer, without the help from detectives. That's either one really brave or really stupid girl. ( )
  lizasarusrex | Mar 4, 2013 |
What is the book about?

What did I think of the book?

lizasarusrex | Mar 4, 2013 |
This book is listed as young adult. I would never let my teenager read this. The main character is a drunk, egotistical girl, who can "feel" pain that others around her experience. She's trying to solve a murder she "felt" while she was drunk and being kicked out of a bar. This book is crass, and absolutely not something I would recommend for a young person. The writing feels rushed, I occasionally felt it was hard to keep up with where it was heading. ( )
  nickinickuhn | Feb 8, 2013 |
I received this free from Library Thing to read and review. In this book, the author has portrayed a character I still am not quite sure is the good one or the bad one. The book is the introduction of the main character, Miki, a sixteen year old artist, who likes to drink and use foul language regularly. I personally think the author could have portrayed her less harshly, as I immediately began to wonder where this book was taking me, and whether or not I could continue reading about a teenager who embodies many of the traits we criticize them for today. It was clear from the outset that she was out of control and very impressed with herself. I found out as I read that her parents were not on good terms with her and lived elsewhere, and she lived with her grandfather and an openly gay teen boy. While I am sure such situations do exist somewhere, I am not sure how realistic this whole situation is, and I hope no teenager looking for a role model reads this book. I definitely would not like my teen or any friend of my teen to act like Miki does most of the time. I am not sure I would encourage any teen to read the book either, as they could easily get ideas and fall into the same rut Miki is/was in. Likewise, I do not understand the role of her grandfather in all this since he does almost nothing to control Miki and nothing to stop her from falling deeper into her lifestyle, save a little "chat", which she ignores (he obviously is wasting her time by "preaching" to her). In the story, Miki has the unique capability of feeling other's pain as they do, which causes her problems and some visible black and blue marks on her body (where the person is stabbed, shop, etc.). After experiencing one of these incidents, Miki begins searching for answers to why a young girl has been killed, leading her on a winding and dangerous journey. During this journey, she manages to get drunk several times (and, it seems, no one ever questions her fake ID), mix herself up with a sex site and the nefarious persons running it, and fall in love with a seemingly innocent rich boy, who ultimately helps lead her to the truth while gravely endangering her. I found this book okay but not as easy a read as others might have said it is in reviews. The language did very little to add to the story and could easily have been toned down or somewhat eliminated. Same with some of the incidents trying to paint Miki as a "bad" girl. As I said, I would not recommend this to any teenager or to anyone who is not adult enough to look beyond all the stuff the author has inserted in an attempt to portray Miki as a "girl of the streets" (though not a prostitute, in the conventional sense). The storyline has potential to be great and could become an enjoyable way for teens to learn more about life and how events can change things. I just wish the author had concentrated less on painting a bad girl in a rather unrealistic situation and more about the storyline. ( )
  KMT01 | Feb 4, 2013 |

Miki Radicci, a 16-year-old famous artist, leads a secluded life in New York City. Not that she wants to dodge the press and celebrity; she wants to avoid people all together since she has the psychic ability to experience other people’s physical and emotional pain when near them. It gets so bad for her to handle that not even Xanax and alcohol can relieve the pain. When she accidentally experiences the murder of a prominent business student from NYU, Miki attracts the attention of the police and the killer who threatens her and her family. But Miki doesn't really know enough to identify the killer. She experiences the death but can't see his face. Miki decides to learn as much as she can about the killer by delving into the victim's secret life. She follows an urban underground trail that leads to goth modeling, a snuff internet site, and low level criminals. As she discovers the limits to her psychic talents and her ballsy actions, she realizes that the killer is not who she thinks it is, but rather someone close to her life. A Black Deeper than Death is a YA urban noir fantasy and also a start of a series.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

M.E. Purfield's book A Black Deeper Than Death (Miki Radicci Book 1) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

M.E. Purfield is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible