The New Few by Ferdinand Mount

The New Few

by Ferdinand Mount

This must be the ultimate curate's egg of a book. It begins with a description of Britain's oligarchy, omitting any mention of the powerful families that have run this country since time immemorial. The owners of our media sources are seen as sole representatives of the bad guys.

Just as I am about to lay this tome aside and write a blistering critique upon this site, our author produces an insightful piece upon the way in which both Labour and Conservative governments have stripped power from local bodies and secreted it into government offices and quangos.

I am beginning to question my initial judgement when, Mr. Mount moves onto the topic of the coalition government, which was obviously just coming to power as he was penning this work. We are assured that this is the solution to all the aforementioned ills and that, although the Conservatives will be held back by the Lib Dems, they will be our liberators. History has, of course, removed any doubt as to the inaccuracy of that prediction.

Were the above not to be bad enough, our author decides to end the book with a party political broadcast on behalf of the blue party. This is the weakest section of all; it seems that all rational has gone out of the window as dubious doctrine is extolled and flags are waved.

The book deserves its three stars for the section concerning the dismantling of local government: it more than deserves to lose the other two for its sneaky partisanship and painfully inaccurate predictions. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Mar 3, 2016 |

This was supposed to be the era when democracy came into its own, but instead power and wealth in Britain have slowly been consolidated in the hands of a small elite, while the rest of the country struggles financially and switches off politically. We are now ruled by a gang of fat-cats with fingers in every pie who squabble for power among themselves while growing richer. Bored with watching corrupt politicians jockeying for power, ordinary Britons are feeling disconnected from politics and increasingly cynical about the back-scratching relationship between politicians and big business. The New Few shows us what has led to this point, and asks the critical questions: why has Britain become a more unequal society over the past thirty years? Why have the banks been bailed out with taxpayers' money, while bankers are still receiving huge bonuses? Why have those responsible not been held accountable for the financial crash? Why has power in Britain become so concentrated in the hands of corrupt politicians who have been exposed cheating their constituents in the expenses scandal? Despite this bleak diagnosis, there are solutions to the rise of the new ruling class in the modern West. The New Few sets out some of the ways in which we can restore our democracy, bringing back real accountability to British business and fairness to our society. - Publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,398,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible