Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure by…

Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure

by Sophie Barnes

This is the first book of The Summersby's series and I already have the second `There's Something About Lady Mary' on my Kindle.

As a reviewer, once I'm done reading the book, I do one of two things: if I loved the book, I write my review right away, and if I didn't care for it, I take my sweet time and debate the matter trying to figure out the reasons behind my dislike of it. The longer I debate, the more I dread writing a review because I am at that point finding too many things I don't like. It so happens to be the case with this book.

First, I understand what Ms. Sophie Barnes was going for and the title is a given. She tried to give me a contemporary take of the historical regency era story and the titles of her books are the first indication of her attempt. You know, something like what Kieran Kramer is doing with great success, I might add. Alas, but Ms. Barnes is in my opinion, not even close to achieving her goal.

That said, I must say that the writing has potential, but the people around her [read EDITORS] ....I'd love it and greatly appriciate if you'd stop by my blog at b2b and finish reading the rest of my review....

Melanie for b2b

*Book provided by AVON through EDELWEISS. ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
I won this book on a goodreads giveaway, a delightful surprise to be sure! The story description appealed to me - a lady of the 1800's, high-society and beautiful, yet more interested and capable in activities typically accomplished by men. Dueling? Questing after rescue missions? Strutting about in breeches, and in public? How awfully unladylike! Yet, Alexandra proves herself unargualby one of the best in the field. Then, on assignement, she meets her match, a male companion named Michael Asford, Earl of Trenton. Attracted to him unlike any other man before, she struggles with whether to succumb to these potent feelings or smother them as best she can and run the other way.

The romance itself was fun and dominated the story, mixed with a little bit of English spy adventure. I found the banter between Alexandra and Michael clever and frequently witty. It was amusing how her brothers carefully pushed her toward marriage and a more typical female position in life.

There are explicit sex scenes in the book, not what I prefer to read in my romances. Perhaps it should've been expected, but I'm so use to YA romance novels. I personally appreciate a little more left to the imagination. But if steamy and sultry is what you're after, this book will not disappoint in that regard!

REGoodrich | Aug 10, 2016 |
Adventure. Romance. Intrigue. And stubborn heroines and their men. I love these kind of stories on a rainy day. Sophia Barnes did not disappointment in her book, Lady Alexandra’s Excellent Adventure.

Napoleon is back from Elba and relations between France and the rest of Europe is tenuous. England does not hesitate to send in spies. But what happens when a report comes that one of them is a double agent? You send in another agent with the brothers of the suspect to bring him back. Sounds like a plot for trouble. It is especially when one of the brothers is actually a sister in disguise. Fireworks light up the French landscape as the spy and the sister alternate between going for the jugular and going for the lips.

The storyline is not altogether unique, but it is delightful. The characters are what make this story different and such an enjoyment. I do wish more of the intrigue could have been brought out, but the author focused more on the romance which was still fun to read.

If you like historical romances that are light reads for a trip or a day at the beach or even a day curled up on the couch, you have to give Lady Alexandra’s Excellent Adventure a try. You won’t regret it and might yourself looking for more from Sophia Barnes.

Note: This book was supplied by the publisher without expectation of a positive review. ( )
  RebeccaGraf | Aug 22, 2012 |

It's going to be a wild ride

Michael Ashford, Earl of Trenton, is a man of duty. Honorable, charming, and a hit with the ladies, he's never had trouble staying focused—until now. Lady Alexandra is like no other woman he's ever met, and suddenly the prospect of marriage seems far more appealing. Now, to convince Alexandra that a life together could be an adventure like no other….

"Lady Alexandra Summersby is not your average society miss. Not only is she more likely to climb a tree than she is to wear a dress, but she has also sworn off marriage. Alex loves taking chances, which is how she finds herself embroiled in a secret mission as she races across the country with the Earl of Trenton. But Alexandra is about to discover that the real danger lies not in duels, but in her completely unexpected reaction to Lord Trenton's company. Michael Ashford, Earl of Trenton, is a man of duty. Honorable, charming, and a hit with the ladies, he's never had trouble staying focused--until now. Lady Alexandra is like no other woman he's ever met, and suddenly the prospect of marriage seems far more appealing. Now, to convince Alexandra that a life together could be an adventure like no other"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible