Her Sudden Groom by Rose Gordon

Her Sudden Groom

by Rose Gordon

I got this as part of a collection of Regencies. I hoped to find new authors to read. Sadly, I didn't really enjoy the book for far too many reasons and won't be adding any of its sequels.

I actually liked the two main characters, but the author suddenly had these two scientifically minded people make drastic assumptions that made no sense. I didn't find it believable.

Lady Olivia is nearly a caricature of meanness, rudeness, and bad temper without one redeeming characteristic. I found it distasteful that the author added in overweight as though that made her sins complete.

There were far too many coincidences to have a chance of me suspending disbelief. The attitudes of the characters seemed to be modern in tone, jarring me out of the period.

Had the book ended with the wedding, making it a short novella, I think I would have liked it more.

Do be aware there's a pretty good amount of thoroughly described sex.

Who would like this book? Someone who likes historical romances and doesn't mind the types of problems I mentioned. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jul 23, 2017 |
I was displeased with the references to sexual organs in the book and I felt that it was very distasteful. While the main plot of the book was fine and the characters supported each other well enough, I rated it two stars due to my discomfort with the sexual terms. This will tell me to think twice before picking up another Rose Gordon novel! ( )
  caslater83 | Nov 12, 2016 |
3.5 out of 5 stars, it was a cute story and I liked the plot but I wish it held my attention more then it did. ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
I haven't picked up a regency historical romance in quite a while. This one was free over at Amazon, and I was in the mood for something different. I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I have bought the Scandalous Sisters series by the same author. I'm looking forward to reading them. ( )
  pfodge | Sep 15, 2015 |
This certainly isnt your traditional Regency romance - whilst there are plenty of Lords, Ladies and Barons (at least in title), in act they are not what you would expect! Some of the people in here use words and talk about concepts that you wouldnt expect Regency people - especially women - to be aware of, so if you prefer your romances to be more traditional, this isnt the book for you.

Olivia is an absolute fright and thankfully doesnt make too many actual appearances during the story, although some of her actions do. Marcus is her brother and rather a recluse after an accident several years previously had left him badly scarred and with a permanent limp.

"Arid" Alex Banks is not the traditional romance hero - he is scientific minded, hasnt made too many romantic conquests, wears glasses and sometimes struggles with banter. Alex's has an extensive family, none of whom could be classed as "traditional" and many of whom could be classed as having skeletons in the closet - such as pre-marital sex, seductions, and babies that arrive "premature" not long after a wedding. Caroline is well aware of the nature of her past, who her parents are, and what it can mean to her having a decent future in the marriage stakes. She grew up as an only child, who from 7 years old was brought up by her uncle whilst living with the her cousin, the horrendous Olivia. Alex's family do have reasonable relationships, which gives Caroline a glimpse into how other families can do it.

Alex and Caroline are well rounded characters, some of the secondary characters are decent and are likely to be the source of future books (there's at least 2 potential grooms in this book!). Alex's social awkwardness and lack of experience with women, and Caroline's insecurities and lack of a knowledge in the finer points of life (she knows of the birds and the bees but not how that translates into the marriage bedroom) means there are plenty of opportunities for misunderstandings and the big confrontation near the end.

So in summary: a Regency romance that is more romance than Regency, with some moderately spicy sex scenes, and a non-Regency take on things
  nordie | Oct 2, 2014 |

The overly scientific, always respectable, and socially awkward Alexander Banks has just been informed his name resides on a betrothal agreement right above the name of the worst chit in all of England. With a loophole that allows him to marry another without consequence before the thirtieth anniversary of his birth, he has only four weeks to find another woman and make her his wife. Being the logical scientist he is, Alex decides to take his friend's advice and treat his quest for a bride just like a science experiment...

Caroline Sinclair is still trying to scrape her jaw off the floor after hearing her cousin, Lady Olivia’s, latest announcement when the object of their conversation, Alex Banks, Olivia’s intended, arrives for what Caroline assumes is a bout of drawing room chitchat with his betrothed. But when an experiment is mentioned, Caroline, who cannot resist a science experiment any more than she can deny her lungs air, volunteers to help before she even knows what his latest experiment is!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,988,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible