Devil Said Bang by Richard Kadrey

Devil Said Bang (edition 2014)

by Richard Kadrey (Author)

Member:kencyrath
Title:Devil Said Bang
Authors:Richard Kadrey (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (2014), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages

Devil Said Bang by Richard Kadrey

I picked up Devil Said Bang because of the concept of the character and the amazing blurbs by well-known authors. Unfortunately, the novel fell well short of my lofty expectations. Sandman Slim is the main character and has been made the new Lucifer, in charge of Hell after the last Lucifer no longer wanted the job. Sandman Slim wants nothing to do with the job and is only interested in going back to Los Angeles.

For me, this novel was all style and little substance. It felt like the high school kid with the hot rod car trying to impress everybody. For starters, the narration was over the top. I didn’t care for the first person, present tense point of view, which is all of the rage these days, but makes no sense from a story telling standpoint. You don’t tell a story as it happens. You tell it after it happens. The novel felt very repetitive. After about the eighth time, I lost track of all the assassination attempts on the main character. It was one after another after another and became dull after a while. There were way too many characters to keep track of, and the characters had little meaning because it seemed as if there was a constant flow of new characters in every scene. The novel felt disjointed since the first half of it took place in Hell and had little to do with what would come later. It should have been two separate novels. There wasn’t much that I liked about it. I would recommend skipping this one and reading Tim Marquitz Demon Squad series, which is similar in theme but far superior in quality.

Carl Alves - author of Battle of the Soul ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jan 20, 2019 |
This one started really slow, but ended...

... (dare I say it?)...

...with a bang!

ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
I love this series. I love these characters. I will probably read all the books ever written about James Stark.

They are light reading.

Continuing with food metaphors, these are a tomato sandwich in the summer time. Absolutely delicious at the moment. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
Stark is the new Lucifer, except he’s not very good at it. After several brutal power plays, he takes a vacation topside in order to visit his girlfriend, and gets sucked into some other troubles, like the ghost of a little girl who’s killing the Dreamers who preserve the world’s coherence. ( )
  rivkat | Feb 21, 2017 |
I’ve been taken with Sandman Slim from the very beginning. Not only is he a mostly unrepentant badass who embraces that part of him. He uses it to try to make life better for those he loves, and the world in general, although were the world to be aware of Slim, they wouldn’t thank him for his efforts.

At the end of Devil Said Bang, Slim is the only person to have escaped Hell twice. This is quite an accomplishment, given that no one is supposed to escape ever, especially if you’re a gladiator expected to fight to the death the first time you’re there.

Kadrey shakes the notions of Heaven and Hell, God and Satan, around a lot in his Sandman Slim books. His notions match mine that all is not so cut and dried as Christians would have us believe, there’s a lot of grey area. And to shake that notion even more, it’s revealed in the first book, Sandman Slim, that Slim, aka Stark, is a nephilim. This part angel, part human thing makes just about every supernatural being mad. To say Slim’s home life was screwed up wouldn’t even begin to cover it.

It is also the conjunction of many celestial mythologies which make the Sandman Slim books so interesting. Along with other supernatural beings you might not expect to mix with creation and destruction myths.

Devil Said Bang suffers from mid-series dementia. Something often found in other series by other authors. There’s just something about the fourth or so book in which is messy. Kevin Hearne’s fifth book in the Iron Druid series, Trapped, suffered from this.

And I will say the same thing about Devil Said Bang as I did about Trapped, there’s too much information being thrown at us. Too many characters and too many machinations. I couldn’t keep up.

With that out of the way, what I like about this book was the continued battle Slim has with himself. He knows that maybe he could do better, but there are times when he just wants to break stuff. It’s what he knows best.

There are always interesting characters with “interesting” hobbies, which turn out to be some sort of key to the plot. In Devil Said Bang, it’s Teddy Osterberg and his collection of cemeteries. Yes, collection.

For generations, Teddy’s family has been moving cemeteries from their original plot of land to the family land outside Los Angeles. There’s a lot of detail about the supernatural aspects of the cemeteries, but it comes down to Osterberg as caretaker of the more “special” cemeteries. It is from this the scary little girl with the curved knife, who is running around killing people, comes.

Did I mention Sandman Slim is dark?

Not only am I fascinated by the mythology Kadrey uses, the machinations and politicking also fascinate me. How do people think like that? How do they know how to find that piece of information which will allow them to manipulate others? How do they think three, four, five steps ahead of the others? Reading Slim play off the others who think they have one up on him in Hell is fascinating. As are all the new and inventive tools used to kill the nasties for whom a shotgun isn’t enough.

Richard Kadrey’s books are not for the squeamish, or for those who hold their mythology dear. I find them very entertaining, if sometimes gross, and I always learn something new about mythology; especially Christian mythology. Kadrey sends me scurrying into the stacks to look up information, and gives me things to think on deeply which allows me space to reframe what I think I already know. ( )
  AuntieClio | Mar 7, 2016 |

Richard Kadreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andrews, MacLeodNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

What do you do after you’ve escaped Hell, gone back, uncovered the true nature of God, and then managed to become the new Lucifer?

Well, if you’re James Stark, you have to figure out how to run Hell while also trying to get back out of it... again. Plus there’s the small matter of surviving. Because everyone in Heaven, Hell, and in between wants to be the fastest gun in the universe, and the best way to do so is to take down Lucifer, a.k.a. James Stark.

And it’s not like being in L.A. is any better — a serial-killer ghost is running wild and Stark’s angelic alter ego is hiding among the lost days of time with a secret cabal who can rewrite reality. Starting to care for people and life again is a real bitch for a stone-cold killer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062094572, Hardcover)

Getting out of hell is just the beginning

Well, if you're James Stark, you have to figure out how to run Hell while also trying to get back out of it . . . again. Plus there's the small matter of surviving. Because everyone in Heaven, Hell, and in between wants to be the fastest gun in the universe, and the best way to do so is to take down Lucifer, a.k.a. James Stark.

And it's not like being in L.A. is any better—a serial-killer ghost is running wild and Stark's angelic alter ego is hiding among the lost days of time with a secret cabal who can rewrite reality. Starting to care for people and life again is a real bitch for a stone-cold killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:33 -0400)

"What do you do after you've escaped Hell, gone back, uncovered the true nature of God, and then managed to become the new Lucifer? Well, if you're James Stark, you have to figure out how to run Hell while also trying to get back out of it...again. Plus there's the small matter of surviving. Because everyone in Heaven, Hell, and in between wants to be the fastest gun in the universe, and the best way to do so is to take down Lucifer, a.k.a. James Stark. And it's not like being in L.A. is any better-a serial-killer ghost is running wild and Stark's angelic alter ego is hiding among the lost days of time with a secret cabal who can rewrite reality. Starting to care for people and life again is a real bitch for a stone-cold killer."--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,762,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible