The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About…

The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams &… (1997)

by Robin Sharma

Recently added bymoricheshouse50, schlau, PauloBR, Puntipa, cottageusedbooks, calyptis, Sergio88, private library

English (29)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (34)
The monk who was nothing but a thinly-veiled excuse to regurgitate all the usual self-help claptrap under the pretext of ancient wisdom, wasn't really a monk and didn't own a Ferrari. ( )
  graffiti.living | Oct 22, 2017 |
Yet another book my high school forced me to read and yet I couldn't finish it. Another one of those self-help books that is thinly disguised as a novel. I read the first chapter and I wanted to blow my brains out. There is a thin line between preachy and helpful, this one crossed over to preachy and unreadable.

It's easier (and much more tolerable) to just read the summaries at the end of each chapter.
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
It was so boring, and the writing so rote, that I just couldn't finish it. If I had to describe this book in one sentence: lots of tell, not nearly enough show!

I liked the ideas and the message he was trying to present, but the writing and bad dialogue/characterization was just too much. ( )
  meowism | May 17, 2016 |
I felt this book has some good lessons to learn and some good exercises to practice, but I think it was poorly written. The writing was at times frustrating, boring, and often repetitious. I learned from it and learning is evolving!! ( )
  yahscott | Mar 7, 2016 |
I truly like the Bhagavad Gita style of writing. A narrative where a master is revealing the truth of living a full life to an eager student. I suspect that he is attempting to distill the wisdom of the Ancient Indian Religious texts by placing them in contemporary settings.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062515675, Paperback)

Everyone loves a good fable, and this is certainly one. The protagonist is Julian Mantle, a high-profile attorney with a whacked-out schedule and a shameful set of spiritual priorities. Of course it takes a crisis (heart attack) to give Mantle pause. And pause he does--suddenly selling all his beloved possessions to trek India in pursuit of a meaningful existence. The Himalayan gurus along the way give simple advice, such as, "What lies behind you and what lies before you is nothing compared to what lies within you." Yet it is easy to forgive the story's simplicity because each kernel of wisdom is framed to address the persistent angst of Western white-collar professionals. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:30 -0400)

This fable provides a step-by-step approach to living with greater courage, balance, abundance, and joy. It tells the story of Julian Mantle, a lawyer forced to confront the spiritual crisis of his out-of-balance life. On a life-changing odyssey to an ancient culture, he discovers powerful, wise, and practical lessons that teach us to develop joyful thoughts, follow our life's mission and calling, cultivate self-discipline and act courageously, value time as our most important commodity, nourish our relationships, and live fully, one day at a time.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,574,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible