The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About…

The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams &… (1997)

by Robin Sharma

1,220236,532 (3.37)9
Recently added bySusanLong, LutfiSezer, private library, Olive009, fmcdonald1044

English (21)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (23)
1.5 star actually. A bit more than "didn't like it", but still not good enough for "I liked it", so I'll just leave it at 1.5. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I didn't like it. It is typical of a westerner who got "surprised" by the eastern values. Too much of a drama, IMHO. ( )
  parvita | Aug 12, 2013 |
  Morana.Mora | Mar 30, 2013 |
I read two books for my Black Belt Test: Mindfulness in Plain English, by Bhante Gunaratana and The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, a Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny by Robin S. Sharma. I will be reviewing the latter book.

This book tells the tale of Julian Mantle, a lawyer whose life was unfulfilled and out of balance. He suffers a heart attack, a wake-up call, and abandons his life in search of meaning. He travels far and ultimately winds up studying with the Great Sages of Sivana. After learning many lessons, he returns to the United States to share his newfound wisdom with his former legal associate, John. The practical lessons within this jewel of a book teach us to:

• “Develop Joyful Thoughts
• Follow Our Life’s Mission and Calling
• Cultivate Self-Discipline and Act Courageously
• Value Time As Our Most Important Commodity
• Nourish Our Relationships, and
• Live Fully, One Day At A Time.”

Although the writing can be somewhat forced at times, the pearls of wisdom far outweigh any stylistic flaws. The structure of the book is an all-night conversation between Julian and John. Julian relates a story, which goes something like this:

You are sitting in a magnificent, lush, green garden. It is tranquil and silent. In the midst of this beauty you notice a tall towering lighthouse. From a door at the base, out stumbles a nine-foot-tall nine-hundred-pound Japanese sumo wrestler. He is clothed in pink wire cable. He finds a shiny gold stopwatch, but slips on it and falls, knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he is greeted by the fragrance of roses. He goes to the bushes and then sees a long winding path covered by millions of diamonds. Something tells him to take this path.

Each of these elements in the story represents a lesson to be learned. For example, the lush garden represents the mind. Just as we would yank out any weeds growing in our garden, so we must guard against them in our mind. The weeds of the mind are negative thoughts. They stand in the way of our true potential and happiness. The lighthouse represents your purpose in life. It must be tall and bright for you to see it, for you cannot hit a target you cannot see. The sumo wrestler represents self-mastery or Kaizen and the wire he wears stands for self-discipline. The clock he trips upon reminds us not to waste time, for it is precious. The roses remind us to selflessly serve others and the diamonds on the path symbolize the jewel of living in the present.

At the end of each lesson, Sharma has included a summary page sharing the symbol, the virtue learned, the wisdom behind it, the techniques to use and a quotable quote. For me, the first lesson about the garden was particularly significant and provided immediate confirmation that the lessons within this book are important and true. I had been having difficulty remembering the sequence of some of the Taeguk forms and I realized while reading this book that I had a negative voice in my head telling me that I couldn’t learn them. Within a day of silencing this nasty voice and replacing it with the positive twin “could,” I was able to master my forms. There were immediate benefits and lessons from each of the symbols, but obviously they are lessons that must be learned and practiced continually in order to see changes in my life. In fact, the book states that any desired change must be practiced for 21 consecutive days before the new thought/attitude/behavior will stick.

While reading this book, I dog-eared many pages and highlighted lots of passages. I am quite sure I will be reread this book many times. Below I have shared just a few of my favorite words of wisdom from The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari. (I could go on for pages!)

• Never regret your past. Rather, embrace it as the teacher that it is. *
• There are no mistakes in life, only lessons.
• Begin to live out the glory of your imagination, not your memory.
• The price of greatness is responsibility over each of your thoughts. –Churchill
• Stillness is the stepping stone to connecting with the universal source of intelligence that throbs through every living thing.
• Everything is created twice, first in the mind and then in reality.
• Imagination is more important than knowledge. –Einstein
• The only limits on your life are those you set yourself. –Yogi Raman
• Failure is not having the courage to try.

And most interestingly:

• The Chinese character for “crisis” is comprised of two sub-characters: one that spells “danger” and another that spells “opportunity”…the ancient Chinese knew that there is a bright side to the darkest circumstances—if you have the courage to look for it.

Obviously, I highly recommend this book! It will bless your life.

* If no author is listed, the quote is attributed to Julian. ( )
  Berly | Oct 22, 2012 |
Sugerente historia de Juan Mantle, un superabogado cuya vida estresante, desequilibrada y obsesionada con el dinero acaba provocándole un Infarto. Esto provoca una crisis espiritual y emprende un extraordinario viaje por el Himalaya para conocer una anqiquisima cultura de hombre sabios. Alli descubre un modo de vida mas gozoso, asi como un método para liberar todo su potencial y vivir con pasión, determinación y paz. Muestra paso a paso como vivir con más coraje, Alegria, equilibrio y satisfacción. ( )
  joanra21 | Oct 20, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062515675, Paperback)

Everyone loves a good fable, and this is certainly one. The protagonist is Julian Mantle, a high-profile attorney with a whacked-out schedule and a shameful set of spiritual priorities. Of course it takes a crisis (heart attack) to give Mantle pause. And pause he does--suddenly selling all his beloved possessions to trek India in pursuit of a meaningful existence. The Himalayan gurus along the way give simple advice, such as, "What lies behind you and what lies before you is nothing compared to what lies within you." Yet it is easy to forgive the story's simplicity because each kernel of wisdom is framed to address the persistent angst of Western white-collar professionals. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:38 -0400)

"Everyone loves a good fable, and this is certainly one. The protagonist is Julian Mantle, a high-profile attorney with a whacked-out schedule and a shameful set of spiritual priorities. Of course it takes a crisis (heart attack) to give Mantle pause. And pause he does - suddenly selling all his beloved possessions to trek India in pursuit of a meaningful existence. The Himalayan gurus along the way give simple advice, such as "What lies behind you and what lies before you is nothing compared to what lies within you." Yet it is easy to forgive the story's simplicity because each kernel of wisdom is framed to address the persistent angst of Western white-collar professionals" -- www.amazon.com… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,981,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible