The Dogs of Winter by Bobbie Pyron

The Dogs of Winter

by Bobbie Pyron

With his loving mother gone and her boyfriend the suspected murderer, 5-year-old Ivan Mishukov is homeless and living on the streets of Moscow with many other “invisible” homeless children. He learns to survive, even in the bitterly cold Russian winters, by begging and living and running with homeless dogs who become his family. Based on a true story, this chapter book will grip you from beginning to end.
Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog. ( )
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Heart-breaking, gut-wrenching, fascinating story based upon a true story. I highly recommend it! Also check out the author's blog on her website. Bobbie Pyron is becoming my new favorite author of dog stories. ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |
An amazing story, moving and poignant, packed with action and emotion. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Stories are meant to entertain. They sometimes teach a message. They give you insight. Many times, they do all three. Bobbie Pyron does all that and more in The Dogs of Winter.

This is the story of a five year old Russian boy whose life is turned upside down when his mother brings in a new man who is abusive. Not long, he is taken to the big city and abandoned. What saves him is his determination and a pack of dogs that becomes his friends. They will survive each season and the cruelty of humans.

This is a children's book of about ages 8 and up, but adults would enjoy it, too. I found the story to be captivating. The pace is slower than most adult books, but there is nothing in it that shouldn't be.

I'm going to deviate a little from my typical review style because this book needs special attention. Yes, the story is well done. Yes, the characters are extremely captivating. The dogs had more personality than most humans which I really did enjoy. But I want to focus on the message of the book.

I was drawn into this story through the soul of the dogs and those of the humans. To me, this book shows a lot about human nature. It is not just limited to cities or to Russia. They can be found all over the place. There were some kind people, but most humans proved to be deceitful or with their own agendas. I found that to be quite fascinating as most people do. Even the ones that meant no harm to the boy acted like those that did. I think the most innocent were the ones who just fed him without doing anything else. Those simple acts had more goodness in them than anything.

And the dogs.....Their love for the dog was amazing and so accurate. Dogs do love more loyally than humans. They are honest and caring. I wanted to be part of the pack. I wanted to feel how that little boy felt when those dogs loved him.

This is more than a simple story. It is a look into the soul. Great book for all ages. Adults, I encourage you to read it.

Note: This book was given as part of a tour with no expectation of a positive review. ( )
  RebeccaGraf | Feb 14, 2013 |

Bobbie Pyronprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A small boy, a cruel city, and the incredible dogs who save him.

Based on a true story!

When Ivan's mother disappears, he's abandoned on the streets of Moscow, with little chance to make it through the harsh winter. But help comes in an unexpected form: Ivan is adopted by a pack of dogs, and the dogs quickly become more than just his street companions: They become his family. Soon Ivan, who used to love reading fairytales, is practically living in one, as he and his pack roam the city and countryside, using their wits to find food and shelter, dodging danger, begging for coins. But Ivan can’t stay hidden from the world of people forever. When help is finally offered to him, will he be able to accept it? Will he even want to?

A heart-pounding tale of survival and a moving look at what makes us human.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:16 -0400)

Brought to Moscow in 1990s Russia by his mother's abusive boyfriend, five-year-old Mishka is forced by a gang of homeless children to lie and steal until he finds comfort and love with a pack of dogs. Includes historical note.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible