The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey by Demi

The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey (edition 2004)

by Demi, Demi (Illustrator)

Title:The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey
Other authors:Demi (Illustrator)
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2004), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:fiction, @read, 2012, Turkey, folktale, acceptance, diversity, appearances, @own, childrens book, picture book

The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey by Demi

The Hungry Coat is a folk tale from Turkey. This is a folk tale about a man named Nasrettin Hoca. He wore a huge white turban, and a worn-out coat. He liked to help whomever he could, whenever he could. One day Nasrettin's rich friend invited him over for a banquet. On his way to the banquet, there was a great commotion going on in hostel for travelers. Nasrettin looked in the hostel and a goat was running loose all around the hostel. Nasrettin cut up an apple into small pieces and set the pieces in a row so that he could catch the goat. The owner invited Nasrettin over to eat, because he helped him. However, Nasrettin declined the offer and went on to his wealthy friend's home for the banquet. Nasretti was running late and did not have time to change his clothes, so he smelled of goat. When he arrived to the banquet his rich friend was worried that his other rich friends would make fun of Nasretti. When Nasretti walked in none of the other guest talked to him or served him food. He tried to make conversation with the other guest, but they did not respond to him. So Nasretti left the banquet took a bath and changed into a beautiful new turban. He went back to the banquet and he was the center of attention. Then, Nasretti began to feed his coat with all sorts of foods. Then, one of the guest asked why he was feeding his coat and he responded, "When I first arrived in my old coat made of patches upon patches, there was no food for me. Yet when I came back in this new coat, there was every kind of food for me. This shows it was the coat- and not me-that you invited to your banquet!" So Nasretti tells everyone at the banquet that if you want to look deeply it is about the man and not his coat. I really enjoyed his folk tale and I would love to do a read-aloud on it. I also love Demi's illustrations. ( )
  Sleco | Nov 18, 2015 |
Add, picture book
  Lynchd | Jul 20, 2015 |
Special features: Author, Demi, lives in Carnation, WA, possibly making her accessible for author visits in the state. She is also listed as a notable biographer in a children's lit. textbook. This book is appropriate for secondary as it could be used in an English, World Geography or World History class.
  Jquimbey | Jul 11, 2015 |
Read for Library Explore Assignment. ( )
  SaritaInce | Jan 16, 2015 |
I loved the Turkey tale, “The Hungry Coat.” The big idea of this tale is to tell readers that the importance of a person is their heart, not their material possessions. What I appreciated most from this story is the witty decision and wise conclusion of the main character. The character development of the main character shares an important message with readers as well. The main characters friends shun him from a party because his coat and outer appearance is dirty and foul-smelling from helping villagers catch a goat. However, the main character goes back home to wash himself and buy the finest red, gold hemmed coat. The witty writing of the Turkey Tale then has the main character feeling his coat the finest food from the party and has the other party members confused. “At last, the alarmed host said, “Tell me, my old friend, why are you feeding your coat?” The author writes intelligently, “When I first arrived in my old coat...there was no food for me. Yet when I came back in this new coat, there was every kind of food for me. This shows it was the coat – and not me – that you invited to your banquet!” I also appreciated how the author clearly states the message of the story near the end. This directly gives the important message to young readers who can not figure out the theme of the book. ( )
  yyoon4 | Oct 30, 2014 |

Once upon a time in Turkey there lived a funny, little wise man named Nasrettin Hoca. He wore a huge, white turban and a worn-out coat made of patches upon patches. Riding about on his little gray donkey, he liked to help whomever he could.

A friend to all, Nasrettin is a popular figure. But when he is suddenly ignored at a friend's banquet, he realizes it is his patchwork coat that is turning people away from him. He leaves the party and returns later, wearing a brand-new coat. Now Nasrettin is warmly welcomed. But instead of eating the delicious foods placed before him, he feeds them to his coat!

How Nasrettin Hoca teaches his friends a lesson about appearances is the heart of this hilarious and clever story. With good humor and luminous illustrations inspired by traditional Turkish paintings, Demi brings to life Turkey's most famous folk hero and imparts a timeless tale with a moral that will resonate with readers everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:20 -0400)

After being forced to change to a fancy new coat to attend a party, Nasrettin Hoca tries to feed his dinner to the coat, reasoning that it was the coat that was the invited guest.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible