The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey by Demi

The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey (edition 2004)

by Demi, Demi (Illustrator)

Member:yvaine
Title:The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey
Authors:Demi
Other authors:Demi (Illustrator)
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2004), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:fiction, @read, 2012, Turkey, folktale, acceptance, diversity, appearances, @own, childrens book, picture book

The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey by Demi

I loved the Turkey tale, “The Hungry Coat.” The big idea of this tale is to tell readers that the importance of a person is their heart, not their material possessions. What I appreciated most from this story is the witty decision and wise conclusion of the main character. The character development of the main character shares an important message with readers as well. The main characters friends shun him from a party because his coat and outer appearance is dirty and foul-smelling from helping villagers catch a goat. However, the main character goes back home to wash himself and buy the finest red, gold hemmed coat. The witty writing of the Turkey Tale then has the main character feeling his coat the finest food from the party and has the other party members confused. “At last, the alarmed host said, “Tell me, my old friend, why are you feeding your coat?” The author writes intelligently, “When I first arrived in my old coat...there was no food for me. Yet when I came back in this new coat, there was every kind of food for me. This shows it was the coat – and not me – that you invited to your banquet!” I also appreciated how the author clearly states the message of the story near the end. This directly gives the important message to young readers who can not figure out the theme of the book. ( )
  yyoon4 | Oct 30, 2014 |
The Hungry Coat focuses on main character, Nasrettin, and his experiences. Nasrettin is a popular figure in his community; when he is invited to a banquet, he is ignored because of his clothing. The Hungry Coat shows the cruel treatment some individuals endure, in an entertaining approach. I have always been a strong believer of equality, this story reveals the negative effects when equality is not promoted. The story allows the audience to see judging a person based solely off their appearance can be deceiving. Nasrettin was popular figure, until seen wearing a wore-out coat. The individuals ignoring Nasrettin were missing out on meeting an extraordinary person. In the words of Nasrettin, “Appearance is about the heart”. This is a magnificent moral to teach any child the importance of not judging a book by its cover. ( )
  nfigue1 | Oct 6, 2014 |
Demi's illustrations are beautifully detailed and vibrant. The story has a good lesson. Don,t judge people by their appearance. ( )
  mosbor | Sep 12, 2014 |
Nasrettin Hoca wears an old coat and likes to help people. He goes to a dinner party smelling like a stinky goat and no one will talk to him. He decides to go home, bathe, and change into his best clothes. When he returns to the party he begins to feed his coat because everyone only cared about it coat, and not him as a person. The ending quote in this story is "He who wears heaven in his heart is always well dressed".
  Colbi | Mar 16, 2014 |
This book was not as great as I expected. It told a tale of a man named Nasrettin Hoca and his goat. It was an okay book, wouldn't read it to children. ( )
  TBegum1 | Nov 30, 2013 |

Once upon a time in Turkey there lived a funny, little wise man named Nasrettin Hoca. He wore a huge, white turban and a worn-out coat made of patches upon patches. Riding about on his little gray donkey, he liked to help whomever he could.

A friend to all, Nasrettin is a popular figure. But when he is suddenly ignored at a friend's banquet, he realizes it is his patchwork coat that is turning people away from him. He leaves the party and returns later, wearing a brand-new coat. Now Nasrettin is warmly welcomed. But instead of eating the delicious foods placed before him, he feeds them to his coat!

How Nasrettin Hoca teaches his friends a lesson about appearances is the heart of this hilarious and clever story. With good humor and luminous illustrations inspired by traditional Turkish paintings, Demi brings to life Turkey's most famous folk hero and imparts a timeless tale with a moral that will resonate with readers everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:44 -0400)

After being forced to change to a fancy new coat to attend a party, Nasrettin Hoca tries to feed his dinner to the coat, reasoning that it was the coat that was the invited guest.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,000,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible