Flaming Harry Sweeney by Rob MacCavett

Flaming Harry Sweeney

by Rob MacCavett

431,664,912 (4)None
Recently added bydestinyisntfree, nerdzy, shayrp76

Flaming Harry Sweeney. The title in and of itself is attention grabbing.

I won a copy of this book via a giveaway on Goodreads. It was at a time when I was a fledgling reviewer trying to acquire material for reviews, and to be honest, I had all but forgotten about it until the other day when my e-reader battery was dead and I had to resort the box of paper books collecting dust in my corner.

When I first started reading, I was kind of concerned that I would not be able to finish the read. Let's face it. The 1940s are a whole other universe to me, having been born nearly 40 years later. But once I got rolling in the story, my entire view of things changed.

Lately, I have been quite drawn to the paranormal, so to find myself enjoying this particular novel was a pleasant surprise. Flaming Harry Sweeney combines history and satire to draw in a variety of readers, young and old, and paint a picture of a time that had been or could have been.

Harry reminds me of the uncle that you don't tell anyone you have and, once they find out about him, you just say "Oh, well, he is a little odd."

Kitty kind of reminded me of myself. Kitty grew up with little to nothing and made a name for herself. From the carnie girl to the big time. She really is the embodiment of what we all hope to accomplish in our lives. We all want to make a name for ourselves, to have some kind of a legacy to leave behind.

I found myself laughing out loud in several parts when Harry's exploits played out in the pages, and almost crying during the wedding scene!

I do not often hand out a 5 star rating, but I truly feel that in this case, it is well deserved. To draw in a youngster like me and make history interesting, to make me laugh to the point of near tears, and to render me incapable of putting the book down is a true feat in and of itself.

Mr. MacCavvett possesses a true talent and is one to be watched. I have a feeling there will be many more great stories to come from this truly gifted storyteller. If you have the time and the spare change available, I implore everyone who needs a reason to smile to pick up this book and give it a read. You will truly not be sorry. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Flaming Harry Sweeney. The title in and of itself is attention grabbing.

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Kitty Kagen introduces us to Harry Sweeney while telling the story of how she became involved in his amazing story. After spending so much time in the carnival world she finds that, although Harry Sweeney’s world isn’t all that different, she is finally moving up in the world. Flaming Harry Sweeney is a fan of the Chicago Cubs, Big Bands, television and Ladies Professional Bowling, so obviously he tries to get his hands into all of it by several misdeeds, bad investments, and questionable relationships. Kitty is along for the ride and even though Harry may not be the most likable man his loyalty is what sets him apart in the end.
I liked the dry, ironic humor and the fact that it was kept up throughout. The characters were very likable and when I thought I got a handle on what they were about there would be something new to learn. All of the plots Flaming Harry would come up with were fantastic and kept me giggling. He reminded me of one of those uncles who have the next big thing that will make them rich and famous. I would say the only real negative for me was pacing. It read slowly in the beginning, and picked up near the middle. Overall I am glad I read it and I know a lot of Cubs fans out there who will be thrilled with it. ( )
  shayrp76 | May 28, 2012 |

Flaming Harry Sweeney chronicles the capers and misadventures of hard drinking, cigar smoking, womanizing pyromaniac and Cubs fan Harry Sweeney, as seen through the watchful eyes of the story's young heroine, Kitty Kagan. Kitty and her father figure, Max Schluter, stumble upon Harry at a desperate time in their lives and by necessity latch onto his flamboyant coattails-even as Harry himself, despite Kitty's and Max's best guiding efforts, seems ready to crash at every turn. The story's events especially focus on Flaming Harry's post-World War II whacky brainchild, the Ladies Professional Bowling League, with an unexpected detour into the mysteries of why the Chicago Cubs are lovable losers. Famous and infamous figures crowd this comedic farce, giving it an over-the-top, carnival atmosphere with lessons learned along the way. Flaming Harry Sweeney spans the fascinating Big Band era, fledgling television, growing popularity of bowling, emerging women's rights, the world of sideshows, sainthood, and includes a knuckle-rapping nun, reformed Nazi on the run, communist screen writer, carnival worker seeking respectability, a concert pianist, professional wrestler, criminally insane genius brothers, and a chewing gum mogul-to name but a few characters disgracing these pages!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,144,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible