Lord of Mountains by S. M. Stirling

Lord of Mountains

by S. M. Stirling

1941060,720 (3.6)7

I wait all year for the next story in the series and, as always, I'm never disappointed. Of course, it always leaves me wanting the next one tough. I read this book in a day (just over 24 hours to be exact) and I found it delightful.
  danojacks | Jan 5, 2017 |
This is a spacer book. It gets us through the big battle and Rudi and Matti crowned but this isn't the end of the series. What I think happened is that the previous book Tears of the Sun ran long, was playing catch-up and then ran too long so it was made into two books. Just not an even break between the two. I'm going to guess that there is at least two more books, or one really long one. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
This is one of 2 long series I've been reading sporadically for years now, and with each I wonder why I continue as I read the next book. (The other one is Weber's "Safehaven" series.)

It's not that they're bad books, although both have depths of minutia that frustrate me- in this series it's the detailed military manuvers described thoroughly but without a map of the battlefield. I find such hard to follow, even with good maps; without such, I am utterly lost and any cleverness of strategy and implementation is lost on me. This makes it a boring slog to read.

And this book was mostly that.

There's also somethinglacking in the characters in both series, and it seems to be the same thing in each. Personalities, maybe? apart from Known Quirks, which do not often lead to someone who reads like a real person. For example, ALL the Good Guys seem to agree on pretty much everything, and cheerfully participate in whatever the plot requires, with NO internal scheming, backbiting, ambitions, etc. I really cannot envision a bunch of powerful men and women, many of whom got their positions by scheming and dirty tricks, all of a sudden becoming all noble once they join the Good Guys; leopards tend to stay spotted!

Also, Mathilda just does not work for me. The only daughter of 2 reigning psychopaths, raised mostly in a violent court full of intrigue... and she grows up a Nice Catholic Girl, and that's about the only character she has (even though she is also a fearsome warrior).

This particular volume in the series did not exactly entice me to read more, either, seeing that- apart from the Big Battle that took up most of the pages- nothing much happened- and even the Big Battle did not resolve anything except to delay such resolution.

I'm not quite at the point of taking this series off my Paperback Swap wish list, but I'm getting close. ( )
  cissa | Jan 22, 2016 |
TBD. ( )
  Karlstar | Jul 25, 2014 |
I've enjoyed every book in this series, and this second-to-last installment continued the trend. Stirling's Change series is an adventurous saga based on an underlying premise that continually makes the reader think differently about modern life. In this book, the new king experiences a moment where all past and future converge. There's plenty of espionage and battles leading up to that point. It was a good vacation read. ( )
  jpsnow | Jul 13, 2014 |

S. M. Stirlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lundgren, RayCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jan, forever
"He is coming!" Rudi whispered again. (Prologue)
Rudi had been inclined to think the final ball a waste of time and resources, one of the peacocking Associate habits that he had to put up with for the sake of harmony and which the north-realm nobles insisted upon even on the eave of battle.

"Rudi Mackenize, now Artos the First, High King of Montival, and his allies have won several key battles against the Church Universal and Triumphant. But still the war rages on, taking countless lives, ravaging the land once known as the United States of America. Artos and his Queen, Mathilda, must unite the realms into a single kingdom to ensure a lasting peace. If the leaders of the Changed world are to accept Artos as their ruler, he will need to undertake a quest to the Lake at the Heart of the Mountains, and take part in a crowning ceremony--a ceremony binding him to his people, his ancestors, and his land. Then, once he has secured his place and allegiances, Artos can go forward, and lead his forces to the heart of the enemy's territory..."--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible