Death in the Floating City by Tasha…

Death in the Floating City

by Tasha Alexander

The Gilded Shroud by Elizabeth Bailey (4leschats)
    4leschats: Both works have someone under suspicion for killing a family member with historical and romantic tones.
    A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch (4leschats)
    4leschats: Charles Lennox series, which begins with this title,has similar time/tone

If you enjoy books where a savage beating and rape of a woman is seen by her lover as an opportunity for a tender seduction then you will love this novel. ( )
  Becchanalia | Aug 2, 2017 |
I'm giving this 4 stars but really, it's probably closer to 3.5 but it held my interest in a way few books have recently.

The story takes place in Venice and the author did a fantastic job with setting the scene, but still, for some reason, I was missing something that gave me that sense that I was there. Lady Emily is feeling rather self-important about her role as an investigator in this one too and that rather got on my nerves.

The book used a dual time-line plot between "present" day (Victorian era) and the 1600's, with alternating chapters; I normally detest these and I started reading with a certain amount of hostility about it. By the middle I was reading it with dread but completely immersed in the story and by the end I was looking up at the ceiling blinking rapidly and trying to get the tears to go back where they came from. The Victorian era plot was only just so-so and the big reveal about the murderer relied on hidden knowledge not shared with the reader. It's truly the 17th century story that elevates this book an extra star. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 12, 2016 |

What can I say? I didn't like the characters, I never got to know them, they were pretty flat, and I ended up not caring about the current mystery/murder (so I skipped that)...... I thought this was written in Victorian/Edwardian England, but by the tone of their speech I'd say it was modern times, so that in & of itself was a huge disappointment.

I did like the back story of the ill fated lovers and how it tied in to the paintings & ring, but I didn't like the ending... It was too pat. Besides, if someone has made your life hell all through childhood & up until that person married and moved away..... If they needed your help because their father-in-law was murdered, why would you help them (especially when they continued to snub you while you were helping them)? So that really made me like Lady Emily even less.....

The book told two stories in alternating chapters: the murder of a high born Italian patriarch and ill fated loves from another century. The story of the ill fated lovers was interesting and well written, it held my interest and I read it until the end. The story of the murdered patriarch was boring and I could have cared less.....

I'm sad because I had high hopes for this series...... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I'm not a fan of books that flash back and forth between time periods and this book wasn't an exception. I also think that Lady Emily is loosing her personality. I'm not sure I will read the next one. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
An enjoyable duo of detectives, set in the turn of the century. However, you follow lady Emily more than her husband as she solves crimes, this time in the city of venice. This is the first one of the series that I have read and I look forward to reading more.
  Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
I stood in Venice, on the Bridge of Sighs;
A palace and a prison on each hand:
I saw from out the wave her structures rise
As from the stroke of the enchanter's wand:
A thousand years their cloudy wings expand
Around me, and a dying Glory smiles
O'er the far times, when many a subject land
Look'd to the winged Lion's marble piles,
Where Venice sat in state, thron'd on her hundred isles!

She looks a sea Cybele, fresh from ocean,
Rising with her tiara of proud towers
At airy distance, with majestic motion,
A ruler of the waters and their powers:
And such she was; her daughters had their dowers
From spoils of nations, and the exhaustless East
Pour'd in her lap all gems in sparkling showers.
In purple was she rob'd, and of her feast
Monarchs partook, and deem'd their dignity increase'd.

In Venice Tasso's echoes are no more,
And silent rows the songless gondolier;
Her palaces are crumbling to the shore,
And music meets not always now the ear:
Those days are gone--but Beauty still is here.
States fall, arts fade--but Nature doth not die,
Nor yet forget how Venice once was dear,
The pleasant place of all festivity,
The revel of the earth, the masque of Italy!

George Gordon, Lord Byron,
Childe Harold's Pilgrimage: Canto the Fourth
For Andrew, who showed me Venice
NOTE: This dedication is to her husband, Andrew Grant, author of the David Trevellyan beginng with Even. He is also the brother of thriller author Lee Child.
"I'd expected jewel encrusted, not encased in a layer of dried blood."

The Huffington Post calls Tears of Pearl author Tasha Alexander "one to watch—and read" and her new Lady Emily mystery set in Venice proves it!

Years ago, Emily's childhood nemesis, Emma Callum, scandalized polite society when she eloped to Venice with an Italian count. But now her father-in-law lies murdered, and her husband has vanished. There's no one Emma can turn to for help but Emily, who leaves at once with her husband, the dashing Colin Hargreaves, for Venice. There, her investigations take her from opulent palazzi to slums, libraries, and bordellos. Emily soon realizes that to solve the present day crime, she must first unravel a centuries old puzzle. But the past does not give up its secrets easily, especially when these revelations might threaten the interests of some very powerful people.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:45 -0400)

Entreated for help by a childhood nemesis who has been wrongly accused of murder, Lady Emily launches an investigation in Venice that takes her from elegant palazzi to slums, libraries, and bordellos before she links the crime to a centuries-old puzzle.… (more)

Tasha Alexander is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible