A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery) by…

A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery) (edition 2012)

by Matthew Iden

Member:AdonisGuilfoyle
Title:A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery)
Authors:Matthew Iden
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Kindle, 2012

A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery) by Matthew Iden

Good mystery. Retired cop, plagued with guilt over a rogue copy who killed a woman some years before and walked, is now contacted by the woman's daughter, who fears that the killer is back and is stalking her. Meanwhile the ex-cop is newly diagnosed with cancer. Good characters, good plot movement... ( )
  DavidO1103 | Jun 6, 2014 |
Book Blog For: GMTA
Series: #1
Rating: 5

Review:

"Reason To Live" by Matthew Iden was a very good 'riveting and entertaining' detective mystery read from the start until its finish. This is the first in 'The Marty Singer Detective Series' and it will keep you on the edge of your seat guessing what was coming next. I found "A Reason To Live" well written by the author at a fast pace with lots of twist and turns with many surprises. I find that "A Reason To Live" will keep it all alive for you with stakeouts,shootouts and along with 'chemo treatments.' Now, what is that all about...We find Marty Singer from Virginia, has recently retired as a policeman who is now battling cancer, when " A murder victim's daughter comes to him worried she's being targeted by the same man who killed her mother twelve years earlier. "It soon becomes apparent that someone is stalking Amanda...was this the same stalker that had stalked her mother? This was a old case where a former colleague of Marty's got away with murder, literally, and now seems to have returned to claim another victim. Now, this is where I say you must pick up the excellent read to find out what all this author has in store for the reader. You will find it a very intriguing mystery with some well developed and captivating characters that in the end will gave you a satisfied ending. You will soon see Marty's struggle with "cancer, and the requisite rounds of chemo, bring another layer of humanity to the retired ex-cop archetype." Would I recommend "A Reason to Live"...YES! ( )
  arlenadean | Apr 8, 2013 |
A solid murder mystery about a detective who comes out of medical retirement to investigate a cold case. I don't usually read crime novels, so I'm not sure if the plot was original or predictable, but the action was evenly paced and I really like Marty Singer. He has a droll voice, in the style of hardboiled PIs like Spade or Marlowe, but the humanising angle of his illness rubs off some of the sharper edges. The ill-fated love interest, another classic feature of Hammet and Chandler, felt tacked on, like Iden was trying to prove Singer's manliness or something. Stick with the cat, Marty.

The case itself, of a young girl being stalked by her mother's murderer, is the type of crime that really scares me - betrayal of trust. What can you do when the enemy is also in a position of authority? I was hooked throughout, while relying on everything to turn out right in the end!

A tense thriller with an endearing detective. I'm definitely tempted to find out what draws Marty back out of retirement in the second novel. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Nov 23, 2012 |
It was really wonderful to read a book whose characters were so well developed and humanized. While Marty Singer is battling cancer he still finds the energy to help Amanda Lane for the second time. I will not write about the plot because I recommend you read it and feel the sensitivity of the author and his knowledge. I found have found a new author. ( )
  druidgirl | Oct 17, 2012 |
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

The story is classic detective mystery book. Iden's writing has a natural ease to it, and his characters are deep and well rounded. Just look at Marty, a retired homicide detective. Kind of cliche until you see that he's battling cancer.

I don't think Marty likes being retired either. He's a lonely man who is forced to look death in the face. This was a brilliant move because here is a guy who has dealt with the ugly side of death his entire career, now he has to deal with the possibility of his own.

Amanda, the daughter of one of his unsolved cases, showed up at the perfect time. He needed a project, to be needed. She needed help, and the police weren't an option. She knew the murderer was back, but it wasn't anything concrete and basically the police failed her the first time around.

This is a great book. If you like Michael Connelly or Jonathan Kellerman, you will love this. ( )
  lilacwolf | Jun 29, 2012 |

Matthew Iden is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,046,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible