You Take It From Here by Pamela Ribon

You Take It From Here

by Pamela Ribon

Shockingly centered and engaging given its highly contrived plotline.

I read this because it was mentioned in Roxane Gay's Bad Feminist.
  sparemethecensor | May 1, 2016 |
Pamie is the only person on the planet who can get me to actually read something best described as "chick lit." Worse, she usually manages to make me like it.

The premise of You Take It From Here is nuts, and it stays nuts almost all the way to the end. I can't describe if it's intentionally about a tremendously toxic, co-dependent relationship, or if Ribon just likes bossy women even more than I do. But the characters are deftly described, and everything they do makes perfect sense for them, that the oncoming trainwreck becomes fascinating in its inevitability.

And, in the end, it does make sense. Because cancer sucks, and losing friends, parents, and loved ones sucks, and you do what you have to. Even if it's a little nuts. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
When I first heard about this book, I was intrigued by the premise. Would Danielle want to or be able to step into Smidge's shoes? I had to find out. (Don't worry, I won't spoil it for you.)

Smidge turned out to be a pretty unlikeable woman. She was bossy, rude, and presumptuous. I had a hard time understanding why Danielle was friends with her at all. Their relationship was definitely codependent. I found it to be authentic though; I know women who have friendships very similar to Danielle and Smidge.

Even though I didn't like Smidge, I still enjoyed the book. The characters were well-developed and layered. I especially loved Smidge's husband's best friend Tucker. He was comic relief and the voice of reason at the same time.

Because I am a cold-hearted snake (see my review of Skipping a Beat), this book was not a sob fest for me, although it certainly was sad. However, if you are the type who bawls at movies like Beaches, then this book will give you a good cry. I thought it was a great summer read. ( )
  mcelhra | Jul 12, 2012 |

"A poignant and funny tale of a woman whose best friend, Smidge, wants her to take over Smidge's family after Smidge dies of cancer"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,768,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible