Carnage Road by Gregory Lamberson

Carnage Road

by Gregory Lamberson

What the FREAKING FRAK! I was definitely into this story about two former members of a biker gang, Walker and Boone, who decide to take a post apocalyptic across a zombie infested America. The characters were interesting, the world as presented was cool, and the writing was good (except for a few and far between spattering of really bad grammer mistakes). I liked seeing the different people and groups they met a long the way, most blaming others for the apocalypse (some blaming the liberals, some blaming the conservatives, etc.). It was all great and fun, right up until the freaking ending.

Look, I'm all for open ended endings. If an author wants to leave some questions unanswered, that's fine by me. Heck, more often than not, I tend to enjoy it. BUT there is a huge difference between "open ended" and "cliffhanger," which is exactly what this story ended on. And again, I don't have a problem with cliffhangers, providing they are part of a series or trilogy, and therefore, I know the story will continue at some point. But NO, this is meant to be a stand alone novella, and the writer MIGHT at some point tell more Walker and Boone stories. Un-bleeping-believable. Gah!!

I give this one three stars, because despite how much the ending annoyed the frak out of me, it was a really good story right up until that point. *sigh* ( )
  andreablythe | Sep 28, 2012 |
When the zombie apocalypse happens, it's every man for himself. American quickly falls apart as the ghouls take over cities everywhere. Boone and Walker are some of those living who are trying to survive. After their biker gang falls apart, Boone and Walker set out to see what's left of the United States. Their trip takes them from East Coast to West, and along the way they see some of the good and bad parts of people trying to survive. At the end of the day, Boone and Walker can really only rely on each other, but that may not be enough to keep them from being zombie food.

Carnage Road is a novella, so it's a quick read. It packs a lot into the limited number of pages though. You get a clear view of the desperation and horror of the zombie apocalypse that has taken place. You also get a real sense of the difficulty of surviving a situation like this. This book had enough horror to give you a sense of the terror they were facing, but it wasn't so awful that it kept me from sleeping or anything. I like that though. I feel like it was graphic enough without being too graphic (for a zombie book anyway).

In the end though, this ended up being a great story about friendship. Here are two guys trying to survive something horrific, and yet they are still able to keep a good sense of humor and perspective about things. There are a few stops along the way that are pretty hilarious. The description of zombie Hollywood was amazing and funny at the same time. The end of the story leaves you with sadness but also a bit of happiness knowing these two friends are going into this together. Fans of horror and zombies should definitely check this story out.

Book provided for review. ( )
  l_manning | Jun 18, 2012 |
This was a quick read (more or less 100 pages) but it was a good one. It’s almost like a very dark violent version of The Walking Dead. There’s plenty of blood and gore, and it’s brutal. Much more brutal, it makes the zombie books I’ve read in the past seem like ‘zombie fluff’. That being said, I really enjoyed reading this.

Boone and Walker are a classic friendship duo. Walker seems to be the more serious one of the two but their banter is fun to read - typical language and thinking you’d see in a motorcycle gang. (So, no. No swoon worthy guys here. But that’s the least of your worries when the zombies are coming, isn’t it?). They’re likable and made the book interesting and enjoyable.

I’d also have to say, it’s pretty realistic as well. It paints a grisly but possibly realistic picture as to what would happen in a situation like this. There were some parts where other people were just as dangerous (even more so) than the zombies themselves. The Hollywood part was fun to read though it made me giggle. Just a bit. :D

I’m not sure what to think of the ending. In one sense I liked it because it’s realistic, it’s what I expected but, there was this small little voice inside of me wanting to crave more and was sad at the outcome. So I could go both ways on this. Nevertheless I really did enjoy this novella and I urge everyone who likes zombie lit to pick this one up. It’s a quick read and can be finished in a day. ( )
  sensitivemuse | May 21, 2012 |

BOONE AND WALKER Boone and Walker are the last members of the Floating Dragons motorcycle gang. When the zombie apocalypse turns the world upside down, they hit the open road to discover America. No responsibilities, no rules, no system. Like Frank and Jesse James, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, all they need are steeds and sidearms. THE ROAD TO HELL But this bloodstained road is paved with the walking dead: shambling corpses starved for living flesh. The few humans left are no less hungry, and Boone and Walker encounter remnants of civilization desperate to survive. In some cases, the living are even more dangerous than the dead. RAW CARNAGE First west to Hollywood to gaze at the stars, then southeast to the badlands of Texas, Boone and Walker make a last stand on behalf of humanity. Along the way guns blaze, rotting flesh bakes on the asphalt, and friendship and loyalty are tested to their limits. CARNAGE ROAD CARNAGE ROAD is Gregory Lamberson’s unforgettable ode to westerns, biker pictures, and the cinema of the living dead. PRINT IS DEAD is a new line of top-quality zombie novels brought to you by the critically acclaimed indie publisher, Creeping Hemlock Press. Each title is available in both paperback and e-book format. www.printisdead.com GEORGE A. ROMERO ON PRINT IS DEAD: "These guys know more about the undead than I do. and that's saying something, because I've been hanging out with zombies for as long as I can remember."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:37 -0400)

Gregory Lamberson's ode to westerns, biker pictures and the cinema of the living dead.

Gregory Lamberson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,604,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible