India Black and the Rajah's Ruby (A…

India Black and the Rajah's Ruby (A MADAM OF ESPIONAGE MYSTERY) (edition 2012)

by CarolK. Carr

Member:unabridgedchick
Title:India Black and the Rajah's Ruby (A MADAM OF ESPIONAGE MYSTERY)
Authors:CarolK. Carr
Info:Berkley (2012), Kindle Edition, 62 pages
Rating:*****

India Black and the Rajah's Ruby by Carol K. Carr

God, I love this series and this character. I'm not usually one to rate a 30-page novella more than three stars, but when it's India Black, with her trademark hilarious wit and sarcasm, how could I not? She's a smart, adventurous, crafty woman and her exploits are never dull. What the ebook lacks in overall page length, it more than makes up for in sheer entertainment. I always have fun with this character, and while there was no French to enjoy this go round, I can always reread the the longer novels while I anticipate the third, due out soon (February 5, 2013!).

Carol K. Carr made a huge fan out of me with her first two, full-length novels about this unique Madame of Lotus House. India Black and the Rajah's Ruby is a short ebook special that explains just how India graduated from bint to madame of her own establishment. It's not much of a novel, but it still manages to carry India's distinct voice and humor ("..I speak the truth. I usually do, unless there's a good reason not to."), as well as twist ending to amuse readers. Fans who ate up the longer books, and even those who have not had the experience of reading the late-chronologically but earlier-published works, will do well to pay the $2.99 for a sneak peak into what made India into the formidable madame she is.

New characters, old habits, smart women and a giant ruby make for a very fast read. India Black and the Rajah's Ruby is a well-designed teaser to whet appetites for Carr's third novel featuring London's most curious madame. Short, simple, and highly enjoyable, all I can do now is sit and wait impatiently for India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy. ( )
  msjessie | Feb 4, 2013 |
It is no secret I adore Carol K. Carr's India Black series. The first book made my top ten of 2010 and the second book was a welcome return to a character I adored.

This is a prequel, of sorts, to the India Black books, set during her days as a prostitute (and not the madam she is in books one, two, and three). About 40 pages long, it details the incident that launched India into her madam-ship, so to speak, and as with the previous India books, has the cheeky humor, droll sexiness, and the brazen escapades I've come to associate with Carr's novels.

For those unfamiliar with this series, while India is a madam, this isn't historical erotica or even really historical romance.  Carr  intimates what India has done, what happens in India's brothel, without being gratuitous, gross, or clinically detailed.  India's profession makes for a wonderfully unique heroine and her world an intriguing, unusual setting for a Victorian mystery series.  While not a 'clean' novel technically, this isn't salacious in the slightest, and if you like Victorian settings, rowdy heroines, and snark married with action, give India a chance.

This e-short is an excellent introduction to India Black and Carr's wonderfully droll writing style if you're unfamiliar with this series; and if you're already a fan, you're going to love this naughty, wicked slice from India's past. ( )
  unabridgedchick | Jan 23, 2013 |
Good short story -- India demonstrates how clever she is: a lot of street smnarts! ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Jan 5, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible