A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton…

A Day No Pigs Would Die

by Robert Newton Peck

Found this at my local library on display with some other historical fiction books. Although it is intended for a juvenile audience I thought I would give it a go. Glad I did. It's funny in places and sad in others and you can't help but fall in love with the adorable 12 year old Rob. Quick easy read that took me away from the more "heavier" adult reading and let me just relax into a coming of age story. The only thing keeping it from a 5 star for me was it was a bit graphic in some places (animals mating, slaughtering of farm animals) and for the age group it is written for I thought those areas were a bit much. ( )
  justablondemoment | Aug 14, 2014 |
I read this one out loud with Scot. It was a really good story, but very sad! Spoiler alert: there actually is a day when pigs will die! I asked Scot what he thought about the book and he said he really liked it too. There is a surprisingly detailed account of the farmers trying to get two pigs to mate...I have to admit I skipped a few sentences of it here and there, but we got the idea. :) Overall, this was a worthwhile read that we enjoyed! ( )
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
In the book A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck, Robert is faced with many challenges. Will he keep the family farm up and running or will it fail?
In my opinion the book is written in great detail. It describes what it was like to live around the time of the Great Depression. Also it describes the challenges that they faced during this time period. ( )
  br13clma | Sep 13, 2012 |
I read this to my 3rd grade son at night over the course of a couple weeks. He may have been a bit young for it but he handled it well. There were plenty of opportunities for us to discuss a variety of things such as birth, death, work, religion, animals, materialism, illiteracy, etc. whenever he had a question. Also, it's a good book for a father to read to his son due to the simple yet strong relationship between the main character Robert and his father. I certainly enjoyed it; one chapter in particular had me in stitches, while at least three of the chapters were difficult to read aloud without choking up. My son thought some chapters (15 total) were good and some were boring, but I can tell from his questions and reactions that it's a book he will remember for a long time.

Other than the story, the narrative voice of the book's protagonist is a brilliant achievement. Robert is reliable in his honesty and sincerity, but his unwittingly adolescent take on some subjects will keep you smiling. The language used by the Peck family and their neighbors is rife with folksy similes and imaginative phrasings that make the book highly recommended for any lover of American colloquialisms. ( )
  crunky | May 8, 2012 |
To my father, Haven Peck... a quiet and gentle man whose work was killing pigs
I should of been in school that April day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679853065, Mass Market Paperback)

Originally published in hardcover in 1972, A Day No Pigs Would Die was one of the first young adult books, along with titles like The Outsiders and The Chocolate War. In it, author Robert Newton Peck weaves a story of
a Vermont boyhood that is part fiction, part memoir. The result is a moving coming-of-age story that still resonates with teens today.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:22 -0400)

To a thirteen-year-old Vermont farm boy whose father slaughters pigs for a living, maturity comes early as he learns "doing what's got to be done," especially regarding his pet pig who cannot produce a litter.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,359,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible