A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton…

A Day No Pigs Would Die

by Robert Newton Peck

The last chapter had me choking back the tears. I read this book probably in about Grade 5 and from there went on to read all Peck's books. This is my first re-read and I can see why it affected me so much at the time and I also see that it began a long-lasting relationship for me with this type of literature. I'm still drawn, today, to books about farm people, mountain people, uneducated folks, living off the land, living plain and simple. And books that end with sadness and people dying, books that some would call depressing but rather I see the redemption that will follow after the book has been closed.

This is Peck's first book and is autobiographical; he even uses his and his father's own names for the characters. Set in 1920s Vermont it opens with a violent, brutal first chapter involving a cow birthing gone wrong and the main character being injured. The rest of the book follows suit. This book is very real where the animals are concerned and gets banned or censored regularly by animal rights activists making it a good choice for Banned Books Week. I just love the rawness of this story, the love of this simple family living off the land, the Shaker ways they try to uphold and the plainness of the language. It makes me want to re-read all Peck's books again from the 70s and 80s and read all the new ones I haven't read. I see a sequel was written in the 90s. One certainly isn't needed, but it will make for an interesting read to find how Robert's next year on the farm fares. This is a keeper for my shelves, but I'll have to scout out for the hardcover edition I remember from my 70s childhood. ( )
  ElizaJane | Oct 18, 2015 |
The themes were classic and touching, but I had a hard time getting into the "grossness" of it (farm stuff). Blood, pigs, county fairs, vomit, you know. Yuck. But I can see that it would really reach some of my kids who could relate to those aspects of life that a former city girl like me can't handle. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
So. Depressing. ( )
  brleach | Jan 26, 2015 |
This book annoyed me. The boy seems very slow for his age. Also there was misinformation about Shakers in the book. Finally it just seemed boring. Definitely not a book I enjoyed. ( )
  KamGeb | Jan 17, 2015 |
Found this at my local library on display with some other historical fiction books. Although it is intended for a juvenile audience I thought I would give it a go. Glad I did. It's funny in places and sad in others and you can't help but fall in love with the adorable 12 year old Rob. Quick easy read that took me away from the more "heavier" adult reading and let me just relax into a coming of age story. The only thing keeping it from a 5 star for me was it was a bit graphic in some places (animals mating, slaughtering of farm animals) and for the age group it is written for I thought those areas were a bit much. ( )
  justablondemoment | Aug 14, 2014 |
To my father, Haven Peck... a quiet and gentle man whose work was killing pigs
I should of been in school that April day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679853065, Mass Market Paperback)

Originally published in hardcover in 1972, A Day No Pigs Would Die was one of the first young adult books, along with titles like The Outsiders and The Chocolate War. In it, author Robert Newton Peck weaves a story of
a Vermont boyhood that is part fiction, part memoir. The result is a moving coming-of-age story that still resonates with teens today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:51 -0400)

To a thirteen-year-old Vermont farm boy whose father slaughters pigs for a living, maturity comes early as he learns "doing what's got to be done," especially regarding his pet pig who cannot produce a litter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,266,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible