A Fountain Filled With Blood (A Rev. Clare…

A Fountain Filled With Blood (A Rev. Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne… (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Member:GavinSteyn
Title:A Fountain Filled With Blood (A Rev. Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne Mystery)
Authors:Julia Spencer-Fleming
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

A Fountain Filled With Blood by Julia Spencer-Fleming (2003)

The Tentmaker (Lily Connor) by Michelle Blake (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: Female Episcopal Priest Mystery

From Amazon:

My Thoughts:

The plot moves right along -- hardly a dull page in this book -- and although I wasn't particularly surprised at the outcome, it was an entertaining trip to get there. Julia Spencer-FLeming describes location very well, so well that you could imagine being there,

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
As the title might hint, this installment in the Clare-and-Russ story is rather more dark and violent than the other two I've read so far. It begins with the stomach-knotting threat of hate-filled obscenities shouted at a small group of gay men, and follows immediately with the fulfillment of that promise of violence as a character who made a memorable appearance in In the Bleak Midwinter is stopped and beaten on his way home.

There are messages here, but they're like Clare's faith – there throughout without beating anyone over the head. This was a solid installment in the series. This is a series I keep forgetting about, and I need to make sure I remember it better. It's a keeper. ( )
  Stewartry | May 11, 2016 |
It's been six months since Clare Ferguson, former army helicopter pilot and current Episcopal priest, and Russ Van Alstyne, police chief of Miller's Kill worked together on their first crime. They've been studiously avoiding one another ever since in an effort to keep their mutual attraction from gaining ground. During the Fourth of July holiday, two gay men are attacked and badly beaten in a manner that appears to be a hate crime. Clare is convinced Russ should warn the gay members of the town but Russ isn't convinced it's a specific hate crime. When the third attack kills a developer involved in a high profile land development deal, Russ suspects there may be more to these attacks than anti-gay grievances. Many people in town are involved in the protests against the land development deal since contaminated PCB ponds have been found in the area. Economic supporters want the jobs and the environmentalist want to stop the development.

Maybe I should be uncomfortable with the growing attraction between Russ and Clare but I'm not. Russ is happily married to a woman who we never hear from in the books and is kept “off stage” in a clever move. They both want to be friends but that is so difficult when they are such soul mates, to use a corny phrase. They use a lot of humorous dialog and their characters are so different and interesting. The character development is never done at the expense of a well plotted mystery. The small town of Miller's Kill will be familiar to any reader who ever lived in one. The author has a good eye for detail and there's a fabulously exciting, well-written helicopter scene in this story.

If you are worried about reading a preachy type story rest assured these are not religiously themed mysteries. While Clare is an Episcopal priest the books don't focus on religion. The prayers and Episcopalian rituals are added for atmosphere and I find them completely unobtrusive. Great series of mysteries. I'm already on book three and have picked up the others, as well. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Millers Kill, New York is the setting of this small town murder mystery. The Episcopal minister Clare is shocked by a rash of vicious assaults and she and her good friend the police chief Russ are shaken when it appears the victims were gay. However, other things begin to happen and Clare and Russ are both in grave danger....
  SABC | Jan 7, 2014 |
Excellent story-telling. I'm right on to the next Clare/Russ book :) !! ( )
  Conkie | Oct 17, 2013 |

Trossbach, StefanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
~To the Memory of~
Victor Hugo-Vidal
1933-2002
We will meet, but we will miss him
There will be his vacant chair
We will linger to caress him
While we breathe our evening prayer.
—Henry J. Washburn and George F. Root
The yahoos came by just after the dinner party broke up.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312995431, Mass Market Paperback)

Nestled in the heart of the Adirondacks, Millers Kill, New York is about as safe as it gets. That's why Episcopal minister Clare Fergusson is shocked when the July Fourth weekend brings a rash of vicious assaults to the scenic town. Even Clare's good friend, police chief Russ Van Alstyne, is shaken by the brutality of the crimes—especially when it appears that the victims were chosen because they are gay. But when a third assault of an out-of-town developer ends in murder, Clare and Russ wonder if the recent crime wave is connected to the victim's controversial plan to open an upscale spa in Miller's Kill. Not all things in the tiny town are what they seem—and soon, Clare and Russ are left to fight their unspoken attraction to one another even as they uncover a labyrinthine conspiracy that threatens to turn deadly for them both...
Julia Spencer-Fleming follows up her award-winning debut mystery, In the Bleak Midwinter, with the equally riveting A Fountain Filled with Blood.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:57 -0400)

Reverend Clare Fergusson teams up with her friend Russ Van Alystyne to try and find the killer who is stalking the members of her parish.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,226,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible