Shades of Murder by Lauren Carr

Shades of Murder

by Lauren Carr

406262,368 (4)None

Note: Even though this is Book 3 in the series, it works just fine as a stand alone.

Mac Faraday, a retired cop and the unexpected inheritor of a famed mystery writer’s fortune, decides to delve into a cold case file when a long-lost painting comes into his possession. With the help of his girlfriend Archie, his dog Gnarly, and his half-brother cop David, they may be able to untangle this cold case. Meanwhile in Pennsylvania, lawyer Joshua Thornton has agreed to look into yet a different cold case, one that nearly everyone assumes was committed by a serial killer who has been behind bars for years. Detective Cameron believes him and offer her aid along with a bit of mutual affection.

I really enjoyed this addition to the Faraday/Thornton murder mystery series. It was great seeing how Joshua’s and Cameron’s relationship got started. Cameron’s cat Irving was also a lot of fun and Joshua’s initial response to this ‘detective’ cat was amusing. Honestly, I love how forward Cameron is about everything. She makes no excuses or apologies for her cat and she gets her job done even if it means pissing off management. It’s great that she was the first to show real interest in starting a relationship.

I’ve read several Lauren Carr mysteries by now and I was guessing that the two cold cases were probably related somehow but the link between the two was not immediately obvious and for a good chunk of the tale, I thought that perhaps this book would be the odd ball. No worries! It’s not and I enjoyed how the author tied the two together.

In this particular book, Mac reveals that he’d like a little more out of his relationship with Archie and he doesn’t understand why she doesn’t sleep over, or why he’s not invited to sleep over at her place. After all, they have a fully affectionate relationship otherwise. The answer at the end of the book was amusing and I’m glad these two worked it out.

The murder mysteries themselves were very interesting. Initially, I was more interested in Joshua’s since it involved a serial killer, who is in prison, making a heartfelt plea to the lawyer to look into this particular Jane Doe, swearing he had nothing to do with her. That definitely piqued my interest. Faraday’s mystery took me a little longer to get interested in simply because it looked like so much was known about it all those years ago. However, it turns out that it’s not that simple. There’s plenty there for Mac and Archie to piece together.

I received a free copy of this book via iRead Book Tours.

The Narration: Mike Alger was a good fit for this tale. I liked his voice for Cameron quite a bit as he managed to sound like a mature yet playful woman who knows her mind. I also liked his voice for Mac, sounding decisive. He was great with the humor as well. I did feel his accent for Greta could have used some polishing. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Jun 18, 2017 |
A nice relaxing read with a mystery to be solved. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 2, 2016 |
Seven years ago in Deep Creek Lake, Ilysa Ramsay, world famous painter and wife of multi-millionaire defense contractor Neal Hathaway, was brutally murdered in her studio, and her final painting, a self-portrait with family and friends, was stolen. Now, Mac Faraday, a former homicide detective who has recently inherited a multi-million dollar estate from best selling mystery author Robin Spencer, the biological mother he never knew, has just received Ilysa's missing masterpiece from an art dealer who knew Robin. Could the clue to Ilysa's murder be in the image of the portrait? Meanwhile, a convicted serial killer has asked prosecuting attorney Joshua Thornton to investigate the Jane Doe victim which he claims was mistakenly grouped by the media with his actual victims eight years ago. When his investigation of Jane Doe with the assistance of Det. Cameron Gates, the beautiful lead detective on the original case, suddenly uncovers a startling connection between the Jane Doe murder and the Ramsay murder, the case brings them and the FBI to Mac Faraday's door. This is a fast ride of a murder mystery tale that is a little over the top, but still enjoyable for murder mystery fans as secrets are revealed, relationships are tested and Mac uncovers the answers to a very complex puzzle. ( )
  kerryreis57 | Mar 27, 2014 |
An Original Who Done It

Shades of Murder followed the ‘who done it format’ but the story was very original. So many possibilities, great characters and last minute twists kept me entertained to the end. Lauren does a great job conveying the action scenes and giving the characters depth. Best of all was Gnarly! Read the book to see what I mean.
  ElisabethZguta | Nov 7, 2013 |
I'm so glad to have had a chance to read such great mysteries. Lauren Carr's Shades of Murder did not disappoint me in keeping up that trend.

A car accident. A murder. A stolen painting. A serial killer. Years after all occur, different investigators find themselves looking for the same person only to find more than they ever bargained for.

This was an excellent story with many storylines pulled together in a masterful way. What seems to be separate incidents becomes one with many participants. Ms. Carr does a wonderful job in keeping the reader hooked from page to page and creating such interesting characters that are deep and work well together.

You don't have to worry about excessive intimate scenes or foul language. Even murders are not terrible disgusting. This book was reminiscent of the old murder mysteries that I grew up reading and watching in the 70s and 80s.

This is a great summer read that you won't be disappointed in. Though I guessed early on who the murderer was, I was not left feeling empty handed. The story was wonderfully crafted and will have you wanting to finish it before the sun rises again.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of The Virtual Book Tour Cafe' and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by The Virtual Book Tour Cafe', no payment was received by me in exchange for this review nor was there an obligation to write a positive one. All opinions expressed here are entirely of my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, the book's publisher and publicist or the readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides ( )
  RebeccaGraf | Jul 2, 2012 |

Lauren Carr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible