Superman: Earth One Vol. 2 by J. Michael…

Superman: Earth One Vol. 2 (edition 2012)

by J. Michael Straczynski, Shane Davis (Illustrator)

Title:Superman: Earth One Vol. 2
Authors:J. Michael Straczynski
Other authors:Shane Davis (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 136 pages
Collections:Greg's Library
Tags:j. michael straczynski, graphic novels, read: ssw, read: gaw

Superman: Earth One, Volume Two by J. Michael Straczynski

1503 (1) 2012 (4) 2013 (1) action (1) adventure (1) capes (1) Clark Kent (1) comics (11) crime (1) DC (4) DC Comics (1) DCU (1) Earth One (3) elseworlds (1) fiction (6) graphic novel (17) hard copy (1) hardcover (4) noir (2) science fiction (2) series (2) sf (1) superhero (3) superheroes (6) Superman (13) teen (1) to-read (5) unread (1) wishlist (1) YA (2)

I'm still getting used to the slightly different Superman and Clark characters, but I definitely like the idea of the Earth One books. It's sort of like it's totally from the beginning. So I seem to be good to go as long as I read the Earth One books with no preconceived notions.

For example, I really liked the Parasite's back story and really, really liked the new look the artist gave him. He wasn't the same old purple blob as in the other Superman comics and animated serieses.

I liked the art a lot too. But unfortunately there were a few characters who weren't supposed to look like Clark, but who definitely did. Also, Lois' character wasn't memorable at all. I think that the Lois character should always be a memorable one. Here she was just sorta blah. ( )
  DanieXJ | Apr 2, 2015 |
Disappointing followup to the excellent Earth One Volume 1. Whereas the previous volume was an interesting modern-day take on Superman that had a lot in the way of exploring the character of Clark Kent, this was mostly just a bad guy shows up and Superman is no match for him. And the villain, by the way, is drawn in such an absurdist manner it completely clashes with the "modern day mythos" style of the Earth One series in general.

I read this book last week and honestly, I can't remember much of anything else to say about it. Lois is suspicious of Clark and starts looking into his background a bit, but largely drops the issue. I think the most that happened in terms of character development was a bit about Clark wanting to have sex. No joke, his next-door neighbor throws herself at him (and she's drawn in such an overly sexualized way that it really ought to embarrass the comics industry in 2012. Move past this stuff, fellas), but he's worried his Super-spunk will kill her. We even get a flashback to Pa Kent warning him about such things.

Pretty forgettable, but generally enjoyable. Or at least, not objectionable really. I really would like to see a followup more like Volume 1. ( )
  rodhilton | Nov 14, 2014 |
It felt like a bigger story was just under the surface, but never quite made it there. ( )
  paulrharvey3 | Jun 24, 2013 |
A pretty average comic book offering, not at all justified by the fanfare and format. The reinvention of Superman that Grant Morrison has been doing in the mainstream Action Comics series is far more interesting. ( )
  EricKibler | Apr 6, 2013 |
Screw you J. Michael Straczynski and that cat story. Screw you and the tears you made me cry. ( )
1 vote akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |

Young Clark Kent continues his journey toward becoming the World's Greatest Super Hero, but finds dealing with humanity to be a bigger challenge than he ever imagined! From a ruthless dictator to a new love interest who's not Lois Lane, things are never easy for this emerging Man of Steel.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,854,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible