Superman: Earth One Vol. 2 by J. Michael…

Superman: Earth One Vol. 2 (edition 2012)

by J. Michael Straczynski, Shane Davis (Illustrator)

Title:Superman: Earth One Vol. 2
Authors:J. Michael Straczynski
Other authors:Shane Davis (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 136 pages
Collections:Greg's Library
Tags:j. michael straczynski, graphic novels, read: ssw, read: gaw

Superman: Earth One, Volume Two by J. Michael Straczynski

Very satisfying follow-up to Volume One, giving us a new take on the Superman story. This volume is all action as some old villains with new twists return to Metropolis. The main story concerns a serial killer who accidentally gets zapped by some sort of radiation and turns into Parasite. This gives Parasite a new origin story and identity. The fight between Supe and Parasite gives some good old fashioned superhero battles as the main story, but behind the scenes, the military is wary of Superman and trying to discover a way to kill him, if he ever turns against mankind. Entering on the scene are Lex Luther and his wife Alexandra. So far Lex seems to be a decent, moral kind of guy while his wife is the one with grandeurs of power. The art is fantastic too. Especially the nice modern take on Jimmy Olsen, getting rid of his nerdy image for a more attractive, hunky look. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jun 6, 2016 |
A worthy sequel to volume 1. The writing is very good and i especially liked the Daily Planet articles written by Clark Kent and Lois Lane included at the end. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I'm still getting used to the slightly different Superman and Clark characters, but I definitely like the idea of the Earth One books. It's sort of like it's totally from the beginning. So I seem to be good to go as long as I read the Earth One books with no preconceived notions.

For example, I really liked the Parasite's back story and really, really liked the new look the artist gave him. He wasn't the same old purple blob as in the other Superman comics and animated serieses.

I liked the art a lot too. But unfortunately there were a few characters who weren't supposed to look like Clark, but who definitely did. Also, Lois' character wasn't memorable at all. I think that the Lois character should always be a memorable one. Here she was just sorta blah. ( )
  DanieXJ | Apr 2, 2015 |
Disappointing followup to the excellent Earth One Volume 1. Whereas the previous volume was an interesting modern-day take on Superman that had a lot in the way of exploring the character of Clark Kent, this was mostly just a bad guy shows up and Superman is no match for him. And the villain, by the way, is drawn in such an absurdist manner it completely clashes with the "modern day mythos" style of the Earth One series in general.

I read this book last week and honestly, I can't remember much of anything else to say about it. Lois is suspicious of Clark and starts looking into his background a bit, but largely drops the issue. I think the most that happened in terms of character development was a bit about Clark wanting to have sex. No joke, his next-door neighbor throws herself at him (and she's drawn in such an overly sexualized way that it really ought to embarrass the comics industry in 2012. Move past this stuff, fellas), but he's worried his Super-spunk will kill her. We even get a flashback to Pa Kent warning him about such things.

Pretty forgettable, but generally enjoyable. Or at least, not objectionable really. I really would like to see a followup more like Volume 1. ( )
  rodhilton | Nov 14, 2014 |
It felt like a bigger story was just under the surface, but never quite made it there. ( )
  paulrharvey3 | Jun 24, 2013 |

Young Clark Kent continues his journey toward becoming the World's Greatest Super Hero, but finds dealing with humanity to be a bigger challenge than he ever imagined! From a ruthless dictator to a new love interest who's not Lois Lane, things are never easy for this emerging Man of Steel.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,743,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible