The Summer I Learned to Dive by Shannon…

The Summer I Learned to Dive

by Shannon McCrimmon

Diving is a metaphor for Finn's life after she gets to South Caroline. She's learning to dive in and live life. Until her graduation, she believes that her father is dead and her father's family didn't want her. But she comes across a card, proving her mother kept her grandparent's a secret from her. Livid, she hops a bus to South Carolina to meet them, and finds herself for once, not living according to the "life plan" that she and her mother had abided by. Finally, she's free to be a teenager, socialize, date and fall in love. ( )
  nancynova | Mar 24, 2014 |
This book was just ok for me, I enjoyed parts of it but not others.

Full review on my blog www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
First thing's first: Shannon McCrimmon can paint a beautiful scene with words. I could see the setting before my eyes. Wonderful prose, I was taken aback. I didn't really expect it to be so good.
However, it was sometimes a bit repetitive, and the author often points out the obvious. Also, I get that Finn is a well-read, smart young woman, but the use of words like "obsequiously" and "acquiesced" was a bit over the top. Why not simplify? But it didn't bother me too much.

Finn's somewhat melancholic voice had me a bit depressed. I completely understood why she was that way, she lived a very sheltered life orchestrated by her controlling mother, and living like that must have been really lonesome and sad. I'm just saying, it really got to me how...lifeless she was. At first she seems like she likes it that way, but soon you realize that she was very unhappy with that life. I loved watching her coming out of that shell and learning to live her life to the fullest.

The whole cast is actually great and colorful. Her grandparents and Jesse, Hannah and Meg, too, even her mother and father. Meg and Hannah were something different than usual in these kinds of books. I loved them.

It's a pretty fast read, with perfect pace so it can be read in one sitting (which is what I did!). I really liked it. I love kindle freebies! ( )
  AriBookzilla | Sep 21, 2013 |
Finn Hemmings is graduating from high school, she is the valedictorian of her class, and she has her life all planned out, college, med school. Finn has even spent all four years of high school devoted to this plan. She has studied all the time, neglected friends and a social life, but for a greater purpose, or so she thought. On graduation night, Finn happens upon some cards that her mother has been keeping from her. All her life, Finn has believed that her grandparents didn't want anything to do with her, and her discovery proves that that has all been a lie. She has always wanted to know more about her dad. Her mom had told her that he died when she was small. Needless to say Finn feels hurt and betrayed by her mother. Finn takes off in the middle of the night to Graceville South Carolina to find her grandparents with nothing but a return address on an envelope to guide her. When she arrives her grandmother welcomes her with open arms, and her grandfather, though glad she is there, is a little bit harder to warm up to. Nevertheless, Lillian and Charlie Hemmings impact Finn's life in a way she never imagined. Finn goes to work for her grandfather at his diner, she makes friends, which she has never had before, and she meets Jesse, the boy she falls in love with, who is quite the hottie by the way. Finn learns to love, she faces heartbreaking situations, and she learns that life isn't always about a plan; sometimes it is about not being afraid to follow your heart.

The Summer I Learned to Dive is a wonderful book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is sweet, heartwarming, and inspiring. I loved all the characters in the book, especially Finn. I enjoyed watching her transform from caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly. Jesse was definitely swoon worthy, and he had some really difficulty things to deal with to. This coming of age story was well written and entertaining. The characters not only faced some tough decisions, but made some really good choices when faced with them. I loved the focus on family, and the romance was really sweet. There is no foul language or sexually explicit situations, and this is something that both young, old, and those of us in between can enjoy. I am looking forward to the sequel to this story. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Jun 29, 2012 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible