In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on…

In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership (1989)

by Henri J. M. Nouwen

Through the lens of Jesus' temptation in the wilderness, and his commissioning of Peter at the end of John's gospel, Nouwen sets a trajectory for Christian leadership. He wrote this book after leaving academia for L'Arche and one of the best parts of the book is his description of how Bill, a developmentally disabled man, shared in Nouwen's ministry in presenting this material in Washington, D.C.

Nouwen questions contemporary leadership culture and the chasing of relevance, popularity and power. I wonder how Nouwen would critique social media. This short book is one of my favorites from Nouwen. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
I am always challenged when I read Nouwen and this time especially so. His short book on Christian leadership is 180 degrees from everything we hear and everyplace we want to go. I agree with him. "The most important quality of Christian leadership in the future. ...is not a leadership of power and control, but ...of powerlessness and humility in which the suffering servant of God, Jesus Christ, is made manifest." It is a short book - it can easily be read in a half hour. But to be inwardly digested will take more time, and will be worth the effort. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
Bible, Practical Theology
  CPI | Jun 30, 2016 |
Great read. ( )
  shdawson | Feb 13, 2015 |
This is the only book that I can say I have read so many times I cannot remember. In a day when ministry "success" is measured by pragmatism and proficiency, Nouwen reminds us that it is about Jesus. A deep little book that is easy to read and transformative to the soul. A must read for every believer who wishes to go forward and live "In the Name of Jesus". ( )
  dgregoryburns | Dec 29, 2013 |
Ihre Bitte, Ihnen einige Gedanken über Seelsorge und Menschenführung im kommenden Jahrhundert vorzutragen, hat mich in einige Verlegenheit gebracht.

Henri Nouwen was a spiritual thinker with an unusual capacity to write about the life of Jesus and the love of God in ways that have inspired countless people to trust life more fully. Most widely read among the over 40 books Father Nouwen wrote is In the Name of Jesus. For a society that measures successful leadership in terms of the effectiveness of the individual, Father Nouwen offers a counter definition that is witnessed by a "communal and mutual experience." For Nouwen, leadership cannot function apart from the community. His wisdom is grounded in the foundation that we are a people "called." This beautiful guide to Christian Leadership is the rich fruit of Henri Nouwen's own journey as one of the most influential spirtiual leaders of the 20th century.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,376,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible