In the Name of Jesus by Henri J. M. Nouwen

In the Name of Jesus (1989)

by Henri J. M. Nouwen

Henri Nouwen was a spiritual thinker with an unusual capacity to write about the life of Jesus and the love of God in ways that have inspired countless people to trust life more fully. Most widely read among the over 40 books Father Nouwen wrote is In the Name of Jesus. For a society that measures successful leadership in terms of the effectiveness of the individual, Father Nouwen offers a counter definition that is witnessed by a "communal and mutual experience." For Nouwen, leadership cannot function apart from the community. His wisdom is grounded in the foundation that we are a people "called." This beautiful guide to Christian Leadership is the rich fruit of Henri Nouwen's own journey as one of the most influential spirtiual leaders of the 20th century.… (more)
Member:LWTRLibrary
Title:In the Name of Jesus
Authors:Henri J. M. Nouwen
Info:Crossroad Pub Co, book

In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership by Henri J. M. Nouwen (1989)

This is one of the best books on Christian leadership (or on just following Jesus) that I know. Powerful. Concise. Insightful. Convicting. Reflective. Definitely worth reading multiple times. ( )
  nrt43 | Dec 29, 2020 |
I’ve read this book before, and since it is required reading for some schooling I’m taking in a couple of weeks (and it’s short), I decided to read it again.

Now, I think I’ll make it required, annual reading for myself. Not only does Nouwen's teaching respond with me, his experience and illustration is quite relevant for my work. ( )
  DwaynesBookList | Aug 14, 2020 |
This is one of the books i try to read every year. I just finished it again and it's still worth reading every year. The message is intended for Christian leaders, but the ideas are of value to all Christ followers. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
Henri J.M. Nouwen shares his insights from his life with people with a mental handicap, in hope that they will give you some kind of inkling of the direction to take when wondering about Christian leadership in the future. In sharing his reflections with you, he uses as his guide two stories from the Gospels: the story of Jesus' temptation in the desert (Matthew 4:1-11) and the story of Peter's call to be a shepherd (John 21:15-19).
  StFrancisofAssisi | Oct 8, 2019 |
With his customary simple and passionate prose, Nouwen writes here about Christian Leadership. Nouwen takes the leadership attributes encouraged by the World and uproots them, turning them around, and showing how the Servant-Leadership of Christ Jesus is different. He illustrates this by examples from his own failures and struggles as a leader – going from the hallowed halls of Harvard to a community for mentally and physical disabled people where all his leadership skills suddenly became pointless and useless. It is from that place of humility he speaks to the Christian Leader, encourage and admonishing.
Although this book is simple and short, it is powerful. I would strongly encourage any Christian to read it – but in particular Christians who find themselves in a position of leaders, church or secular. Although written over 20 years ago, the message is still true and still needing to be heard. If leaders wish to be strong in the Kingdom of God they cannot lead the way the World does. They must lead the way Christ did. Nouwen’s book encourages this and is vital for any Christian. ( )
  empress8411 | Apr 2, 2019 |
Ihre Bitte, Ihnen einige Gedanken über Seelsorge und Menschenführung im kommenden Jahrhundert vorzutragen, hat mich in einige Verlegenheit gebracht.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,572,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible